Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed Retirement Age.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Proposed Retirement Age

Bill,what cant speak cant lie,I checked my profile this morning before this post and you were listed then.Bill stop digging would be my advice and now consider the matter closed.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default BSF Quacks

John Seabourn referred to the Indian Doc. in Shields who was not going to pass him fit. If its the same one I used to go to (opposite Campbell Maritime Offices, dont make the mistake of walking in there or you would be shanghied) he eventually got drummed out for poor record keeping though i used to think that so long as you were able to walk through his door unaided and did not mind peeing into the bottle in full view of all in the car park opposite, then you had passed.The next nearest MCA approved quack is a rugby playing irish/indian who spends time also appearing on the local t.v.
    He is ruthless in trying to turn you into a superfit human
    rgds
    JA

Gulliver Guest

Default Moving the GoalPosts....Further to Run!

It is ‘fortunate’ that I was born in May 1952,as I have just fallen within the December 52 ‘cut-off’ date,after which new government regulations will gradually be increasing the retirement age,to 66,then 67,68.... etc.

I will still get my state pension then at 65...but I have not entirely escaped scot-free!
    Why? Well I should have normally been receiving my concessionary bus pass at 60, but they are gradually increasing the age requirement for that as well..

I was quite looking forward to that now that I’m 60.I don’t run a car(through choice) so was quite chuffed at not having to pay for my bus rides,and saving a bit of precious cash.I have now to wait another 2 years until I’m 62 !(Deo Valente).I know,it’s still a bit cheaper though- and a lot less worry -than owning a car but it's still fairly expensive paying normal fares in certain areas.

As far as I know,the winter heating allowance of £200 per household(it was reduced recently from £250) will not be subject to the same rule ,so I should still get that. But you never know-things are being trimmed everywhere,and some of the hardest hit are we senior citizens.

It does seem that the goalposts for us are being moved further apart-probably in the hope that we will be dead before we ever have a chance to claim anything.
    I retired early,relying on my occupational pensions,but you just really can't predict how much money you are going to need in the future,so that is why any future erosion or change to the state pension I predicted I will get, to supplement my occupational pension,will really effect my quality of retirement in old age.

Whatever happens,I'm glad I was able to retire early,and enjoy it..I think 40 years working life is enough for anybody- I wouldn't like to have to work 50 years,retire,then drop dead within a year like quite a lot of unfortunates I have known over the years.

And the government want us to work to SEVENTY !....?

Excuse me,I need a drink,not a wooden overcoat.

Gulliver Cheers Wine.gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default work untill you drop no money for you

Hi shipmates This government wants us all to work untill we drop? All you super fit men ? on this forum will soon be back on the pool, and shipping out around the world again, only one probelm ? No Ships no pool .No Jobs No proper pay unless you will have to work for your pension? I see all the tax and money we put away for our old age we can give it away to all the illegals and our bruka and niqab wearing buddys, or maybe the government will do something like bring in a few laws to start to deport a few ? Not hopefull on that one , The E.U. has used the U.K. for a dumping ground for a few years there are far to many to send by air . Maybe a few new ships for this purpose? please sign me on .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Proposed Retirement Age.

I know I told Bill to draw a line under "Having a pint and a bet" but I would just like to explain to him that this is far better than being in a mahogany box as he puts it. I went out today met up with a couple of ex Blue Flu men had a steady 8 pints of John Smiths paid for by the bookie and went home £20 richer is that not far better than being in a mahogany box I ask you!!!!
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Jim his a Great Bloke

Hi Captain Bill,don't pick on Jim,great bloke honest,in every way and good family man not one of your ships crew.you can not Log him.smile alot,every day his a Bo'ness.Ken.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    The Government intend to raise the retirement age
    My recolection of Australian dock workers was that they would most likely reach 70 before they began to work.
    Here now in Oz the retirement age for men is still 65, but slowly the retirement age for women is being raised also to 65 from the old rate of 60. Once that is completed there is a plan to raise the age for all to 68, then at a later date to 70. The argument is that people are now living longer and shoule therefor be able to work longer.
    i am now retired but do as much as 25 hours per week as a volunteer in the local community health centre. I am of the opinion that if you are still fit enough you should do something to keep mind and body in good shape. There is an old adage, 'use it or lose it'.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Retirement

I think out here in Australia, they have a fair answer to this subject, which believe was brought out by the previous sane government. For every year you work voluntarily after 65 you receive a tax free lump sum. The ball is in the court of the retiree. Many take advantage of this. I was asked by employers to carry on working which I declined. Also consider the pension out here although not celubrious is sufficient to have a reasonable life style as long as your accomodation has been paid for during your working life. I worked for 11 years out here so was entitled to this. This is what it makes so obnoxious to me that so called refugees jump in to take advantage, the same as UK, of this. A bone fide immigrant does not receive any of these handouts, indeed it costs them a lot of money to be able to reside in this country, as have to be able to pay their way in medical expenses as such., and prove they will not be a burden on the country. Jump on a boat and everything is paid for. I have no time either for those bleeding hearts who advocate letting all and sundry take advantage of the tax paying public of Australia. This I blame on the present government of this great country. The sooner there is a change of government and a change in policy the better. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good Heavens David , free bus passes at 62 , winter fuel allowances etc , etc,

You don't appreciate how lucky you are living in the UK. plenty other countries simply don't provide
    such free benefits to their elderly.

Gulliver Guest

And Good Heavens to you too John ! I would hardly call it lucky or FREE- 40 years worth of tax and NI contributions paid!

You do make me feel rather guilty now,because ,you see.during my time on this planet GB, I've always had employment, never ever claimed any benefit or had extensive and expensive medical treatment,or received anything at all.
    Do you know ,I think I might just decline my pension entitlement when it eventually comes into force. I feel so lucky and grateful-I keep on telling myself(nay,even beating myself up) about the fact that I will be receiving a pension...sorry,it's a sensitive subject,thinking how lucky I am compared with all you expat Brits with nothing to look forward to in your barren retirements.

I do hope though,that concessions and benefits are just as good,if not better in the Netherlands where you chose to reside.

Best Regards
    Gulliver

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast