Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Reminisce

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brilliant, Rod, keep them coming old son !!!

...Roger

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default reminisce

unfortunatly i had to quit the sea in 1960 ish, and througherly missed the life and the mates. finally came to canada in 1964 by ship, the carmania, and landed in montreal. during the first couple of days got know a couple of stewards and was invited down to their mess after supper was over. hell of a lot cheaper than the upstairs bars, had great time during that week. in 2006 took a trip to Ireland with a couple of friends who go there every year. our first two nights were spent in a B&B near dundock. the second night, a saturday our hosts asked the four of us to share supper with them. during the meal and between more and more glasses of wine, the host kept leaving the table every half hour or so and was heard in the background trying to raise someone on the radio. he finally explained that he was trying to raise a ship that was due to dock the next morning. soon the conversation got around to the sea and as it turned out we both served on esso tankers and he was the harbour master and pilot for the port. after making contact, and after a few more drinks he invited me to join him the next morning. after getting the go ahead from her who has to be obeyed and our friends, it was up early and onto the pilot launch for the trip out to meet the Linda, a small cargo ship registered in veitnam and crewed by russians. up the ladder, all the the way up to the bridge wing, served coffee and watch my host and new found friend take the ship in. he took the helm all the way in. during that trip into port, my mind wondered back in time realizing it had been forty two years since i was last on a ship, what an experience, almost brought a tear to ones eye. wouldnt have missed it for anything, and the best of it was it only took about tree hours out of planned day, my wife and friends met me on the jetty.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You must have sailed with some funny people, or they had had a previous bad experience.

With UCL there were a lot of 'odd' ones but why the officers locked up we never knew, just the way they were. Though being a liner I know a couple used to spirit female bloods up to their cabins at night.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for your ticks of a approval lads. I only sailed on two ships that had multiple bunks, the Durban Castle (6) & the Southern Cross (8) all my shipmates showered regularly thanks to the man who invented salt water soap.
    On the Port New Plymouth we had a galley boy who in his previous occupation had been 2nd cowman on a Midlands farm. I kid you not . He must have gotten so used to the pong in the cow shed he seldom bothered with his ablutions, He was taken care of by the two boy ratings he shared a cabin with, in much the same way as Duke described.
    The only key I ever saw in the catering dept. hung on a 2nd stewards belt. No offence to any ex 2nds reading this but they were a miserly bunch. Famously miserable with the Teepol and the mutton cloth for the soujie . As a DBS on the Ruahine I was made to wash bulkheads all the way home from Auckland, as you know this takes a month, and I was made to wash my issue of mutton cloth, (by far the best for the job), until it was in tatters before begrudgingly being issued with another measly foot ( sorry 30 centimeters ), of same. All for a shilling which I don't recall actually receiving. If you feel inclined you can read all about this particular part voyage in the Short Stories section of this forum. Cheers lads Neil.
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I still have an aversion to shut doors and if any of the kids shut their door in the house I would go of my head over it. Even when I got the house renovated outside I got them to take out all the bedroom windows and install glass sliding doors as I could not see the sense of all that lovely fresh air going to waste of a night and security wise if there iis ever an emergency in this house exits a plentiful. Maybe I am unconventional but safety and freedom should never be compromised. End result only have four windows in the house now. But if ever the baliff comes round he will have his work cut out getting me.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ouch!

Les, I do hope you live in a bungalow

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Les you forgot to mention that you live in the moderate temperature capital of OZ . Half your luck. My life wanders between the chilly south and the sweaty north. As the actress said to the nosey steward.
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

john sutton Guest

best ship i ever sailed on
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Excellent story John.
    Enjoyed it, brought back a few memories of the old days and the characters.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default I wonder!!!!!!!!

If our forefather,s docker,s and Seaman would have posted if they had ,had the net and a site like this 40/50/yrs ago. And can you imagine the P.M.s between them I was recognised by a few of my old man,s and his brother,s {All ex seaman} friends who were Lpool docker,s then the docker,s all over the country had character and whit !!!!!!!!!!! went to work on there bike not 2 cars up there drive and there biggest fear was a hose pipe ban. I remember my old man had the bath filled with pure alcohol he would knock it out at 10 bob a bottle there was always a que at the door on a Friday, We kids had to resort to the old tin bath until it was empty. My old mam once found bottles of scotch stored in the wardrobe he and his mates were blind drunk for weeks with the profits, She had ,had enough of this and emptied it down the sink, My old man,s buddy,s off the dock nicknamed her Elliot Ness. Another time she threw about 20 suite lengths out in the front garden one night after he brought them home blind drunk. The next morning all we heared was bloody hell you will get me10yrs. And corned beef !!!!!!!!!! its a wonder we all havn,t grown bloody horns over the yrs. Tinned salmon xmas day every time a china boat was in. There was one of his mates caught at the gate with a dozen womans bra,s on. He never lived it down became known as tit,s Maddock stuck with him all his life. Even today if someone brings up his name he is refered to as tit,s Maddock, Everyone knows who you are talking about I can imagine a P.M. Between them what did you get for the suite length,s? Nearly got 10yrs. There will be plenty on here will remember the guy outside the Gladstone became known as the cheap jack !!! You would meet your old man coming off the dock and getting the friday fish and salt fish for Sunday morning. Docker,s nicknames for each other i remember my old man telling one of his buddy,s he was working with the spaceman !!!!!!!! Alway,s off to his Mar,s for his dinner. The port of Liverpool as did the rest of the country had character,s then. I remember being in K.G.5. in London a docker approached a seaman m8 of mine and asked anything you need scouse just let the lads know, He said i will stitch them up YEA!!! Get me a moped he asked i will meet you in the boozer tonight never gave it another thought walked into the boozer and this docker asked him will the one outside do for you Happy day,s lads Regards Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast