Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Still relevant today ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Found that years ago if there was to be a strike over conditions or safety that it was the members involved who would conduct a down tools meeting and try to thrash the issue out with the relevent person in charge. Most times these disputes where resolved real quick and everyone was happy. If it could not be resolved then a snap strike would happen before the union itself got involved to come to some sort of agreement. This resulted in quite a few stop work meetings or short strikes because it was handled by the workers involved and union participation was sort for legal clarification if needed. They also where answerable to us to try for higher wages and can not ever think of a time that we where out on strike for that in the union that I was in. Now if the workers want to strike they have to get the union involved from the start and have it sanctioned which in turn makes the whole situation a shambles of outright war between managment and union officials with the worker not getting a look in any more. It is that type of union that I defend not the beurocratic ones of today that. No we had it right years ago if there was a problem we sorted it out then and there. Now it goes to court and becomes national news with so many wanna be big noters trying to make a name for themselves to the extent that have forgotten that the bloke on the end of that broom is his boss. So yes have a go at those idiots but remember that it was from the sweat of workers that the union movement started not some bloody uni kid.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Les you have afair point there about the beginings of the unions. In my opinion the best thing that has happened of late is now secret ballot befoe strike action is taken. It at least allows the membership to speak it's mind without fear of retribution.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my time at sea 02/55 - 04/05 they were totally irrelevant and caused me unbelievable aggravation.

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks for your reply mr strange. although i beleive that safeways is very big in the US. in england they sold out to morrisons. morrisons took over the then co-op supermarkets which i believe were originally called elephant or something like. then theco-op took over somerfield who at one time took over kwiksave after a trial partnership resulting in kwiksave going bottom up. asda is now owned by walmart and aldi and lidl's are german, a cheaper type of supermarket, as is netto's a swedish one. tesco and sainsburys are the biggest.
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Alf, i think ASDA recently bought Netto, the Netto in Ramsgate was pulled down and rebuilt as ASDA.
    Last edited by Tony Wilding; 29th July 2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    Tony Wilding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Worked 28 years as bakery manager for Safeway. Yes they are a US company.
    It was a great place to work with good wages and lots of benefits. Sadly it has changed for the worst. I retired 20 years ago [disability] so had the best of it.
    Den.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bill Davies View Post
    In my time at sea 02/55 - 04/05 they were totally irrelevant and caused me unbelievable aggravation.

Bill
    Daresay that there are a lot of foremen that would agree with that. Not everyone could get it right and do the right thing by the workers could they.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alf corbyn View Post
    thanks for your reply mr strange. although i beleive that safeways is very big in the US. in england they sold out to morrisons. morrisons took over the then co-op supermarkets which i believe were originally called elephant or something like. then theco-op took over somerfield who at one time took over kwiksave after a trial partnership resulting in kwiksave going bottom up. asda is now owned by walmart and aldi and lidl's are german, a cheaper type of supermarket, as is netto's a swedish one. tesco and sainsburys are the biggest.
    In the 1960's a guy by the name of Bill Pratt opened a small chain of supermarkets here in Victoria. He was bought out by Safeways the US company. I worked for them for a short while in the early 80's. At that time all senior management were sent to Us for six weeks training. There was at that time a superamrket company in NSW called Woolworths. In the 90's Safeway US sold the franchise to Woolworths. As store required refurbishing or new ones built the name was changed from Safeway to Woolworths. They now own about 70% of all pubs and hotels in Oz along with about 65% of all bottle shops. They also Own the Caltex service stations along with a number of other businesses. they are now working with Masters, UK eqivqlent of B&Q, to open a chain here.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3