Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Still relevant today ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Numast

Agree with you Brian to a certain extent. During a low period in my life when work was hard to come by, I worked in UK ships which did not reconize the Union. On my approaching Numast they said their hands were tied re. conditions etc. I would also state here that I believe some of these vessels should never have been at sea without certain modifications etc. so there was a lack of BOT inspections also. It was either take the job or not. I will state here however I did receive backing when I applied to them for any necessary legal advice re. a court of enquiry. I suppose I was there mainly for such purposes as they also insured your certificate in the case of collission or whatever. Myself and 4 others received the Numast award in 1991 and had a good couple of days in Harrogate at the Trade Union Congress, all expenses paid, so in some ways was reinbursed for some of my cash contributions to them over the years. NUMAST is called something else now I believe and the name slips my mind at the moment. The numast levy was very small compared to the Australian Guild which was paid as a percentage of your income, believe I may be wrong but think it was either 2 or 3 percent of your gross annual salary. Cheers John Sabourn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All.
    What Unions? My Dad was the sec of the local Welsh steel workers union in Gorsienon near Swansea, he worked double shifts in the war but if someone knocked on the door at midnight he still got up and attended to whatever was wrong, might have been logging a claim or some such thing. I didn't take much intersest in the British Seamens union other than to know that the leadership was rotten and on the take. I was a delegate in NZ in the seamens union and the carpenters then the same here in Aus, I saw the deteriation and the manipultion of members, I was black banned by my own union here and had dificulty getting a job {had to join the Sydney Waterboard} when I supported elections, as they had been more or less a set up with the same officials standing every year. Now most unions in Aus are run by Labour party apperchecks waiting to go into Parliament. I still believe workers need a strong and honest union to look after their wages and conditions, but I'm afraid that is not going to happen in this world anymore.
    Cheers Des

May Dame Fortune always look down on you
    But not her daughter Miss Fortune.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Days of old

Hi,
    Lots of slagging of rotten officals etc. no problem there,but nobody mentions the work put in over the years of the good guys,if anybody thinks that a worker has good deal from the kindness of the boss's heart, he probably belives in the tooth fairy as well.

Len.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default unions are very much needed today

Hi Shipmates, Have you asked your self this questions? why were the unions formed? what is the purpose of any trade union? and Do you trust any business, Big or small to give a fair rate of pay and safe working condition to its workforce? Big business today as in the past only care about the bottom line/share holders= profit cheap labour only helps this i.e China today plenty more workers if one is killed !!!! very much like years ago at sea and down the mines The unions in the past had probelms with some people who were crooks, much like the banks today. stealing funds e.t.c. but theys allways a few bad apples.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very true words Len because there where and are some real hard workers amongst the unions doing a good job but unfortunatly there are those in high profile unions that have been rorting the system. No mention is made of the coal face union delegate that has to sort out problems between the workers and managment. Mind you have come across a few of them that could rearrange the facts of a meeting when reporting back to the work force but that seemed to happen later on in my working life and in general around the 70's to early 80's found most of them looked after their members. Still maintain that politicians where instrumental in weaking the unions because they where getting to strong and where in fact nearly becoming a political party in their own right and establishment did not want another party at the national trough. Just think of it this way? years ago a blue collar worker was able to become elected to parliment and many did. How many from grass roots non academic workers can you name as politicians now. They all seem to be either uni educated, ex teachers or high standing people and look at the sh8t these so called educated idiots have got us all into. What was the saying they use? Pay us peanuts and you get monkeys. Well we are paying larger peanuts now and getting larger monkeys.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    No Alf, our Woolworths you would know as Safeway the supermarket chain.
    Safeway doesn't exist in the UK anymore.Not in my part of it at least.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Safeway in the UK was purchased by Morrisons , Summerfields was purchased by teh Co-op . Asda purchased by Wal-Mart , I like Aldi and Lidl
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cost Cutter?

Bibby Line

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes all 1300 plus stores in the UK.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have to admit I have never been a big fan of the unions. However in some cases they have been necessary to protect the workers. That can not be said about the NUS or MNAO. Total arseholes the lot of them. When I was promoted from 2nd Steward to Purser/Chief Steward, holding a lifeboat certificate and a fire fighting course certificate along with a ships cook certificate of competancy, my first voyage in that rank was a Blue Star Line charter to New Zealand. During our stay in Auckland we received a visit from the local rep who professed to be from the MNAO. Have to be honest I did not think these people had spread their wings that far.
    Anyway he came to my office, asked me how the voyage was from Europe etc etc and then informed me that the MNAO now accepted my job as that of an officer. My reply was "and your problem is do I accept your association, the gangway is on the port side".

Regards
    John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast