Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Olympic games

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Must agree with Jim #22, so much negativity not only in UK but here in Oz as well. Went to a lceture a couple of weeks ago about economic crisis. The main problem is no one is prepared to look at even the smallest bit of good news. But as for the games, we had them here in Sydney, going to set the country on fire, do so much for us, still waiting!!! Had the commonwealth games a number of times, same result. It costs the country a great deal of money but the returns do not justify the expenditure. The only benifit is the infrastructure left behind. Athletes villages becoming housing, new sporting satdiums that may otherwise not have been built. But there is also a lot of disruption to the locals, hotels and restaurants do well, as does some private dwellings let out during the time. Bit like the curates egg, good in parts. As for the media, they are just another bunch og parasites who would spin their grannie if they thought there was something in it for them.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 16th July 2012 at 06:39 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Brisbane

What about the next great meeting of our world leaders in Brisbane. I reckon shes getting her own back on Queensland. Cheers John Sabourn
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th July 2012 at 06:28 AM.

Gulliver Guest

Talking

In Weymouth? I doubt many pay it Tony!

Those fences?

Weymouth& Portland Council:-
    “The decision to close off the gardens has prompted rumours of other fences being set up to block views of the sailing race areas. There are plans to build security fences around the national sailing academy, where teams, boats and officials will be based, and the athletes' village on Portland.
    However, the organisers insist there are no schemes designed to block anyone's view of the water.They say they want to include everyone, pointing out that those without tickets to Nothe Gardens will be able to follow the races from Weymouth beach, where a big screen will be set up.”

That quote is not from the Daily Mail.(God forbid) !

Back to my thoughts again.
    About those fences round the Gardens?

You will find that the decision by the council to utilise the park and earn some money by opening Nothe Gardens as a paid viewing venue ,is opposed by those anarchic Brits who have no intention of watching the Games anyway but ,just like the summer riots of 2011, want to bring down the country and protest by kicking everything that Britain tries to do for it‘s residents..I heard the two other groups of ‘dissidents’ who don’t like the idea are the down and outs who won’t be able to leave their syringes and empty vodka bottles in the park,after another good night out , and the dog-walkers who won’t be able to let their pooches sh*it all over the place in the morning.
    And at least no residents are going to have their homes demolished,like they did to build certain venues for the 2008 Beijing Olympics !

Damn,I sound like a Guardian reader now. Maybe I’ve finally grown up……..

Gulliver
    Last edited by Gulliver; 16th July 2012 at 07:37 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    What about the next great meeting of our world leaders in Brisbane. I reckon shes getting her own back on Queensland. Cheers John Sabourn
    Methinks it is her back she should be watching!!! I can see a Ruddy great knife lurking in the wings.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5