Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The future of shipping

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The future of shipping

will there ever come a time in the future when shipping will become fully automated no crew needed? with all the computerised gadgets we have today plus backup will ships ever ply the seas unmaned could it be done if planes can fly unmaned why can't ships sail unmaned?? just a thought.jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I heard that a company,[ Maersk??] with its new BIG class of container ships have the ability of sailing between L.A. and Japan or China in 14 days completely unmanned. Once clear of the land, the course and computers are set, the men are airlifted off, when it gets to the other side the men are airlifted on to berth it.
    I then heard that the Insurance companies would refuse to accept that idea. it is "What if"
    What if, it is hijacked, What if, there is a fire, What if, there is a collision, What if there is a breakdown, .....
    What if,................
    ..........?
    What if, my aunt had goolies, She would be my uncle.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John,

I have been on a few very sophisticated ULCCS in my time where I could be forgiven for thinking I was the only one onboard. Eighteen crew! Like, I suppose, living in a monastery, not that I have ever been in one.

Brgds

Bill

4. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default the Future @#&%$^%#@$$%^%

I feel that in the Future not only will Ships be able to Sail unmanned,also such as Cars being driven without anyone ,Planes Flying willy nilly,Trains Speeding along at breakneck speeds ,and to top it all of us poor Humans being driven by Computers,with none of our own thoughts as to what the H--- is happening!
    But thats in the Future,the very distant future!
    Weee! just look at that unmanned Spaceship Daddy!! What the @^%$*^%$#@ are you on about Son!!#$@(&*^%??????
    If Pigs could Fly!!@#%&^%$#@!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 13th July 2012 at 11:55 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I cant see that happening, the sea is a totally different enviroment.
    Tony Wilding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never, say never Tony!

I recall in the 50s several old China boat Bosuns claiming the talurit would never take off.
    Basically, the technology is there and as long as owners are prepared to take people out of ships and entrust their investment to technology well thats for them and the Underwriters to worry about..

I can easily see ships like ULCCs and such sailing from Ras Tan to Europe with say half a dozen aboard.
    The ships I mentioned above having 18 men onboard rarely met up with each other but I think I am getting into a cultural thing here.

The Japanese for example being of solitary dispositions could achieve this easily as well as say Koreans.

I can't imagine Europeans doing it so easily.

Brgds

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The mind boggles really with the thoughts of unmanned ships criss crossing the shipping lanes, various sizes and speeds. One wonders if the situation as Brian relates, were once clear of the land, the course and computers are set, the men are airlifted off, then when it gets to the other side the men are airlifted on to berth it, is full of pitfalls.

When the ship reaches its destination, what if the weather is extreme or there are other circumstances which prevent anyone boarding the ship, like a breakdown in communications and nobody is there to meet it, does it carry on running into whatever bit of land is on its course line or will it be remote controlled to stop it and anchor it ?. Also if the vessel met bad weather, would there be a system for slowing it down and altering course to allow the vessel to weather the storm so as to speak.

There would I should imagine be many other things that could and would go wrong and that is probably why it has never been enthusiastically pushed as a viable proposition.

Chris.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my son works for maersk line he tells me there is a new fleet on the drawing board i will get some information and put it on the site. i will ask him to put something together he organises the containers on the big ones {Alabama / savanna. type}.jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i do know that a ship that carries over 15 crew has to now have a doctor on board?jp

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the cost of fully automating a ship to cover all aspects of safe operation would outweigh normal running costs, and what happens if the automated system fails, engine breakdowns and other failures, ? severe sea conditions, the loss rate would be astranomical.
    Tony Wilding

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast