Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Socially Acceptable Living Standard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Socially Acceptable Living Standard

An article in the Times today declared that £38500.00 is required for a Socially Acceptable Living Standard.

Can anyone explain please??

Bill

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Have not found this yet:

Have not found this yet:

Is this to do with:

The generous parents helping their adult children and losing £50k from their pension

Read more: Parents who support adult offspring forfeit up to £38,500 from pension | This is Money

?

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well i my case i think i did the right thing we subsidised two of our boys while they were learning a trade in them days they earned £35.00 per week as young lads they wanted the things others their age wanted to keep them at the trades they chose we gave them money and i bought any tools they needed for the job and it paid of after they finished their trade apprenticeship they were totally self supporting one son recently married it never cost myself or the wife a penny or his wife's family. there is never a cut of point when parents don't help their kids as grandparents how many child mind the grand kids that saves them thousands a year in child care a friend of my sons pays £1200 per year and that's a lot before any home bills are paid ? so you never stop supporting them thats what parents do so i think its a lot more than £38.500.jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I kept my son until he was 25 years old before he had his first wage. and bought and paid for thousands of pounds of books and equipment and a full human skeleton and all kinds of stuff including fees, board and lodgings in Liverpool with transportation when he was a Student. Not cheap. I also paid the deposit of several thousand pounds for him to buy a house in Richmond London. It paid off, .... for him. He is now the top Consultant Hepatologist. I just hope he remembers his poor old Dad when I am skint.
    My other son was also a student in Uni. and didnt earn a wage until he was 22 after I had to pay for board and Lodgings in Glasgow with transportation and books etc etc , He now works for Cable and Wireless.
    I started work in a cotton mill when I was 15 and at sea when I was 16.
    Maybe they can pay my fees when I am consigned to an Old Folks Home, sat in a square in an arm chair, nodding and smelling of urine like the rest of them. But will they come and visit me???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian your son can put you out of your misery so it will pay off its good that you think ahead?lol.jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a good idea John , I wont have to go to that Clinic in Switzerland. or he can give me a new Liver when this old one packs in.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

try an onion brian liver and onions always go togetherjp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sociable living

Bill, by my reckoning thats 740 pounds per week. What is the old age pension now? any rises that have happened since I came to live here were stopped. Old age pension remains at what it started at in 2002, but am sure it is nowhere near the stated figure. I reckon if I had remained in the UK I would have still been paying off my mortgage, at that time the only way to raise money was putting on the mortgage. The many times I have been back to uk, it seems to me to get more depressing every time, people living there probably dont notice as much as when you are living away and return. The uk is not and unfortuanetly never will be the place that I fondly remember, 740 pounds a was a yearly salary in my time. However the whole standard of the country is different, the only pleasure I get in going back is seeing family, and if lucky enough to find a decent pub. Cheers John Sabourn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bill.
    They are having the same debate here in Aus about what is a socially acceptable standard, child benifit cuts out at around $150,000 and people on that amount say they are poor. We being pensioners are not socially accceptable on $29,000 therfore we got a $2 a week rise, politicians who four months ago got a rise are now getting a further $50,000 a year, that's socially acceptable as come the election next year it will for many of them disappear.
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default pensions

Taff, they reckon that the illegal immigrants are a lot better off than the genuine Australian pensioner. They still insist on calling them refugees. This present government has a lot to answer for and this is only one of the clangers that they continue to make. I have no time at all for politicians of whatever colour or gender, but am most impartial to green. The intelligence of some of them makes me wonder at times. Cheers John Sabourn

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast