Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Canada Day

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Canada Day

Would like to wish you all a 'Happy Canada Day' July 1st.
    Been here 44 years July 10. When we arrived we didn't know it was Centennial year.
    Thought all the flags were in honour of our arrival!!
    Great country to live in.
    Den.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default 145th National Birthday:

Canadians also celebrate a 145th National Birthday:

From coast to coast to coast, communities put their unique stamps on the day. On Parliament Hill, the Peace Tower carillon will ring in British-legacy military pageantry, including a 200th anniversary look-back to the War of 1812 and a concert. Elsewhere, people will celebrate with citizenship ceremonies, maple beer swigging, a yoga fest, block parties, some cheering for our Olympians, kicking back at the cottage, horse shows, “O Canada” singing contests, a Montreal “mega-cake,” salmon barbecues, Inuit games, bannock-making, a Bollywood fashion show, line-dancing, and all manner of revelry.

"As the world goes, the challenges we face are modest and the resources we can marshal are vast. Canadians are strong, united and confident. With national leadership and vision, there is little that we can’t accomplish. There is much to celebrate today and good reasons to wave the flag".

Enjoy !

LINK: On Canada Day 2012, show the flag for all of us - thestar.com

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Canada day

Dennis in Vancouver

Yes it stretches all the way across Canada, but whilst you are having a late BBQ, we shall be thinkng of watching the fireworks!!!! and those on the east coast will be in bed!!!! what a vast country this is and what a wonderful place to live, I have been here since 1972 and cannot think of a finer place to have moved to.
    We in canada listen to all the folks on this site moan and groan about good old England but when it comes down to it you all have a choice of where you want to live and with that goes the problems that every country has of one sort or another, yes we have them here too. but the advantages outway the disadvantages and thats why it is a good place to live.
    happy 'Canada Day" to all my onsight friends accross the country, and to the rest I hope you all have a happy day too.
    keith moody
    Winnipeg,
    Manitoba,
    Canada

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dennis & Keith in the west et al

And a Happy Canada Day to you as well. It's been a beautiful day here in central Ontario so far, with festivities in small towns everywhere. Saw the Snowbirds fly over Orillia yesterday and will be watching fireworks from Blue Mountain this evening. All in all, a lovely weekend.

Cheers!
    Jacyn
    Ron's Daughter
    R399144

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hello old Friend! (Den)

Hello old Friend!
    Well hope you had a good Canada Day (not Canada Dry haha)Canada_Dry.jpg
    Sorry i am a wee bit late,but actually Yesterday on the 1st July it was my Sister-In-Laws Birthday on the day!
    We went to Gosford Central Coat Leauges Club,to Celebrate it!
    Hope things are not too bad with you! and Family!
    Keep smiling mate!

The Birthday Girl is travelling to Canada as well mid July,will be visiting her Cousin in Toronto!

Take care Den!
    Doc Vernon

Awish for you too Jacyn! Hope the day was great,at least you say the Weather was good!
    It was Snowing here in the Blue Mountains (here too)on the 1st July! Brrrrr!!

imagesCALROXE3.jpg
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 1st July 2012 at 09:40 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you, Vernon, for your wishes. Your Blue Mountains appear much more impressive in size than ours, ours resembling more a large hill than a mountain. Our Blue Mountain marks the beginning (or the end, depending on one's point of view) of what's known as the Niagara Escarpment and runs for miles towards Lake Ontario. It is a very popular place for skiing in winter, though, and the view from the top over Collingwood and Georgian Bay is spectacular.

Stay warm...

Jacyn
    Ron's Daughter
    R399144

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mountains!

Hi Jacyln
    Our Blue Mountains are also very large in Area,and if you go up futher towards the Snowy Mountains about 4 hrs from here there are lovely Ski Slopes all over very popular resorts!

I love it here in these here Mountains!

Ski Fields, Snowy Mountains, NSW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Mo...ew_South_Wales)
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Canada Day

Canada as one of the countries that i took a fancy to .Vancouver i really liked the place i did think of jumping ship there .I also liked St John

Tony Morcom Guest

Believe it or not Lou I also came very close to jumping ship in Vancouver in June '77. We were there for 6 weeks after discharging and awaiting orders. Not untypically for a young newly qualified 3rd mate, I met and fell in love with a girl and the sparky fell in love with her flat mate. Our last night there was a very long night for me and him trying to decide whether we were going to stay or sail. But sail we did. The sparky subsequently jumped ship in Singapore and flew back there. The first big regret of my life was not going with him, the 2nd was coming back to the UK and marrying the girl I was already engaged to which led to the single biggest mistake I ever made and that was leaving the sea at the end of '79. My mother told me some years later that the girl had been trying to contact me via them for nearly a year after I left Vancouver. I've always wondered whether this was true love or was it that I have a son or daughter that I don't know about?? Guess I will never know as I have never been able to contact her again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Canada Day

I am a bit late but just opened my PC. I left the sea in the UK in March 1953 and went to Canada on the old QE to NYC and the train to Toronto where my uncle George had immigrated to after being demobbed after the first World War. I got a job with the (Canadian) Western Assurance Company in Scott Street, Toronto and had two and a half years there. Left just after the the new subway train lines opened and Eatons and Simpsons were independent stores. Wonderful country and wonderful people. I still have cheese my apple pie and wonder what could have been had I made it "My home for years to Come".

If you like a good story about Canada in the depression of the 1930s and the life of a "Mountie" in the Arctic, Canadian John Owens has recently written a novel that is based on reality. it is "On the Rails" featuring a lad from Winnipeg.

Here are some pictures I took just before I left in September, 1955.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Richard Quartermaine; 2nd July 2012 at 04:01 AM.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast