Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Canada Day

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the good wishes on Canada Day.

Just a couple of comments.
    Keith I live on beautiful Vancouver Island.Not Vancouver. Us Islanders are very particular about that.
    Jacyn. You folks on the other side of the Rockies don't know what a real ski hill looks like.
    I can say that with a certain amount of authority after teaching skiing for more than Twenty two years over a large amount of this country. Including Whistler.
    Also fantastic powder skiing in the Rockies and central B.C.
    Don't know anything about Vernon's mountains though.
    The above comments to be taken in the spirit they were given.
    No offence please.
    Regards.
    Den.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Dennis,
    I also loved Vancouver Island, only saw a small part, Comox, Courtenay,and a couple of days across to Tofino, sure is a nice part of the world, my cousin lives in Comox. I also think that Vancouver is one of the nicest cities that i have visited, closely followed by Perth WA. With the weather we have here in Uk at present i envy you. Regards KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Den, no offense taken whatsoever and even though I am not a skier, I quite agree. First saw the Rocky Mountains 6 years ago and was awestruck; they are absolutely beautiful. However, our little Blue Mountain is all we've got and the view from atop is beautiful. Hope you are enjoying the same brilliant weather we're having here in Ontario.

Richard, yes, it's a wonderful country but you wouldn't recognize Toronto now. Lived most of my life there and glad to be out of it now. The subway lines have extended themselves greatly and are continuing to do so and, most sadly, the old Eatons store is long gone, replaced by the Eaton Centre, a large mall and the recent site of a deadly shooting. So sad to see the city go this way...

Cheers!
    Jacyn
    Ron's Daughter
    R399144

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Canada day

sorry den. didn`t mean to insult you by saying you lived in Vancouver, just one of the slip ups i seem to make the older i get.
    I have visited both the island and main land of BC and think it is beautiful countryside all over, there is an exception though and that is around 100 mile house where they took all the trees away, looked a bit baren last time i was up there in the 1980`s, I too have relatives living in Vancouver and also Prince George whom we visit on a regular basis, but not this year due to the flooding out there.
    we on the other hand are in the middle of a heat wave, no rain in Winnipeg for the last week and apart from a shower this afternoon nothing in the forcast for another week except highs today of 32 and the rest of the week around 27-29, WONDERFULL!!!
    we will be thinking of this weather in december when the temps. drop to -35-40.
    jaycn, I know how you feel about the mountains, we have one here called Riding Mountain, Well the Manitobans call it a mountain but when i went to school in Dover ( England) I had to walk up a bigger hill than this just to get there.
    in regard to ski slopes, yes even in the middle of the prairies we have them, some are man made others are natural, not as big as the BC ones either, most people have heard of the RED RIVER VaLLEY, this depression in the ground is quite deep in places which lends it slopes to ski resorts in the winter, so we have 10,000 lakes to fish and water ski on in the summer along with some fantastic beach`s for swimming and all the winter sports you can think of, what a wonderful country, what more do you need??????
    keith moody
    R635978

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hear you, Keith. It doesn't really matter where you live in Canada, there is something for everyone. As much as I love the Great Lakes, personally, I really love the East Coast, or at least what I've seen of it which is only New Brunswick and Nova Scotia so far. Fell in love with Lunenburg a few years back and I'm dying to see the rest of it, Cape Breton, PEI, Newfoundland and Labrador. One of these days...

Cheers!
    Jacyn
    Ron's Daughter
    R399144

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith, as I am sure you know. Courtenay is a part of the Comox Valley. We are just 4k from Comox. Also agree with your comments regarding Vancouver. Lived there when we first arrived. Love the Island best though.
    Give me a call when next in the area.

Jacyn. I have heard of your mountain. Have skied Calgary Olympic Park.
    Believe that was also built out of garbage or some sort of waste.
    Love the old comment from a Prairie man.
    When asked how he liked BC, he replied. Not bad, but the mountains spoil the view!!
    No doubt you have heard that one, but non Cunucks may not have.
    Den.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, have heard that one, Den. Trust a prairie man! Found the mountains a bit claustrophobic, myself, and not too turned on by the prairies. Couldn't live without a large body of water nearby - would prefer the ocean but the Great Lakes will do for now.

Cheers!
    Ron's Daughter
    R399144

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 4 Den and Jacyn

Hi to you both!
    Here is just a little Vidoe of the Snowy Mountains Area,its not just about the Skiing,but may give Den and you Jacyn a look at the other side of us Mountainmen!
    Its a beautifull part of the World,and the Ski Slopes are very large as you will see!
    Well just a small insight!
    This is of course quite an old Video,and much has improved since then!
    Many more Ski Slopes,Lifts etc!
    Hope you may enjoy this!
    Cheers

Roof of Australia - YouTube

Best vision from Perisher Blue - YouTube
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey, good stuff Vernon.
    Looks like nice snow.
    Some years back, I was asked to go to OZ on an exchange program for instructors. For some reason I declined. Think it had something to do with my Bride.
    Also had the same offer from Japan.
    A large percentage of the instructors on our mountain [30 minutes from my house] are from OZ and NZ.
    One of my friends used to bring over a bunch to Whistler for six weeks of training for level 1 and 2 CSIA [Canadian qualification]
    Think now they have their own standards down there.
    Always fun guys to ski with. Sometimes they were known to have the odd party!!
    Den.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Canada Day

I have enjoyed reading these posts and i must admit Vancouver Island was really beautiful it is something like NZ fiordland we also have some very lovely mountains all within a few hours drive from where i live not that i am a skiing fan i love living near the sea

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast