Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Its Raining again!!!and Supertramp are not around

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim air bricks make sure there is an airflow beneath a wooden floor to prevent any damp turning into wet rot or dry rot that is why the bricks have to be so low. water will get in through any cavity brick work.JP

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Scorchio !

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    Just what is happening with the weather in the U.K.
    rgds
    Capt. John Arton (ret'd)
    Did try to post yesterday, seems the gremlins have been sorted, my wifey chose yesterday of all days to visit her mum, dad and bro in Wallsend. She describe the latter part of the journey as the worst ever drive. Texting early said it was difficult but she was only approx two miles from home, still South of the Tyne, but nearing the tunnels.

That all changed and she arrived safely approx four hours later, checked the news and saw all sorts, lightening striking the bridge, traffic cones floating down a road, the token postie still delivering mail and the token shot of the pub: gernerally along with the church a safe haven and the old geezer with his pint.

I was stuck in Milton Keynes amidst a heat wave.

Scorchio !

Has the hose pipe ban now been called off up North ?

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Its raining again!!!

John, many of these houses are built with what is known as soldier coarses (I think that is the correct spelling) where you live I dont believe that they have cavity walls.I dont think that you could have cavity wall insulation and I dont believe that you have airbricks!!!Many of these house that you see are old terraced they dont have airbricks and to my mind would be easy to keep out the flooding,many of them have a front and back door.
    A soldier course is where you see maybe four courses of brick then a brick crossways across the brick,four courses then the end of a brick,there is no cavity wall with this build.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hose pipe ban up north

Kieth
    Hope your wife reached her family safely and that they did not get hit by all the flooding. It was that bad they actually had to shut the Tyne Tunnel and parts of N. Tyneside were some of the worst hit, in 2 hrs a month's worth of rain fell.
    Both daughters were in Newcastle when it started and it took them 5 hrs to get the 10 miles home by car. They were following one car that went into a flooded part of the road not knowing how deep it was, next thing the car in front was floating. Daughter just managed to stop in time but had to wait ages before they could turn round and find an alternative route.
    Wife and me left our business to go home just as it started and boy what a drive home we had.
    Just got through the Tyne Dock area before it started flooding, this dispite them spending fortunes on building huge underground drain sumps to prevent the constant flooding of the area....so much for that.
    We live at the top of a hill so no problems for us but some of our customers have been badly affected. One poor lady was woken by her young son crying, the water was feet deep in her house and he was almost drowning in it!!!!!
    Today, completley different, blue skies and nice an warm. Local councils have done a really good job clearing up, looking around you would never guess that we had such terrible floods yesterday.
    Hose pipe ban?
    Forget it, you cant lay your hands on one, theyy are all been usedfor pumping out houses!!!
    rgds
    John A

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim in 9in wall it would be a header course to tie the bricks in a soldier course is a brick standing upright but the air bricks should be under the inside floor height so that air can travel through the house but under the wooden floors? anyone who has these should always make sure they are not blocked and never replace them they may save your life if you have a minor gas leak{no build up}JP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default its raining

Well Tony our weather can be a bit up and down in the winter where i live its on the top of the hills approx 300 metres above sea sea level.We do get a bit of snow some years not any we get a lot of frosts temperatures go from 3c to 14c in the summer temperatures from 14c to 26c some times we do get it hotter we have our wet and dry spells in the winter we are well insulated and the house is nice and warm

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Summer:

Our summer, summed up:

THE SUN.jpg

THE RAIN.jpg

K.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Download summer:

Download summer:

SUMMER.jpg

k.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Louis Barron View Post
    Dont forget Dunedin its been snowing and its that bloody cold it would freeze the nuts off a tractor Mum said take your cold hands off me
    Lou mate it is winter, what do you want, a bloody haet wave? We have just had the wettest June on record here in Melbourne, but it is winter. To add insult to injury we had a couple of days when it only got to 10 degrees.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 12th July 2012 at 06:27 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3