Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sycamore Trees

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Placement

Copper nails must be placed near the roots of the tree to do damage. The copper must get into both the roots and the shoots of the tree, which means it must be transferred throughout the tree to be an effective killing agent. When copper nails are driven into the tree near the roots and begin to inhibit the tree's ability to take in nutrients, slow death will occur. Copper must also get into all parts of the tree before it begins to have toxic effects, which means you must drive several nails in a circular pattern around the base of the tree. Even with proper copper nail placement and depth, death by copper nail is long and drawn-out for a tree. The tree will suffer slow nutrient deficiency before it dies, and the process could take many months.

Read more: Will Copper Nails Kill Trees? | eHow.com Will Copper Nails Kill Trees? | eHow.com

Older folk used to hammer in the big copper pennies. I have used copper pipe, works a treat.
    Bob Hollis

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default sickamore (sic)

sorry to hear about your problem Jim. Read an item the other day with reference not unlike your own dilemma where a neighbours tree (leylandi) was encroaching on his property. After numerous altercations, not to mention expensive counsel, he resolved the problem by sneaking into his neighbours garden in the dead of night and urinating on the roots. It worked, the tree died, but unfortunately he'd been spotted on cctv and was subsuquently prosecuted. While not suggesting that would be the answer to your problem,(are sycamores wee sensitive)? it's worth a go, although you may need to top yourself up with several gallons of Tetleys in the Caradoc before your attempt.
    gilly

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sycamore Trees.

Thanks for the advice from those who have replied.They were some pics them Charlie I would'nt fancy sitting there when they came down.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dubrovnik

Hi Jim,enjoy you two weeks holiday with family.My youngest son Andrew and his wife our on a cruise the ship Crown Princess,they were Dubvonik on Saturday they went on the cable car and walk on the famous wall.Take Care from Ken.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim them trees that crashed into my place were silver Gums,i had four of my own. After that happened i got an Aborist in All my Neibours were elderly at the time and to allay there fears of same thing happening i got the ABorist to cut them down,he did the compleat job for $1600 that was felling and removing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sycamore Trees.

Hi Charlie,it certainly is an expensive game having trees removed,thats what the gripe is with these people behind me.What is so stupid about it is,about four years ago they had it cut down but they left a stump in about 8ft high,branches started growing on this and as I say are now about 40ft high.It does not block their light in any way so whats annoying is ,us sitting in the dark and watching them sun bathing.
    By the way,I asked you this before on another thread,did you knock around with Pat Brady (no relation ) and Eddie Dean ?
    Regards.
    Jim.B,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a sixty foot gum tree in my back yard. I had reduced it to 30 foot some years ago just with a bow saw, but like all gum trees it grew back. Needed a big trim, so I got a long rope, another bow saw, a ladder and sent my brother uo to cut away (I am not stupid) he cut seven cubic meters out and we still have a couple more to go, will be good exercise for him in the spring.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You need toask the council if it is protected , if it is you have to get planning permission to prune it , but the law in the UK is that if any part of your neighbours tree overgrows your property , you can prube it back to your border , subject to there being no Tree preservation order as stated at the start , and you should return their property by dumping it back on them . A tree surgeon will cost you around £450 a day ( prices down here on South Coast ) or if you dont care what it looks like , and there is definatly no preservation order , you will probably get a Rouge Trader , as shown on Doiminic Littlewood's program to do it for much less
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 6 inch dia

Jim
    I am pretty sure on this as a number of years ago my mate (a builder) was building a house and needed to cut down some trees to get access to the site. We were told there was no preservation order on any of the trees but we could only cut down ones that had trunks less than 6 inch dia. Fortunatley we managed to find enough with less than that dia. that we could cut down and so got access.
    This tree planting craze can lead to problems. Some years back in the U.K. a law was passed that any new estate built had to have a certain amount of open land left on it and that shrubs and trees be planted.
    A mate of mine on an estate built around 20 years ago had this bloody great tree growing on the border between him and his neighbour that both of them hated, so they got together one night and cut it down and hacked up its roots. Only problem some other snidy neighbour reported them to the council and they both got find £4000, so beware, make sure any action you take has been checked out with the council etc. beforehand.
    My house's rear garden backs onto National Trust Land and a proviso for building of the estate was that trees had to be planted to screen the estate from people walking on Cleadon Hills. We now have most of our lovely rear garden covered in shade in summer due to the blighters they planted and there is nothing I can do about it. The Council (who have adopted the estate and assist the National Trust in maintaining the open land behind us, say they can only cut down some trees when they get so big that they start interfering with each other.
    rgds
    Capt. John Arton (ret'd)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sycamore Trees.

John,as i said a couple of posts back they cut it down 4 years ago but did'nt finish the job now it has come back with a vengeance.It is only a sycamore tree and is of no historic interest and only fit for a public park and not a small back garden.I've just looked out the back bedroom window and somebody is sun bathing in the offending garden whilst we are in the dark!!!!
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast