Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What?

Tony Morcom Guest

Default What?

We are all on this site because of the common bond of going to sea, most of us at 16 or even earlier. But imagine that you couldn't have gone to sea for whatever reason. What would you have liked to do instead and why?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My parents wanted me to be an electrician. They arranged an interview for me which i had to attend but which I failed.(Deliberately)
    They had no idea that I had applied to join the merchant Navy, but when they found out they didn't stop me. When left the Navy after 7 years I joined the Police Force and stayed there of the next 22 years 19 years of which I was in the CID ending with the rank of Detective Sergeant in the No1. Regional Crime Squad ( epitomised on the TV as the Sweeny, Lots of little adventures happened to me during that time) Happy days

John Albert Evans
    Last edited by John Albert Evans; 2nd May 2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

tony my sea time was cut short my dad was terminally ill and the £26.00 per month wasn't going to go far so i came ashore i told them in BF the same time as they ask if i wanted to be a midshipman it was a shock to both sides but i had many careers and always made good money i never swallowed the anchor the anchor swallowed me but i got a couple of more years to get to know my dad and i always looked after my mam but the sea has always been in my blood i did a lot of marine work and the rigging always came in handy? two days after coming home i was earning £180.00 per week and in 1969 that was good pay driving caterpillar tractors digging the new seaforth dock out so i have walked on the bottom of the dock 92ft deep. i have no complaints at all 1 daughter and 4 fine sons 9 grandkids and a great grandson thats me i was a plasterer for over 20 years and did a lot of national trust work. then the body packed up 5 years ago but i hope to keep winding all you lads up for a few more years yet life is great enjoy itJP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I honestly do not know what I would have done. I went ashore for a few years when I got married, did several jobs. Steel erecting, salesman, even with a company car and expence account I didnt enjoy shore life, so went back to sea again. until retirement.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Motor Cycle!

Well for me if i had another choice in life (as you know i have done all sorts haha!) but would have loved to become a Motor Cycle Racer professional,my late Dad used to in his days,and both my Brother and myself just loved it!
    But as life has it,we were both dealt with other things to get through!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure, did electrical training at school and had the idea of becoming one. Dad thought I should go in the Army, but I went to sea instead. But it has been good to me being in catering, spent my working life in hospitality, never a day out of work. My brother became the electrician.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

when i left school i wanted to be a lollipop man as that meant i started work at 65. haha. seriously one of my teachers had traveled and lived in india for a while, and she inspired me to travel the world. so as soon as i could, i joined the merchant navy. i only wish now that i had gone as deck crew and would have probably stayed in a lot longer.
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What

Never ever thought of anything else but the Merchant Navy since I first set foot upon a ship at five years old in WWII, I of course didn't realise at that time it was called the Merchant Navy, to me the ship was just a wonderous thing that had a gun on the back that looked big enough to win the war all by itself, everything looks big when your five years old, Went on a few ships as a kid when dad had the fortune to dock in Hull and it just made me more determined to go to sea, and even enhanced further on my first trip to Iceland and the Arctic regions on a deep water trawler at the age of thirteen...............what else is there?

Later in life I sometimes wished I'd been Gene Kelly as I loved dancing (and still do)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guess I was around ten or twelve years old, and lived in Durham City.
    Often on week ens or holidays I used to ride my bike to Newcastle-on -Tyne, about fourteen miles one way.
    As in Roger Whitaker's song Durham Town, I would site on the banks and watch the ships go by.
    Recall just after the end of the war going aboard the Cruiser 'Battle Axe' [amazing how I still remember the name] I was fascinated by the size of it, and all the guns.
    Right then I was determined to go to sea.
    Parents would not hear of it. Dad had a small electric contracting business, but for what ever reason didn't want me in it.
    As mentioned in previous posts.
    Mom sort of pushed me into a four year apprenticeship as baker and confectioner.
    During that time I talked to an ex RN who told me. If you want to see the world join the Merchant Navy.
    Just before my apprenticeship ended, I went to the UCL office in Ledenhall St, and after medical, was accepted.
    Finished my time September 12-55 and was aboard the Warwick Castle Sept 19-55.
    Loved ever minute of my years at sea.
    My original dream was to be a cadet. But in hindsight the baking trade has served my well over the years.
    So all's well that ends well.
    Den.
    Still mis the sea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had every intention of becoming a Veterinary, having been raised in the countryside. Instead I enquired about apprenticeship with Cunard, and joined my first ship three weeks later! No regrets.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast