Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Surface to Air missiles

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

UK no different to here in Oz when it comes to sport, sport very often takes priority over many other issues. A permanant home for the games makes sence so does the idea of not giving in to the terrorists. Remember the 72 games when a number of dissadents struck, where the games halted, no. Had they been then those who threw the bombs would have won. But truth to tell those weapons on the roof are most likely there to keep parliament on the straight and narrow.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if the kingdoms could travel to Athens thousands of years ago why not in this day and age. and the Greeks might not want to bum money of us in the poor UKJP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cris. i did not say anything about terrorists!. my moan is about all the waste of money on sport. i remember after the 2nd WW helping my dad to do the pools. that is the only thing about sport on the radio that i remember and i was 14 years old. Now sport headlines often come before the news, sometimes even before a soldier being killed is mentioned. it dominates telivision news and even some of the adverts. if it is so important, why has it not got its own channel like sky?. i agree with others on this thread, move it back to athens.
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dont think I will compete this year haha

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Big Problem is the Number of People coming into this country and only a few going home.
    The Border Protection Agency cannot cope with the security at the Airports so they will flood in and no records kept of who is who and where.
    I also think the Games have gone way over the top, Athletes today are treated like movie Stars of old.
    They are well rewarded and live good lives.
    My Uncle Ted, Edmund Aspinall. was in the Olympic Games in 1908, at the White City, [ can I say that ?] He was a Gymnast.
    He was told to appear and he had to walk from Bolton to London. No expenses, It took him more than a week, he performed, he was knackered, did not win, and then walked back another 210 miles.
    When he arrived home he was told he was sacked from his job as a Spinner in the Cotton Mill for taking time off work over his holiday entitlement. No Dole money, or benefits, in those days, work or starve, He eventually got a job as a PT Teacher in the Bolton Grammar School.
    When I was a lad he taught Gymnastics at the Bolton Lads Club, I was one of his pupils.
    Maybe they had real Olympians in those days , not the spoiled brats that we have today..
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 30th April 2012 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default surface to air missiles --to Chris Allman

Hello Chris, seems you disagree with my comments! The war---we had no choice but to fight for our salvation' It wasn't a democratic invitation by our country and Germany to have a go at each other. IT WAS IMPOSED ON US BY A DICTATOR!! It was a fight to the death for our country, there was no alternative.
    THe Olympic Games.--This was something our peaceful nation negotiated with other friendly nations, and we won. GREAT!!! But, in this financial turmoil , this country spending umpteen BILLIONS on sport, where for a start many athletes choose to cheat their way to stardom, and people of this country are suffering real hardship financially, and other countries are on the brink of economic disaster, who is going to win? Some mindless idiots state that it will be good for Britains' economy. Really? How much are you going to get in £ ? p after the games? I know I wont be better off, and nor will many other people. But one thing I do know, is that that money could have been better spent at home for all our benefits.
    COWARDICE?!!!! no way!! Al these games are going to do is ti literally invite every bastard terrorisy in the world to wreak their destruction on this country. There will be millions of citizens in the London area, and further afield who will hane not the slightest interest in the games, but whose lives and wellbeing will be subject ed to terrorist attacks simply because Lord flaming Coe is throwing the doors open to anyone who chooses to come here.
    Security??!! Who the hell wants armed fighter planes circling overhead, who wants surface to air missiles placed on or near their properties, who wants armed water police cruising up and down the river, and thousands of foot patrol police all over the place. I thought that way of living finished in 1945, so why are we tempting fate?
    If olympics are that important, then let them be held (as one of our members suggested) out in the middle of a desert where the the innocent people of the world can sit back and not have to worry about an onslaught of terrorists other than what we are faced with every day.The terrorists won't win because the olympics are cancelled, they will be fuming because they won't be able to create carnage in this country. This country is great, and I'm proud to be British, but I'm not prepared to be subjected to possible carnage in the name of sport
    Colin.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did hear that the Terrorists, and we know who they are, have said, they will not attack the Games as they are too well guarded and too much `Security`.
    They said they would attack the Transport systems instead, trains, buses, Subways, etc where Security is minimal during the time of the Games.
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To all,

There would appear to be TWO subjects here, one being the Olympics and the other being the Terrorist threat to the UK and its visitors.

Whether or not the Olympics should be held here or not is an entirely different subject to the protection that the UK offers to its residents and its visitors.

If you want to rant on about the cost of the Olympics and the officials in charge then do so. In a lot of respects I agree with you regarding the cost, however the matter is a ' fait accompli ' I am afraid and we will all have to accept it and in doing so face up to the consequences of hosting them.

The talk of abandoning them because of the fear of terrorist attacks, is a different matter to the cost of the games, it shows a considerable weakness and fear to the Terrorists, indicating that they have frightened us and we are now an easy touch. We must never give in to them, as I said previously they are the enemy WHO ARE IMPOSED UPON US BY A NUMBER OF FANATICS RATHER THAN A SINGLE DICTATOR and thus a lot more dangerous.

Notwithstanding the cost, or the other political matters which are to my mind a weak arguement and only used to muddy the waters, the failure to hold any type of major world event due to timidness is not worthy of the UK nor of its courageous citizens who have died in the past so that its citizens may enjoy freedom. It is a cowardly cop out.

We are faced with the Olympics and all that it brings and should deal with it with the dignity and quiet courage that the UK is known for throughout the world and not by whinging and wining about it.

Chris.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 30th April 2012 at 06:01 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As has been stated the olympics are to be held in the UK and nothing is going to stop it now. I am in favour of holding it every time in Athens but if it has to be held in another country why not have it in a ****** country. That would end any threat of terrorists would it not. As for sport on the TV well I reckon that we have been conned by the networks over the years. Why spend millions on producing decent intertainment when all you have to do is set up some camera's at a sporting event and then promote it and sit back to watch the money roll in with minimal outlay. Weekend sport was supposed to be for the family man to take his kids to but now it is so expensive that it has to be watched on the box.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sams

Les, unfortunately when our time comes around again then the way things are going then this will be a ****** country.

Cannot say if I was a resident of a block of flats which had SAMS placed on the roof, that I would be too happy, as surely it makes them a prime target, but as Brian says the the terrorists will probably go for the soft targets because they are not "Jihad Warriors" but "Craven Cowards"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast