Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Titanic yet again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Titanic yet again

Probably just me being a miserable ould git, but just how many documentaries and films are we to get on uk tv about the Titanic? Yes it was a tragety, but lately it seems every time I switch the box on, I get another version of what happened. The story is being milked for all its worth. I even heard it called the " Greatest maratime disaster of all time". (I don't think so) and any day now I expect to hear that the pope has decided to cannonise the ship, and it will now be known as "Saint Titanic." It was a long time ago. So as the saying goes "LETS GET OVER IT" and let the dead rest in peace, Cheers, Albi.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Was The RMS Titanic Sinking An Insurance Fraud?

RE: "The story is being milked for all its worth. I even heard it called the " Greatest maratime disaster of all time". LETS GET OVER IT" and let the dead rest in peace".

Today was for tribute and remembrance another 100 years will see more talk.

Thought provoking must be was The RMS Titanic Sinking An Insurance Fraud?

LINK: http://www.insuranceblog.co.uk/2012/...surance-fraud/ ?

So how did what had been a business decision to hoodwink the Ministry of Transport turn into an insurance fraud?

Well the matter of an Iceberg for one thing!

Gardiner goes on to explain all sorts of incredulous reasoning about how White Star planned to scuttle the ship and had pre-arranged a collision in mid-atlantic, however all this was unnecessary if the iceberg was just an accident.

DISCUSS ?

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 15th April 2012 at 11:55 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Titanic

Having watched tonights episode of the sinking did anyone pick up on the cockup when the officer of the watch gave the order hard a starboard the wheelman actually put the wheel to port and the officer went to the starbord side to watch the berg going past befpre the collision?
    Rgds Deinis

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I seem to recollect on one of the original black and white fims from hollywood the same question was asked. The reply if I can remember correctly was that they were referring to starboard and larboard in the old jargon. Anyhow these films are not produced by anyone resembling a seaman. I agree with Albert that the dead should be left to rest in peace. The Board of Enquiry should have been the finish of all the so called detective work now going in to try and change the course of history. Regards John Sabourn.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Missed the ending:

Lost our cable service near the end, will see all on catch up tomorrow, please all, do not give away the ending .................................

Asked a mate to record the end he just mailed me with:

An airplane took off from the airport. The captain is Jewish and the First Officer is Chinese.

It's the first time they flown together and it's obvious by the silence that they don't get along.

After thirty minutes, the Jewish Captain mutters, "I don't like Chinese."

The First Officer replies, "Oooooh, no rike Chinese? Why dat?"

"You people bombed Pearl Harbor. That's why I don't like Chinese."

"Nooooo, noooo...Chinese no bomb Pearl Hahbah. That Japanese, not Chinese."

"Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese...it doesn't matter, they're all alike."

Another thirty minutes of silence. Finally, the First Officer says, "No rike Jew."

"Why not? Why don't you like Jews?"

"Jews sink Titanic."

"The Jews didn't sink the Titanic. It was an iceberg."

"Iceberg, Goldberg, Greenberg, Rosenberg...no mattah...all same."

I think he was taking the piz or was drunk, all the bits eye sore never mentioned planes or pilots. If ever a plane was that big, I would not fly on it, possibly ships of that size and larger should be avoided ?

Although as ever respect and tribute, though can look at the lighter side.

Gonna have a night cap, shaken not stirred and by no way any ice.
    Not working in the morning, maybe a Night to Remember:

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had a BBC program here last night, recorded it to watch at a later date but have my doubts about it.
    Also I wonder just what is going on with the cruise ships?. On our news Sunday night at 1800 hours, or 0900 hours Uk time they showed the UK cruise ship and the US cruise ship at the point of the Titanic's sinking and wreaths were being thrown into the water. It was pitch dark so this must have taken place on the night of Saturday 14th???????????????????????????????
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having watched tonights episode of the sinking did anyone pick up on the cockup when the officer of the watch gave the order hard a starboard the wheelman actually put the wheel to port and the officer went to the starbord side to watch the berg going past befpre the collision?
    Rgds Deinis

. I have an idea that the steering gear in those days was opposite to what it is in our day. It was rather like a tiller, to turn to port a tiller was put to starboard and vice versa.
    So to turn the ship to port the helm order would be, hard a starboard.
    I didnt see the TV show but in previous films of the colliison the order is `hard a starboard` and the ship turns to port and the Ice Berg slides down the Starboard side.
    Some one will correct me if I am wrong.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Titanic was undoutably a masive maritime dissaster, but I have to agree with Albi. Here in Southampton it is the be all and end all to the Port/City and a stranger to the City would have to be forgiven if they left believing the Titanic was the only ship that ever sailed out of the Port. scant mention of the Pilgrim Fathers leaving the port. Scant mention of Cunard, Union Castle, Royal Mail, P&O Lines etc. It will be interesting to visit the New Musium that the City Fathers have heavily invested in, which acording to what I have seen on our local TV is yet again mainly Titanic. Yes best part of the crew were from Southampton,and left many families without a bread winner in the City.
    George
    in Southampton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Over Easter we were having dinner with several guests, on my dining room wall is a large picture of the TITANIC, signed by Milvinia Dean, one of the survivors.
    My little grandson, age six pointed out the picture to the guests and told them the story of the Titanic, and finished by saying ".......and the Titanic crashed into an Ice Cube". Everyone fell over laughing.
    Cheers
    Brian.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

No one ever mentions the ` Empress of Ireland`, CPR, which collided with a Norwegian ship, in the St. Laurence River two years after the Titanic, around twelve hundred people lost, a disaster of Titanic proportions. This was inside a river only a couple of hundred yards from shore.
    Of course there were many wartime disasters at sea, such as Cunards `Lancastria `where several thousand were lost.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Titanic yet again

Hi Brian

The Titanic was supposed to be one of the ships fitted with the new system, when the wheel was turned to port the ship turned to port and vice versa with starboard. Again I stand to be corrected but ships already in service were using the new system, so it may beggar belief that the grandest ship in the world at that time would not keep up with the new system. Perhaps the film advisors and historians got it wrong, as we have all watched documentaries where "Expert Nautical Historians" (who have never been to sea) have made us wince when they have described a certain situation. I remember watching the Antiques Roadshow when Arthur Negus was shown a sextant and was describing its function to an unsuspecting member of the public, I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast