Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays Education

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Todays Education

Hi All. I work in a Hotel, I was talking about the Falklands war to one of the young girls, when I asked her does she know where the Falklands Islands were, she said that she did not know, I then asked her where Argentina was, again she said she did not know. I then asked all different girls that worked at the Hotel the same question, and none did not know, so I asked an easy question which was "where is Iceland?" one said is it up or down??? Do they not teach histroy or geography these days? Take care.... Terry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G'day Terry. I am fond of watching quiz shows on TV. I note it is always the young ones who go out early on the easiest of questions; whereas the older contestants, say 45 and over hang in there to the end.
    The tragedy is of course they know all about pop culture and are a whiz on a computer so if they want to know something it's up in a search engine somewhere.Why carry it around in one's brain. Duh!
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Folk lands:

Folk lands: Where our rellies come from:

Iceland for frozen food:

Got a serious quest bro ?

Kiddies here know only that Maggie stole the milk and they will take something back.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Frigtening concept discussed here last year by some acedemics. In about 30 years time the younger generation will not be able to write, keyboards will be all they know, they will not store information in the brain as all the info they need is on Google or similar. Encylopedia Britanica is no longer in print for this very reason. What happens if the power goes off for a few days?????
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Problam with to days education is the lack of continuety. When I whent to school ( many years ago) I could if having trouble with a subject, get help from anyone in the family. but to-days kids can't, for the simple reason the formats have been changed so often that even parants can't help there offspring let alone other members of the family. I often had this argument with my childrens teachers, now reacently I hear that teachers are blaming parents for the problem. Why try and help your children if it isn't of benifit when they go to school??????. or to be told we don't teach them that way anymoore.
    George
    in Southampton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default This will make you weep.

In the paper this morning.

Thousands of Twitter users yesterday revealed they did not know the

Titanic tragedy was a real event -- and had assumed it was "just a movie"

The mind boggles.

Fred.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry,

I was quite suprized that the young lady didnt reply Iceland was next to Asda.

John Albert Evans

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't worry too much about what the youth today know and don't know. Worry more about the standard of what is passing out of our Nautical colleges as I fear for the future of the industry as a whole.
    The vast majority of those entering the colleges have passenger ships (bling) in mind . Iceland next door to Ada?? that's just the tip of the iceberg!!

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I told my mate Fred, that I met my future wife in Iceland,
    `What were you doing there` he says, `On Holiday or on a ship.?`
    `No`, I said, `I was in there buying a bag of frozen peas,`.

Cant beat the old ones.
    ;
    ;
    Seriously, the quality and standards of Teachers these days has fallen to a very low level.
    I doubt that many of the younger Teachers also know where and the history of the Falklands.
    I used to be married to a Teacher and even years ago the standards of her and all her staff were severely lacking in everyday general knowledge. I used to sit in the Staff Room of her school and was really appalled at their very low standards.
    All they wanted was a quiet life and so the kids ruled the classroom. They all seemed to be unable to develop any kind of interest in any subject for the kids, the kids were bored and then that is why they misbehaved and lost their chance of any education.
    Teachers have never left school, they leave sixth form, go to teacher training college for three years and then back into a classroom. They have no worldly wide experiences of life and so this reflects on to the children.
    When I was a lad during the WW2 they closed down our school we were sent to another school three mile walk away, we were part timers, mornings only one week and afternoons the next week 60 kids to a class, the original teachers sent into the Services and old retired teachers brought back , they didnt want to know. I very rarely if ever went to school, at the age of ten couldnt read or write.
    1945 I went to a secondary school, the teachers were ex Servicemen, newly returned from fighting Germans and Japanese. They were interesting and good teachers, one step out of line they would drop you with a blow of an iron fist. we paid attention. One was an ex Merchant Navy Master, he was very interesting with lots of stories of the convoys and the Battle of the Atlantic. I expressed a desire to go to sea. He explained the necessity of a good education to get on in life and he was a great help. I learned to read and write at last.

So boring Teachers develop boring kids
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 11th April 2012 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

من الجيد براين اليوم

Written in the local Bolton dialect
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast