Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Todays Education

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank for the response John.
    Schooling has changed a lot from our day. Like you, I left at 15 after 12 years of RC indoctrination. Nuns until 8 and the the Christian Brothers until 15. They did however instil certain basics in you that gave you a good grounding which precluded the use on calculators for simple multiplication. The 'times table' was like a mantra and we were drilled every morning with the same thoroughness as reciting the 'Our Father' and 'Hail Mary'.

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bill,Sounds like my education.Those nuns sure were tyrants.
    Big emphases on religion and discipline.
    To this day I could say the mass in Latin.
    Never really helped me in getting a job though.
    Den.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cedem cum, cedem go,
    fortebuses inaro
    demno buses, demartrux.
    watis inem ?,cows andux.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McGuckin View Post
    Hi Bill,Sounds like my education.
    They certainly were tough Dennis. The Christian Brothers over in Redcourt (prep school for St.Anselm's) were no better. They used a strap with ruthless efficiency.
    We all became proficient in Latin.

Brgds

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post
    Cedem cum, cedem go,

John,

The reply in the Spanish would be.

Yisder asmany orsis asses asder is orsis. Becos deris one ass peroz.

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

a load of old Bullocks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default strap/cane

All of us received the strap or cane for various infringements. It made you think twice before committing any crime of whatever magnitude. I personally have nothing against it, if it would cut down the violence and sheer outright law breaking of some in our community. I support the likes of Singapore in their justice system, and would advice the do gooders to mind their own business of trying to enforcie their failed policies on others. As regards juvenile criminality I would also support the old Borstal system if necessary, and not the holiday camps that now pose as a deterrent. During my time at school there were 2 of my classmates sent to Borstal, the last time I saw were good law abiding citizens. There were a further 2 went to jail in further years, so maybe they had an undetected earlier life of crime. There will always be criminals, but their numbers seemed to have increased over the years. The excuse of unemployment by our youngsters in some cases maybe relevant, if they had any sort of gumption they would save up their dole money and buy an air ticket and go and see the rest of the world instead of hanging around street corners for the rest of their probable short lives, as most seem to think these recreational drugs are the way to go, how they ever afford must vary according to their backgrounds. I still say during the recent mobs in the cities in uk, was very nearly anarchy, maybe the next one will be, after martial law is declared the uk will be no better than some of these middle eastern countries going through similar experiences. These are my views only, everyone thinks they have the answer but for heavens sake keep these wasted spaces of do-gooders and trick cyclists away with their so called humane answers. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I often think when I see them what a wasted life they live by using drugs to such an extent that they are like zombies. I know we used to use alcohol and such but we also where pretty fit because we worked the stuff out of our systems where these ones just laze around using up oxygen. Frighting part is these are the ones that will be looking after us when we get older. Mind you they can not possibly do worse than the current users in Whitehall can they.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Celebrity & Superficiality

There was a recent article in the 'Times' penned by the headmistress of a school in inner London where she states that the vast majority (wisely, no percentages) of pupils want nothing more than celebrity. Their fixation on what they see in the magazines is within there grasp and they can acquire all of it without schooling. I would say that the article was fairly representative of what we have in 'some' of our schools.

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    All of us received the strap or cane for various infringements.................
    JOHN i must agree with most of this post i went to a secondary school were some of the teachers were just sadistic bastards that would just love to inflict pain on anyone they did not like and if i thought the same was happening to one of my children i would inflict the same pain on them? they were pure and simple thugs that were teaching? in today's times children that go to private then university and lets say more intelligent than the average its them that do the more sophisticated crime look at the bankers mps and computer fraud gone are the days of the striped shirt and the mask so is good schooling just makes better criminal activity. the teachers of today have no control over kids they are a total different breed now?jp

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast