Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee shops

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Coffee shops

Visiting the Wirral over the Easter break and appalled at the cost of a Coffee in one of the well known chains that are springing up all over the place.
    I have just made myself the same for a few pence. Two tea spoons of Kenco, a sweetener, small amount of hot water to dissolve the mix and fill with milk.
    Thanks god we don't see them outside of the BIG CITY Shrewsbury.

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

bill after the shock of the price in thees places i would sooner take a flask?

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

not only is it a scandalous price, its undrinkable, these multi national cofee companies pay a fortune to rent premier positions, then pass that cost on to the customer. airports and railway stations they have the monopoly, us idiots pay for it. same applies to motorway sevice areas.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bit easier here during holiday such as Easter. All alnog the highways and freeways there are stops manned by volunteers from the State emergency service giving free cups of coffee. We are encouraged here to take a break every two hours.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default coffee shops

Hello Cap'n Bill, nice to meet you.
    Didn't know that things were that bad in Shrewsbury, are they the same where I used to live--Oteley Deer Park, Ellesmere? I used to treat myself to an ice cream from the kiosk by the mere. (1954)
    Regards,
    Colin.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

I think it started over here in US the speciality coffees AKA latte,s became sort of a snob value thing a must have on the way to work , they cant see what they spend every week on a cup of coffee , its about $3 a day 5 or 6 days a week adds up to a lot of cash per year ,bloody crazy if you ask me . I just stick to a beer or two with my cereal.EEEEK.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Colin,

Things here in Shropshire are generally OK and I hope we can keep these coffee chains out of towns like Bishops Castle, Churchstoke and Clun which are my local villages. Keep them in Shrewsbury (the big city).
    We have a local supermarket 'Harry Tuffins' and that serves us well. I was in Ellesmere a month or so back.

Brgds

Bill

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

I seem to remember one of the best ways of using 'conny onny' was make a type of latte out of it. Never could get used to it for tea.

Brgds

Bill

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Frothy Coffee:

Strange how fashions change, coffee houses were big historically, especially after Mothers Ruin was knocked back many years ago. Gin was a sin and all that. Lloyd's of London was kick started in a coffee house. Then back in the 60's if not before many an Italian family imported the steam machines from home and the frothy coffee was welcomed from the norm, Nescafe and cold milk.

Presently a pint of coffee would knock you back much more than a beer and a gallon more than petrol ?

The mod odd is the skinny latte etc.

Low fat milk, not in my early days, even then it was powdered and mixed up in an iron cow (churn).

But certainly was more value for money.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

getting of the train at Liverpool central you could smell the kardoma cafe the coffee was something else in the 60s.JP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill , think you'll have to get over to my neck of the woods for a decent coffee at a decent price.

There are even a few places around here where a small liqueur in a glass with whipped cream is served
    at no extra cost with the coffee.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast