Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coffee shops

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Capt Bill !!!

Can i ask you ???? What day is Shrewsbury open? I have a very good friend who runs a pub there and have visited a few times its like a ghost town,,,,,,, Nothing personal Skipper Regards Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is not just in the week either , its the weekends to Terry , I went there on a Saturday once and it was shut !
    Last edited by robpage; 11th April 2012 at 05:14 AM.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re Coffee

G'Day Bill, I'm using that salutation Bill to leave you in no doubt where I'm posting from and that I personally think (after Italy) that we here in Australia have the best Espresso in the world. I am sure it has a lot to do with the tremendous diversity in the culture here. I do visit the U. K quite regularly and am appalled at what they serve up as coffee. In fact I now leave it alone and stick to the water!
    Best Wishes James A Stuart (Tony)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in melbourne coffee outlets are just about on every corner. It is more of a social thing rather than just the coffee, you have to be seen.
    But they do get upset at times. I asked for a Zulu and a Sammy Davis jnr and they had no idea what I was talking about.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default DIY coffee

Hi All,
    My wife makes a really good Latte ( milky coffee) and trained me up to do the same. Similar to Capt. Bill's method.
    First get hold of one of those cheap little whisks for about a quid, they run off two AA batteries.
    Put a heaped teaspoon, or two, of your coffee into a mug, add sugar (or sweetener if you are slimming) and pour in hot water ( just off the boil ) to a quarter cup then whisk till you get a froth. Top up with milk to a full cup and microwave to your desired temp. It sounds like a lot of bull but it doesn't take long!
    Some one once told me not to make instant coffee with boiling water cause it makes it bitter, but I can't vouch for that.
    I once mentioned whilst waiting in a queue for a Latte coffee " why not simply call it milky coffee ?" The guy behind me said " They wouldn't be able to charge you so b-----y much !"
    Cheers
    Kevin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re Coffee

Hi Kev, Its BEANS Kev, coffee beans, you'll have to wash your mouth out with soap and water. No self respecting barista would even contemplate using ground coffee, instant or otherwise. And as for John in Melbourne, I've got a little story for him. There is a suburb here in Sydney which is more Italian than Venezia (notice the spelling) it is called Leichardt. Now in this Leichardt there is a famous Cafe called, 'Bar Italia'. The notice over the counter says in no uncertain terms, "Please do not ask for skim milk, soy milk or rice milk with your cafe, we only serve whole (cows milk) if any," It's probably the most successful cafe in Sydney, which means Australia! Melbourne is more for the Greek palate. If you pop over sometime I'll be pleased to shout you a cup or two.
    Best Wishes James A Stuart (Tony)
    Last edited by James A Stuart; 13th April 2012 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we had a scouse AB, Joe Shelly, on a Headboat and he used to make his coffee with about an inch of shaky milk in the mug then 2 spoons coffee, mix well and add hot water + sugar if required. Best milk coffee ever. It automatically frothed up.
    Bob Hollis

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The finest drink by far was in Yates Wine Lodge in Blackpool before it was burned down.
    Every morning at 11 am, hordes of Pensioners used to descend on the place and order Horlicks and Rum,
    The finest and most tastiest drink any man can find. It beats any kind of coffee you can come up with.
    A few of those and a nod in a bus shelter on the sea front does wonders.
    I have one every night before bed. works just as well with a whisky instead of Rum.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James A Stuart View Post
    ............If you pop over sometime I'll be pleased to shout you a cup or two.
    Might just take you up on that one mate. But we do have the best Greek fish and chip shops in the world.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Image

Having just enjoyed a cup of tea, probably my fourth this morning, I was reflecting on the 'Coffee thread' and the various posts. I am convinced there is an image statement in all this as young people need to be seen with ' a coffee to go', whatever that means.
    In my youth it was considered the height of bad manners to eat in the street and woman would never be seen smoking which is not the case today. Has this ban on smoking in public places driven it outside. I actually saw a middle aged lady in smoking in Bishops Castle high street yesterday, thankfully she was not a local.

Bill

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast