Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sitting Quietly

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just like Tony Wilding, I love to sit and watch the ships go past and look out to sea, remembering, great feeling, at peace with the world. problem is it never seems to last long, someone or people always seem to come along and spoil it with either a radio or some kind of disturbance.

Chris.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donald w gillies View Post
    my other passion is ....
    I remember the Highlander and Islander passion for a wee walk ashore for a wee dram , I sailed with a pumpman from Stornaway , who thought that wee walk should be at least five miles in each direction and the wee dram at least half a bottle , You were totally knackered getting there and totally wasted getting back
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

3. Likes N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Oomigooly bird:

Most birds that still fly seem to have have landing probs,

the present sqwuark as they land with frozen legs, sounds like oooh my goolies.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default sitting quietly

Post #13

Nothing worse Kieth than a bird with frozen legs

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc. I sit by my wood pile bbq going ect, and watch out over some 4 thousand achres.Bloody files spoil the moment as do the cattle who seem to know that their cousins are on the hotplate and come up bellowing at the fence line. I am only ten km's from town and have no street lighting but a great view from my front door back into town. Would swop this and more for a few more years in MN.See you on the 2nd Joe

Hi Joe!
    NB The meet will be on the Thursday the 1st March now!
    Please note this as we wouldnt want to miss you!
    Thanks
    Doc!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI VERNON Hope you are not getting all the floods that i have seen on the tv it will be good when you meet up with CAPT im looking forward to having a yarn with him lou

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default NB Joe Doyle !!!!!!!! Also reply to Lou thanks!

Hi Lou
    Yes will be good to catch up with the Capt,and i am sure as you are a long Serving Member of the Merchant Navy,you will have a lot more to chat about than me!
    As you know my service wasnt too long,so i am hoping that the Capt can tell me a lot more than i know!
    He is good at telling Yarns isnt he!
    Seems like a good sort!
    Cheers

PS Lou i really am enjoying your tales of the POW Days as well,it must have been bleeding hard and again as before i raise my hat to you and all others that did so much for us all!
    With Respect!
    Doc

No floods up here as such Lou,but just had a terrific Hail Storm,and plenty of Water around !
    So Today no quiet on the Deck!
    It was pounding so loud on the Roof! haha1
    Cheers have a good meet with Capt!
    Cheers

Hail Storm Blackheath 13th Feb 2012 002.avi - YouTube

Hail Storm Blackheath 13th Feb 2012 008.avi - YouTube

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Hi Joe
    Please see the following regarding the Meet!
    Thanks
    Sorry you didnt see this previously,i thought you had!
    Cheers
    Doc Vernon

Thursday the 1st March

Hi Doc (Vernon),

Your advice to Joe regarding the meet with Capt.Kong has me confused (but then I'm easily
    confused). It was my understanding that because Kong had a barbecue engagement on Friday, March 2nd, the meet had been re-scheduled for Thurs, March 1st. Please clarify for my peace of mind. As I said previously, either date suits me.

Incidentally, Joe (Doyle), I'm glad to hear that you're going to join us. As Doc has already said, the more the merrier, mate.

.................Roger.

Hi Roger
    Well mate i too am confused,and i thank you for reminding me of the actual Day! Whew! I would have been i hot Water with you and Joe!
    Yes you are quite correct about the Day! It was changed!

Re: Change of plan !??

Originally Posted by Roger DYER

Originally Posted by Doc Vernon
    Hi Roger
    Just got this now from the Capt!
    Its no worries with me what about you!
    Please let me know ASAP! Same time though!
    Cheers
    Vernon

Hi Vernon,
    I have a problem , with communication with these two women I have.
    I have told the Long Haired one that I was meeting you and Roger on Friday. Unfortunately I am now getting a hard time off them. HER Mate Barbara has arranged a Barbie at one of her friends home on Friday somewhere in Sydney as it is our last night there.
    They have just informed me. So is it possible to change the meet up to Thursday. Sorry to be a nuisance on this, but it is now survival time for me between these two Dreadnoughts. last time she brings a mate along. I am going dememted and SHE wonders why I want a drink.
    Thanks for your help in this.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Vernon,
    I have no problems with that arrangement whatsoever, Thurs. 1/3/12 it is. Don't you just love Brian's posts ? You can almost hear the distress in his voice, poor s-d.......Roger

So it will then be the Thursday the 1st March at the time and places stipulated!
    So sorry about that both to you and Joe!
    Joe i hope that will be OK with you.
    See you both on the Train then!
    Cheers
    Vernon

At this early stage if the Trains are on time etc,and all goes well i will be on the 9.09AM Train from Blackheath gets to Emu Plains (Stops there) at 10.29am,then gets to Penrith (where i think it would be better to join us there Roger) at 10.33am,as the Train gets pretty full at Parramatta,and it will be nice if we could sit together!
    Gets to Central at just after 11.30am which will give us time to get to Monties via the Light Rail from just outside Central.
    This is Iterim will let you know for sure later!
    Thanks

All above Info now confirmed by me that is,so hopefully the two of you will confirm as well!
    Thanks Lads! Looking forward to seeing you both and of course the Capt!
    Cheers
    Doc!

Travel times:

(all timings are approximate) Central to Lilyfield - approx 25 minutes
    Departing Central to Capitol Square (3 mins)
    Chinatown/Paddy's Markets (5 mins)
    Exhibition Centre (7 mins)
    Darling Harbour/Convention (9 mins)
    Pyrmont Bay (11 mins)
    Star City (12 mins)
    John St Square (13 mins)
    Fish Market (15 mins)
    Wentworth Park (17mins)
    Glebe (19mins)
    Jubilee Park (21 mins)
    Rozelle Bay (22mins)
    Lilyfield (25 mins)

Lightrail
    The Lightrail travels between Central Station in the CBD and Lilyfield in the Inner West, stopping at a number of Darling Harbour stations.
    Alight at Convention or Exhibition Station for Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre.
    Alight at Paddy's Market Station for Tumbalong Park, Powerhouse Museum and Chinese Garden.
    Alight at Pyrmont Bay Station for Australian National Maritime Museum, Harbourside and Pyrmont Bay Park.

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On a visit to OZ three Christmases back, My mate took me to Bellbird Hill?somewhere between Sydney and Canberra I believe. The sound of them is really great to listen to. Can't remember the exact location. Vernon might know where it is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Colin
    Yes its on the Bells Line of Road going from Windsor towards Lithgow,but turn off at the Kurrajong Pike,and then its not far from there!
    There is a lovely place one can stay there (called Loxley on Bellbird Hill) as well,and used on many occasions for Wedding Receptions!
    Beautifull scenery and a lovely spot for great days relaxation!
    Cheers

About 50km from where i live!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was so nice to read all your letters about sitting in nature and relaxing.
    I live on the banks of the river forth and often sat and contemplated my navel as well as the naval spectacles journeying up or down the river.
    My favourite time though was coming back from the pub along the beach late in the evening.
    There was an old tree sitting above the high tide mark where I would sit on my 'throne', replete with good food, good booze and happy memories of the evenings' entertainment and watch the silent shadowy ships passing.
    Not wishing I could travel with them but glad of the memories the sight of them brought back.
    Sadly, the tree was returned to the sea from whence it came by well meaning but ignorant people and boozy nights are a thing of the past.
    I still have my window and telescope though

13. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast