Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Irritating Expression

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Irritating Expression

This thread was conceived from the 'text thread' which I have not read because I do not do text.

However, how often do you hear the expression 'to be honest with you'. It seems to be in fairly common use. It seems to have came into vogue about five years ago and it would probably have its origins in sales talk.
    I always used the old fashioned 'to be quite frank' or similar.

Next time a person says 'to be honest with you' stop them in mid sentence and ask them ' have you therefore been telling me fibs for the last 5 minutes. The reaction is something else and leaves the perpetrator confused and wrong footed.

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default irritating

Agree with on that one Bill, another one used mainly by the young is "whatever"

Anyway who is this" Frank or Similar" (sounds Potugeuse), is he any relation to" Bill Stickers" ?
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 21st November 2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It must be p-ss taking day today, must make a note of the date for future reference, first the painted Conny Onny tins now the Portugeuse Frank, whatever next, nobody appears to be safe, by the way Ivan, I think its Bill Posters you want as he is always being prosecuted. Will have to start a campaign," Bill Posters is innocent"

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 21st November 2011 at 04:55 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Like

Interesting point. My personal pet peeve is the extreme over-use and misuse of the word 'like'. I don't know if it happens in other parts of the world, but in North America, it seems the youth can't say three words without interjecting 'like' into a sentence. It's now replaced the word 'said' in a conversation and it's driving me crazy!!! "Like, whatever..." Oh save my paining ears!
    Ron's Daughter
    R399144

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's interesting, as I thought the 'like' was peculiar to scousers only. I have to confess that I am originally from the Wirral which makes me an honorary scouser so I have to be careful.
    I think the 'like' has two uses. In men it follows most sentences. In women it is used as a precursor to a facial expression. Either one is irritating.

Brgds

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Me take the proverbial

Chris wouldn't dream of extracting the urine, "its all done in the best possible taste" no offence intended to anyone

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's a certain Dutch TV commentator who always appears when American politics are being discussed.

At least once in each sentence ( in Dutch ) he uses the phrase "you know " . Sounds awful silly but I
    guess he's only following the trend over here of using English phrases. Seems to be the hip thing here
    nowadays .

Others heard frequently on Dutch TV ; "having said that ", like it or lump it", there are lots more that
    don't spring to mind just now.

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default irritating expressions

these two drive me nuts, something is well good ! or to finish a sentance with absolutely, ! some parts of big cities the youngsters talk in an alien language, were taught here , were born here ,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What really upsets me is the phrase " lessons have been learned " . All the Public Services use it when they are in the wrong, been caught out and called to account.

I have seriously lost count of the number of times I have seen and heard it trotted out by the Social Services, every time a child is killed or seriously injured, by its so called parents or guardians. The worst thing is that it is obvious that the lessons are never learned or will ever be learned, because it keeps on happening again, time after time.

Chris.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just cant think of any stupid phrases at the moment, yer know worra mean like.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast