Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Irritating Expression

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My irritation is with politicians who say *let me be very clear* which is a sure sign that is the last thing he is going to be. Keith

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bill Davies View Post
    That's interesting, as I thought the 'like' was peculiar to scousers only. I have to confess that I am originally from the Wirral which makes me an honorary scouser so I have to be careful.
    I think the 'like' has two uses. In men it follows most sentences. In women it is used as a precursor to a facial expression. Either one is irritating.

Brgds

Bill
    Oh no, Bill, this is definitely not something peculiar to scousers only. Example (two youths talking):

#1 - I was talking to my friend and she's like, did you hear about that girl?
    #2 - Yeah, I know, I was like, no way!
    #1 - I know, I was like, that's brutal.
    #2 - Yeah, and she was like, ...

You get the picture. I can't stand it and it's rampant here. Started in California, I believe...
    Ron's Daughter
    R399144

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JacynWade View Post
    Oh no, Bill, this is definitely not something peculiar to scousers only. Example (two youths talking):

#1 - I was talking to my friend and she's like, did you hear about that girl?
    #2 - Yeah, I know, I was like, no way!
    #1 - I know, I was like, that's brutal.
    #2 - Yeah, and she was like, ...

You get the picture. I can't stand it and it's rampant here. Started in California, I believe...
    Thank you for that Jacyn. You learn something new everyday.

Brgds

Bill

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re expressions.

NEW FANGLED EXPRESSIONS I FAIL TO SEE THE REASON FOR, ,TO DO A GIG,! TO POST A BLOG !, SPINDOCTOR,! TO HOLD A SURGERY, IT SEEMS EVERYONE NOW HOLDS SURGERIES, USED TO BE ONLY DOCTORS, I ALLWAYS THOUGHT A GIG WAS A 2 WHEELED CART PULLED BY A HORSE, OR A OPEN ROWING BOAT USED IN THE NAVY, IE, A CAPTAINS GIG. THE WORD GAY USED TO MEAN HAPPY, JOYFUL.

Tony Morcom Guest

"At the end of the day" is another seemingly meaningless phrase and the thing that really gets on my t1ts is the people who say "um" every third or fourth word. If you don't know what you're going to say shut up until you do! However the youth of today "don't give a toss" (what does that mean?) and the expression that best sums them all up is "Am I bovvered?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

and that MP Hazel Blears, MP for Salford, she always says "..and the issue is.....or that is not the issue...
    " in almost every sentence.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm a transcriptionist and proofreader. 'At the end of the day' is something I type frequently, unfortunately. I also type 'you know' about a million times a week, which is just as annoying and useless as 'um'. Why people feel they have to continually say 'you know' when speaking is beyond me. One of my favourite authors is Charles Dickens. Now there is a man who knew how to use the English language properly. Perhaps one of the problems is people don't read good literature any more; of course, they're also becoming very lazy!
    Ron's Daughter
    R399144

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Try being Welsh Mate:

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    I just cant think of any stupid phrases at the moment, yer know worra mean like.
    We have when poorly: She has been under the doctor all day.

What about ? Is that jacket your coat ?

Everything is either by here or by there !

I will be there or do it now in a minute:

How come it cost so much in tolls to to cross into Wales across the bridge, but you can leave free.

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 22nd November 2011 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Irritating Expressions.

One thing used to really drive me crackers and I'm glad it only lasted about 6 months was that business of raising both your arms either side of your face and tweeking your index fingers,this was to indicate inverted comma's I believe.Every time you put the tele on somebody could be seen doing it.
    Latest politicians speak.The Elephant in the room,the've hit it into the long grass.
    By and Large,Think outside the box,drop dead gorgeous,he turned around and said.
    For the past number of years I'v noticed when young people want to borrow something from you they say,can I lend your so and so.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    Last edited by Jim Brady; 22nd November 2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At the end of the day, what really gets up my beak is someone repeating and repeating and repeating the phrase "At the end of the day"! Usually it is said in a hurry ie. "dendothaday".
    BG
    Fluttering Flag Avatars

http://flaglocker.co.uk/

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast