Article: My Stolen Chinese Father: Victims Of UK's Racist Past | The Exiles - Part 1/2

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

My Stolen Chinese Father: Victims Of UK's Racist Past | The Exiles - Part 1/2

9 Comments by Brian Probetts (Site Admin) Published on 4th April 2023 10:27 PM
    EPISODE 1:
    THE EXILES: MY STOLEN CHINESE FATHER

Hundreds of Chinese seamen who served with the Allies during the Second World War mysteriously vanished from their homes and families in Liverpool.
    The Exiles reveals the shocking truth.

This is an extended cut from the recent televised documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32UMEb8yCWY
    Last edited by Brian Probetts (Site Admin); 5th April 2023 at 01:07 PM.
    Brian Probetts (site admin)
    R760142

2. Total Comments 9

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Stolen Chinese Father: Victims Of UK's Racist Past | The Exiles - Part 1/2

Missed this on TV really pleased to have watched it Being Liverpool born 1943 it resonates. Definitely an episode in Liverpool maritime history which needed to be told.

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Stolen Chinese Father: Victims Of UK's Racist Past | The Exiles - Part 1/2

Geoff think it was 1972 ,anyhow it was the year that they had a big fire at some holiday complex on the Isle of Man as was the same week I was doing a course at the MN. hotel in Liverpool . It was a medical course covering VD, Childbirth , and Drug taken . Won’t go into what it entailed but on the personal drug taking the carriage of opium was brought up and it was surprising the info.passed on , that in the past a blind eye was turned on the elderly Chinese crew members who were caught still using it , as had been brought up from an early age smoking the old pipe , and as long as any they had was for personal use it was not frowned on like it is today. How times change. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 1st March 2024 at 11:10 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Times past, even in our lifetime, have strange, now unacceptable activities - but hey we had fun!

7. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

August Thursday 2nd 1973 Summerland centre fire started 50 people died and over 80 injured. I was on the Island when it happened. We were at a pre season rugby training camp organised by Douglas Rugby club.
    Some dates are etched into your mind , a group of us were having a meal in a pub over looking Summerlands and watched the tragedy unfold.

Sorry off topic.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I watched that on TV over here, it would make one weep what happened to those Chinese semen who helped to save Britain, but hey the people who sent them back probably didn't do anything during the war, there were plenty of them,
    .Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

11. Thanks Kenneth Kenny thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is another injustice on how Chinese are treated in the UK,
    On the evening of 5 February 2004, at least 21 Chinese undocumented migrants were drowned by an incoming tide at Morecambe Bay in North West England, while harvesting cockles off the Lancashire coast. Fifteen other labourers from the same group managed to return safely to shore.
    Video and audio footage has one of these poor souls pleading for help using a mobile phone, he was up to his neck in freezing cold temperatures and then the phone went silent. Life is cheap!!!!!

13. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had an aunty drown in Penclawedd near where I Lived, always dangerous where ever they pick cockles, the tide come in fast in little ditches and before you know it you have deep water between you and the shore. I my aunts case they where on a donkey and cart, should have shoved the sacks off to lighten the donkeys load, but greed was to strong.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Oz we had over 90 drownings this summer.
    On controlled beaches you are supposed to swim between the flags for safety.
    But there are many other beaches and a lot of new immigrants are not aware of the dangers, get caught in a rip and that is it, good night nurse.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just off the Wirral coast ,Meols, Hoylake & West Kirby you have Hilbre Island. You need to know what stae the tide is if you are going to venture out to the Island. Safest time is on an Ebb tide. Get it wrong and you are in big trouble as you may think because there is no water you can meander back. When the tide comes in it does not hang about.