Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Vindi onwards....

6 Comments by Fred Saunders Published on 31st December 2022 10:44 AM
    I guess us “old Vindi boys “ are all getting to the
    end of the voyage, so at 90 years of age I can’t take anything for granted and I will not.
    I hope this short story is of interest.

I left the “Vindicatrix “ in September 1949, with a travel warrant, to travel to the Pool at
    Bristol. There I was informed I should be on the Pool at Newport ( Mon, Wales ). So armed
    with another travel warrant I left Bristol for Newport.
    I was given a berth on a small bulk ship of around 2000 tons called the s/s J. Duncan.
    I asked at the dock gates where the ship was berthed and was told it is that four poster down
    there, ( some way down the docks )
    Just as I was about to trudge down the docks, a row of railway wagons moved away and lo and behold,
    there was the J.Duncan, loaded down with good Welsh coal, almost down to wharf level.
    I don’t know what I was expecting, but whatever it was I don’t think I got it. On board us catering lads
    were down aft over the screw on the starboard side with the firemen opposite.To say it was a cabin
    was really stretching the imagination – bare steel bulkheads for us all. Amidships it was the Skipper
    Mates and Engineers and Cook/Steward and Radio Operator.
    The Skipper was a Mr Martin and the bond locker was his settee which he slept on whilst in Port.
    The R/O was not one forgotten in a hurry, he used to lock himself in his cabin/radio shack when
    sending or receiving messages and going ashore always wore a WHITE Stetson! A white Stetson
    with a cargo of coal being discharged?
    The 2nd Mate was a veteran of the St.Nazaire raid and had an OBE and, when writing to him, his
    wife always addressed the envelope with his full title.
    The sailors were housed in the Fo’castle.
    From memory I think the J.Duncan was built in 1914 and was still around in December 1949 when
    we paid off in Port Talbot or Swansea Wales.
    We sailed from Newport to London and the coal was discharged into lighters, then from there to Gateshead
    coal London, then we picked up cement for Plymouth, then back to South Wales for coal for France, carrying pit props back
    we then hit a gale I think we did two knots forward and one back.
    One fond memory I have, is sailing out of Swansea in the late afternoon of November 5th, seeing the bonfires lit up on the
    Welsh hills as we sailed down the Channel.Many years later, whilst working on maintenance in a big steel factory doing
    night work, a worker with a Welsh accent asked me if I had ever been on the Newport ( Wales ) Pool? Yes I replied way
    back in 1949. He replied “ I spoke to you back then and you joined the J.Duncan”
    A small World.

Fred J Saunders discharge book # R 518224. civilian i/d card # XPEQ .16 . 3

2. Total Comments 6

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Vindi onwards....

Hi Fred
    Thank you for the nice Short Story,more of this sort of thing would be nice on site!
    Always good to read about others past experiences, no matter if at the same Colledge etc, as each of us has their own views and thoughts/

Happy New Year
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Fred.
    As you were walking from th train to the Vindi, I was walking to the train for home, I was there from April to the 24th of June 49. Went to Cardiff to join the Trevose, I did four trips two years on her. My discharge book No R510868.
    Cheers Des
    Ps A small world
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Peter Copley, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Des.
    It was nice of you to contact me, well I went from the Vindi to a ship called the MV Wendover she was a resenably new ship but she was what we all called a tramper, and I saw just about the whole world on board her and I would say the best ship that I sailed on,well I am now 80years old and I don't think I will be doing anymore sailing, but if you ever visit New Zealand please look me up as there will be a place to stay.
    RegardsFred Lamb.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Fred, I visited the 'Wendover' in Wellington in January 1956, she was well ahead of her time for crew accommodation at that time, I was on a ship called 'Salinas'. I remember the dates well as we were the first ship to visit Pitcairn Island on 1st January 1956, pipping the 'Gothic' to the honours. We were on charter to Shaw Saville at the time and they were not best pleased as we made all the NZ papers and not the 'Gothic' Found out later that our Master (Capt Litherland) had been instructed to let the Gothic arrive first, but he had decided otherwise, saying his first duty was to his owners and it did not warrant delaying the ship. Little did he know what lay ahead of him in NZ with all the shinnanakins of the WWF, but that's a story already told on here many many years ago.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Fred, Thanks for your story, you are an inspiration to young blokes like me I left the Vindi in January 1963 and spent the best years of my life sailing the world on boats from the Queen Mary at 81 thousand ton to a RFA tanker at 2 thousand ton. I have since served on pilot boats in Wellington NZ, Shark boats in Fremantle, delivered yachts with my son to ports around the world, and since retiring I served for 11 years in sea rescue. I now sail my 24 ft sloop as often as possible but only this morning I was thinking at 78 I might not be sailing much longer, but after seeing you are still on watch at 90 it gives me encouragement to sail on. Time and tide.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Fred,
    A great article mate.
    Unlike you, I went to Gravesend but my younger brother Ralph went to Vindi.
    My first ship out of Liverpool where I lived was the "Apapa" one of Elder Dempsters' cargo passengers down to the west coast of Africa.
    I was a deck boy on there and was well looked after by the rest of the crew especially the bosun, chippy, and deckhands.
    Really great memories and to think we actually sailed from the Pier Head in Liverpool just seemed to make it even better.
    I did 3 trips and decided to spread my wings some good trips and others not so clever.
    Started in 1957 and finished up in 1963.

D.Book 676193

10. Thanks David John thanked for this post