Jul 2019
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Lone Survivor

32 Comments by Craig Sanders Published on 21st October 2019 12:54 PM
    Harry Morgan Sanders was born on July 10, 1923 in South Sheilds and joined the British Merchant Navy at age 17. He served on several convoys during the War as a Radio Officer. Apparently in 1942, his ship was torpedoed by a German submarine and sunk to the bottom of the mid Atlantic ocean. Harry, with a dislocated shoulder, swam to a Life Raft with several of his Mates, drifting a sea for weeks. Sadly, Harry watched all his Mates die, mostly at night, many voluntarily jumping into the dark seas, with no hope of survival. But Harry did (lone survivor), his raft washed up on the shores of Sierra Leone of South Africa. He was found unconscious, near dead by a fisherman and transported to a local Hospital to recover from his injuries and 3rd degree burns to his face and hands. Surely this event is documented and can be vetted. Did anyone know or serve with Harry? I look forward to hearing from your Membership. Craig Harry Sanders

2. Total Comments 32

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lone Survivor

As yet Craig i cannot see that Ship on this listing,but may find it elsewhere
    Cheers

https://uboat.net/allies/merchants/listing.php?char=D
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Harry M. Sanders & The Legion of Honour

https://heathershistoricals.weebly.c...chives/03-2018

Added:

https://www.crestwood.on.ca/ohp/sanders-harry/

There is a mention though in a different circumstance of a Spanish passenger liner [motor ship Domine]

We were interned on the island about 3 or 4 weeks. I left on a Spanish passenger liner [motor ship Domine] for Gibraltar [Cadiz] and finally aboard the Lettia, a troop carrier serving as hospital ship, for home.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 11th March 2020 at 09:36 PM.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    We were interned on the island about 3 or 4 weeks. I left on a Spanish passenger liner [motor ship Domine] for Gibraltar [Cadiz] and finally aboard the Lettia, a troop carrier serving as hospital ship, for home.

Cannot be the Spanish vessel as it survived the war.

Adding a link to Ships Nostalgia post for info only: https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galle...?photo=1126314

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would like to thank Doc and his ‘mates’ for responding to my post regarding my fathers heroic experiences while serving with the BMN during WW2. Regrettably, Harry lied to the Canadian French Embassy about delivering US soldiers to Omaha Beach on D-day. His ship, (Empire MacDermott) was in the mid Atlantic patrolling the seas. And his ship SS Domine, was not torpedoed and lost a sea, he being the ‘Lone Survivor’. Complete garbage, stories he concocted for game and self importance. My father was a loner, had no friends or family. He had a life of constant failure, so when he turned 90, he started searching for greatness and desperately wanted to make something of his life that everybody would remember. And he succeeded! As some of u may know, he was awarded the Legion of Honour from the French Consul in front of 1000’s of strangers in his then home town of Tillsonburg Most underserving. He must have been so proud being the centre of attention. His story was published in every major paper in Toronto, he was a National Hero. He played everyone except me, like a 5th grader. He made a mockery of the Merchant Navy and everyone who served. Nobody knew my father like I did, he was a Sociopath, Liar and Cheater. Interesting to share this fact, there was no Memorial service for Harry when he died, nobody would go.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How very sad.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

11. Likes Keith Tindell, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I must share Chris Allmans sentiments. Craig you are a very honest , or hateful person to your father. I would prefer the honest one though. Real heroes are the ones who die, and there are only the survivors who can plead their case for such who can’t recount how where and why they died. Those who stand up and bask in others esteem are mainly those who did the least when the chips were down. Most decent people do not seek fame and admiration , it is usually the last thing they want and don’t want fingers pointing at them all the time. There are probably many more prancing around with ribbons on their chest who at the least do not deserve them. I could tell stories about such but would not have the courage or initiative to do so. If they want attention let them have it. I admire your courage for saying what you believe to be the truth. The truth always has a way to appear and bring disgrace to those who have little regard for it, putting out lies to achieve their own sad delusions about themselves. Regards JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd April 2020 at 04:51 AM.

13. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It has been said,
    A coward dies a hundred deaths, a hero but just one.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The difference between a live coward or a dead hero is sometimes a matter of choice. But not too often. Nobody chooses to die unless they are suicidal in the first place. But to live knowing you were a coward at heart must make one a very peculiar personage. Whilst I regard Craig as a very honest and brave man for being so outspoken , I feel sorry for his most lacking father in his very lonely and frightened life that he must have lived. One can always fool other people, but can never fool yourself. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd April 2020 at 06:52 AM.

17. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A very sad story Craig, but at that age, who knows what we are like. My reason for this reply is that similar to your father, I was 17 going to sea in Oct 1942 and had many narrow escapes then and later until serving National Service from 1946.

Noticed from 'Heather,s' blog a number of incorrect information. As Radio Officer from my time some things just don't add up in the narrative. Too much for me to list them here, but I'm willing to share all I know with you as Oakville you know is fairly close by in Oshawa. Picture of his medals are wrongly placed, but also saw Africa Star and Italian Star which tells he was in the area at that time. My own has those and others conflict places.
    This is too much for me to type as now at 95 and one blind eye, is somewhat difficult. Living alone doesn't help, be patient please.

However, your father did survive as I did those hard times for us seafarers, let it be, not a hero but a thankful survivor, you Dad. It matters. believe me.

Will give you email/ phone No. if you would like.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reading the posts there are two names of ships that I know well about. The Empire MacDermott was a MAC ship, similar to my ship the Empire McKendrick. Both MAC ships sailed in many convoys during that time to and from Halifax. I have all the convoy numbers for all my ships from '42 to '45, they are listed in the ships movement cards, Harry should have the same noted in his Disch Card

The second seems to be the hospital ship Letitia sank after grounding outside Halifax N.S. in 1917, a WW1 casualty.

Harry might well of known about that ship often being in Halifax as I did from seafarers we met st that time. Plus he must have been well acquainted with Canada before finally living in this country as did I in 1956.

My feelings are that he is or was correct in many events but perhaps mixed some up, as many an old seafarer would normally exaggerate the story, didn't we all? My memories are many and with the records (Thanks for help from this Site), my Disch. Book, pics I have and stuff, life is still full for me.

20. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast