Apr 2013
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

My Days in the Merchant Navy

22 Comments by Dave Francis Published on 17th January 2019 02:43 PM
    My days in the British merchant Navy are long gone, but I often dream of my time in the Royal Navy on a auxiliary vessel and after a bad accident, I took employment on the great passenger and then Cruise Ships? After living in the Northern Territories of Queensland, Australia I eventually ended up marry a United States citizen, as she didn't want to live in England?

At 75 years old, I still dream about the sea, the fresh, clean air and the tranquil ocean most of the time. Many vessels I sailed on from Banana boats, to the older passenger ships as the 'Orsova' of the P & O shipping Lines. Even in my time went on luxury cruises around the world. Once worked on a luxury yacht to the Galapagos Islands and always as a Steward. I left the docks in Circular key in Sydney on a German Lloyd Ship. Stood of the coast of Panama, waiting for cargo over one month on a German rust bucket. Even had the opportunity to work on a Holland American Line ship & of course the great Queen Elizabeth II

I miss many of my friends who were in Hotel Services on Princess Cruises, such as the Pacific & the Island; where I met my future wife. Somebody will remember me from the marriage at the Ventura Club. in San Fernando Valley. I had placed a notice on the bulletin board, offering anybody who would like to join the the party and the address? Two buses turned up for the reception and some for the actual party. With my wife's family & friends and a good portion of the crew, plus the Captain, his wife, Chief radio officer, staff Captain and regular officers, purser, purserettes and a whole host of crew members was a count of 150 ships crew. It certainly was a night to remember & my Mother in Law, who is a very well known realtor, broker & property owner paid for it all.

I had always been a utility Steward, a waiter, a cabin steward, a stateroom steward, bar manager & even an accommodation supervisor on many different ships. On the old Royal Mail Carriers I carried heavy kegs of beer to bars; painted Christmas art of Father Xmas & Reindeer's on the glass around the areas on board. Cleaned out dirty fridges on German ships for Customs & even carried dead bodies to empty fridges on storage flaps. On one ship I was crew entertainment officer and counted the money from the slot machines and spent it on tours for crew members and also arrange General Knowledge quizzes for members of the crew of which they won money prizes or a Booby prize.

So much more of my travels, but most of all I miss the Camaraderie of the boys and girls. For a while, I was able to keep in contact with many of them, but I guess like me their up in age and many are not around anymore? Being retired is not fun, I still help out my nephew when he works on family properties, but my Mother in Law (90) & my spouse (70) forbid me to climb ladders. Cannot stand sitting at home all day, but right now I am visiting my ancestors on the Ancestry Website? I have been working on it, for over 2 years and made a bunch of mistakes. One family member was the High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire? in fact I am not a true Englishman, but a Norman?

The dreams of the sea and all the places I have been, which I would think makes me a World traveler. Even after leaving the Merchant Navy Me and my wife honeymooned in Hawaii and went to England to see my family? Mum and StepDad are gone now; my real Dad died in World War 2.

Even in the remaining years of my life, I still dream of leaving Southampton and the rumble of the engines. The early years of 10 stewards in in bunks on the 'Reina Del Mar' of locating a quiet space under the bridge, to read a book and sunbath. Sitting in our cabins drinking tea or paying the Night Steward to make us Steak & Chips?

But most of all I miss all my friends.

Dave Francis.

2. Total Comments 22

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Days in the Merchant Navy

Vernon, if you attempted to explain that to the younger generation of today they would think you were having a lend of them.
    Anything over about 35 hours a week and they will tell you the boss is a slave driver.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Likes Doc Vernon, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Bodiam View Post
    So many on this site know exactly what you mean. All our memories of the wonderful people we have sailed with and experiences that we've shared.
    We saw a wonderful and exciting world at mostly young ages during the "Golden era" of the Merchant Navy.
    Thanks for a very well written article. T.B. R811047
    Remembering those days is brilliant. Some excellent, some not so. I am not far behind you. R811083

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=happy daze john in oz;325959]Dave, like a number on site I did my time as a winger.
    Yes tables of ten and two sittings, bloody hard work when we look back. But would we have it any other way, not on your life mate.

Dave what a great read all that have been lucky enough to sail the world will never forget the hard work fun and comradery. i too often think of people, times, and places i sailed into so good some bad and some could not wait to return. your memories of such a great industry will never be forgotten unless you actually sailed the seas you can not know how good it was.

good luck in the future Dave.

steve

7. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Re: My Days in the Merchant Navy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Francis View Post
    My days in the British merchant Navy are long gone, but I often dream of my time in the Royal Navy on a auxiliary vessel and after a bad accident, I took employment on the great passenger and then Cruise Ships?

But most of all I miss all my friends.

Dave Francis.
    Lovely story and dreaming away on the waves of the OCEANS
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th January 2019 at 04:08 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great post (s) Dave - look forward to the next episodes.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 10th August 2020 at 10:13 PM.

10. Likes cappy, Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon, there are some memories that we cannot post.
    If we do there is every chance we may end up in the divorce courts, the criminal courts and a number of other courts.
    Then there is the case of alimony payments, child allowance and numerous others.
    Apart from that I am sure there are plenty of other tales to tell.

And of course in the case of Cappy there is the question of Mary and that leg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 24th January 2019 at 05:16 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref 22 welcome to the site Norm, yes, we all love new input to the site, so fire away, all the best kt
    R689823

14. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Keith.

I am looking forward to being part of this site ... I do intend to respond to Dave Francis post but at this moment I am a bit pushed for time , but I will get back to it soon.

R771778

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi good memories.i have just retired 62 got my pension merchant navy one.lump sum and £ -- a month so happy.I still think of my days at sea just seems so long ago but glad we had the opportunity there is no way kids today can leave school and do what we did we had time to go ashore etc now you have a hour or so. Thanks and good luck

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #29... congratulations Paul for crossing the finishing line intact , as so many never made it. Enjoy your retirement, and leave the ships in the water for others to worry about for a change. Cheers JS
    Strange though, every time I see one close up it gets me thinking, "wonder what its like on there", mind you that doesn't include car carriers never had any wish to work on them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast