1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Memories of MV Tyrone from David Field

6 Comments by Brian Probetts (Site Admin) Published on 25th December 2018 09:51 AM
    Memories of M.V. Tyrone

N.Z. Ports to Liverpool

- Signed on 23 April, 1959 in Auckland as 7th Engineer, after which Captain Herbert Jones shouted me a beer at the Britomart Hotel.
    - Left Bluff, violent gale in Southern Ocean before I could get my sea legs. Our Steward, “Ginger” supplied me with oranges for sustenance. No one allowed on deck so aft crew had to negotiate shaft tunnel for meals amidships, probably with Mike Hall and colleagues.
    - Great weather in Indian Ocean.
    - Went on deck after breakfast one morning and greeted by huge cliffs of Cape Guardafui.
    - Captain Jones closely followed Somali coast before crossing to Aden.
    - 2nd Engineer Richard Willis announced that as soon as main engine was shut down, crank-case doors were to come off and we to do a hammer test of all bottom end and main bearing bolts and nuts.
    - Sight in Red Sea was 2nd Cook kneading bread dough outside Galley with sweat pouring into the mix.- I came out in a heat rash - crew mates reckoned that I had “Suez Pox”.
    - One morning while sunning on the Boat Deck the 2nd Mate called out that we were passing Jiddah.
    - Glorious weather while anchored in Suez Roads for 24 hours while awaiting Canal transit. Mail received via Agents “English Coaling Co”.
    - Past Ismaillya I swapped cigarettes for fresh watermelon from trader, alongside.
    - Arrived Port Said midnight and Egyptian cargo workers boarded to unload wool bales on deck.
    - Departed midday for Genoa.
    - Passed through Strait of Messina, narrow, with power cables spanning between Mainland and Sicily.
    - Arrived Genoa early morning guided by La Lanterna, the Ports historic light-house. During six day stay visited outer suburbs by tram and town of Savona by train. Italian State Railways used unusual three phase system as standard, later superseded by 3000 volt DC system.
    - Most crew would have visited the infamous “Barbary Coast” in Genoa’s City Centre.
    - Passed through Straight of Gibraltar accompanied by a Royal Navy submarine to Starboard.
    - Fine weather in Bay of Biscay but Bridge watch at night needed sharp look-out for fishing boats.
    - Nearly at U.K. with ship-mates excited at arrival home in day or two.
    - Rendezvous with Liverpool Pilot Ship on station off Point Lynas, Island of Anglesey.
    - Arrival in Mersey and guided into Liverpool’s Alexandria Dock, through River lock.
    - Our voyage was over, short for me but long at ten and a half months for most of the crew.

David Field ( passport number C.94277.)
    Brian Probetts (site admin)
    R760142

2. Total Comments 6

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Memories of MV Tyrone from David Field

Great story. Was Filshie the C/E this trip.

4. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I apologise for the delay in answering your question. Gilbert Filsche was C/E for the voyage London to NZ and then to New York where he left on 25/02/1959. My C/E was John Bathgate who joined at Boston on10/02/1959. Tyrone returned to NZ and loaded for Genoa and Liverpool, my section of the voyage. Kind Regards David Field

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Gladman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello aussie,
    Re "Filshie" (Gilbert Filsche) do you know anything of an 8mm cine film or later DVD conversion which he shot on the 1958 London to NZ voyage? My friend, Sid Le Quesne who was his 2/E and paid off in Wellington (new 2/E was Richard Willis) also had an 8mm camera, with the film recently converted to DVD, but awaiting a commentary by another friend. Sid and I have often wondered if Gilbert's version of the trip still exists. Cheers, David Field.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great article brought back memories of my first trip in 1965, London to Auckland and eventually back to Liverpool.
    Many thanks
    Jim

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was mentioned in the first part as negotiating the shaft tunnel.
    this was not correct as my cabin was amidships port side under the main deck.

Mike
    Gallery Manager and Friend of the Website

R 693816

Please visit the Gallery to see the latest photos

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi David, I was an apprentice engineer with Trinders and after completing the first two years ashore sailed on the 'Donegal' with Gilbert Filshie chief Engineer on a number of voyages. On a few occasions he would ask me to wear clean white boiler suit which meant that he intended filming in the engine room and I was to be involved.
    He later would have showings in his cabin for any of the crew interested.
    He set these films to music and they were a welcome entertainment. He was an inventor and later in life invented some surgical equipment.
    You also mentioned Richard Willis second engineer. I had him as Chief Engineer when I did my first trip as a junior engineer on the 'Limerick'.
    All good memories.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post