Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

A Helping Hand

13 Comments by Doc Vernon Published on 22nd August 2018 03:51 AM
    Hi again Vernon,

Today we awoke to some truly great news in our ongoing campaign to save sheepfrom the horror of live export. EmanuelExports has had their licence permanently cancelled by the regulator.One of the world's largest exporters of animals will no longer be able to operate.

This company (and its directors) has been responsible for shipping the majorityof the 200 million sheep that have been sent to the Middle East over the pastforty years. Over 1.5million defenceless animals have died on their vessels – andthrough the courage and compassion of a crewman Fazal Ullah – the world nowknows the egregious suffering that this company was willing to accept fordecades.

My own journey with this company started shortly after joining CEO, Glenys Oogjesat Animals Australia in 2003. It is Emanuel Exports that was responsible forthe Cormo Express disaster where over 5,000 sheep perished, and it was theirshipment that I met in Kuwait City in November that year, on which over 1,000sheep had died. While in Kuwait, I witnessed firsthand the brutal treatmentthat this company was prepared to expose millions of sheep to, for decades.

The directors of Emanuel Exports have been responsible for some of the worstmass death events in the trade and the associated suffering that we nowunderstand so fully. In 2006 we had them found guilty of cruelty in the WAMagistrates Court. We lodged legal complaint after legal complaint against themand generated media exposé after media exposé. And this year, we took this export giant to the FederalCourt on behalf of animals.

Animals Australia has battled this company for the past 15 years, and on eachoccasion that we revealed the suffering they were responsible for, we took themever closer to the brink.

So today, Emanuel's day ofreckoning, has been a long time coming. It has been a David and Goliath battlethroughout many years — and 'David' today has won. They may have had the'power' and millions of dollars at their disposal. But we have been 'armed' bythe glorious kind hearts of our generous supporters who have been prepared toback every courageous and compassionate action we have taken over those years.
    Attachment 27295
    As you well know, this is a journey that asks so much of us. It's one that is only for the strong-hearted because the ark of justice is truly long. But I have never lost faith that justice would prevail. That's because every day I am surrounded by the strong-hearted. People like you who share our vision and whose faith in us never wavers — and a team of resilient, committed advocates who I am so proud to call my colleagues.

The fight to end live export continues, and today we are one big step closer.

But for now, here's to the strong-hearted. Here's to you in heartfelt gratitude for sharing our vision for a kinder world.

For the animals,

Lyn
    Attachment 27296

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Total Comments 13

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A Helping Hand

I worked on a Live Stock Carrier in about 77 the Al Khaleej (Probable the worst ship I was ever on.) It belonged to Kuwait Livestock Transport and Trading and used to carry if memory serves me correctly about 28,000 sheep at a time. We would normally load in either Oz. or N.Z. when loading in N.Z. the transportation of sheep seemed to be more controlled by law than in Oz. This included the compulsory carrying of vets to monitor the health of the sheep on loading, transportation and discharge. I think the main reason for carrying live sheep as opposed to frozen meat was both for financial and religious reasons. One of the holiest festivals in the Islamic religion is Eid al-Adha The festival remembers when Ibrahim's (Abraham's) Sacrifice when Allah (God) appeared to him in a dream and asked him to sacrifice his son Isma'il (Samuel) as an act of obedience to Allah. As Ibrahim was about to kill his son Allah stopped him and gave him a live lamb to sacrifice instead. The story demonstrates Ibraham's dedication to surrendering to Allah and ******s celebrate Eid as a reminder of their own commitment to Allah with a ritual sacrifice of a live sheep/lamb. I was told at the time that a live sheep on the quay in Oz was worth about $10 and that a live sheep on the quay in Kuwait was worth about $100 frozen lamb was only worth about 50% of that. The prices like any other commodity changed with supply and demand but normally peaked with the various religious festivals. The ship made 3 runs up to Kuwait where the sheep were discharged into trucks that transported them across the desert to Iraq which was at war with Iran. At the time Kuwait like most of the Arab countries was supporting Iraq. On one of those trips an Iranian war ship stopped us with the threat of gunfire as they thought we were carrying livestock to their enemies (We were) They searched the ship and both the captain's and my safes for papers that would show where the cargo would end up and kept us dead in the water for several hours. To ventilate a lot of the cargo decks and livestock the ship needed to be underway. The result was that several hundred sheep died through suffocation? We were eventually allowed to proceed with our cargo, It was sickening to see the distress and suffering of those sheep and quite a few more were dead on arrival at Kuwait.
    Last edited by john walker; 24th August 2018 at 08:25 AM. Reason: spelling

4. Thanks cappy, Tony Taylor, Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, dave moore liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hope poor sheep are treated well now... so heartbreaking to know how things were back in the days

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to have to tell you that those who think the mainly humane carriage of sheep and cattle from NZ and OZ was cruel, you ain't seen nothing yet, a new port 60 miles from Port Sudan is opening at the end of this year to export sheep, camels and goats from Sudan to Saudi Arabia, I leave the thoughts of that with you, but having been to both places my own thoughts tend to think that humane practices will not be in the forefront.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2