1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Fully-Autonomous Container Ship Planned for 2020

13 Comments by Brian Probetts (Site Admin) Published on 13th June 2017 11:40 PM
    No copyright infringement intended, I do not own this Article.
    Brian Probetts.

First Zero-Emission, Fully-Autonomous Container Ship Planned for 2020

May 9, 2017 by Mike Schuler
    Manned operation is planned to start in the latter half of 2018, with remote-operation beginning in 2019 and fully-autonomous operation starting in 2020. Credit: Yara/Kongsberg Norwegian fertilizer producer Yara and maritime technology firm Kongsberg Gruppe are teaming up to build what they say will be the world’s first fully-electric and autonomous container feeder ship.

“The new zero-emission vessel will be a game-changer for global maritime transport contributing to meet the United Nations sustainability goals,” the companies said on Tuesday.

The planned autonomous container feeder ship, to be named YARA Birkeland, will cut emissions from road transport when it starts shipping products from Yara’s Porsgrunn plant to Norway’s Brevik and Larvik ports, the companies said.

Brevik and Larvik ports are about 14 km and 26 km away from Porsgrunn respectively by road. The vessel is expected to reduce emissions and boost safety by removing up to 40,000 truck journeys per year.

YARA Birkeland will initially operate as a manned vessel before moving to remote operation in 2019, and later to fully-autonomous operations from 2020 onwards.

Kongsberg will be responsible for the development and delivery the technology required for the vessel, including the sensors and integration required for remote and autonomous operations, in addition to the electric drive, battery and propulsion control systems.

“By moving container transport from land to sea, YARA Birkeland is the start of a major contribution to fulfilling national and international environmental impact goals. The new concept is also a giant step forward towards increased seaborne transportation in general,” says Geir Håøy, President and CEO of Kongsberg.

“Developing systems for autonomous operations is a major opening and natural step for KONGSBERG, considering our decades of expertise in the development and integration of advanced sensors, control and communication systems for all areas of ship operations.

YARA Birkeland will set the benchmark for the application of innovative maritime technology for more efficient and environmentally friendly shipping,” Håøy added.

In 2016 Kongsberg teamed up with the UK’s Automated Ships Ltd to build what they claimed would be the world’s first unmanned and fully-automated vessel for offshore operations. If all goes as planned the offshore vessel, named Hrönn, could enter service as the world’s first full-size unmanned ship as early as 2018.
    Brian Probetts (site admin)
    R760142

2. Total Comments 13

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fully-Autonomous Container Ship Planned for 2020

Seems like progress gets better and better but then life gets worse and worse! All the jobs are going at a time we really need to be trying to increase Employment!
    Life is not what it was !
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brian.
    It's a great concept but unfortunately it comes at a time when what the world need is more jobs not less. None of the wealth created by this type of futuristic and if I may say great innovation helps the present day youth get a job at sea, that is now just a dream, something us old fellers do a lot of these days.
    Cheers Des

redc.gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just means no one works and just claim government money which is supplied to government by colossal taxes of big business. A true or near enough concept envisaged probably by Karl Marx. ( and Corbyn ???) Those few who do have to do a bit of manual work will be rewarded by an extra 5 bob on their state handout. JWS.

6. Likes N/A, cappy, Captain Kong, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With ZERO EMISSIIONS what charges the Batteries and where does that Power come from. ??

Not long before all deep sea ships are like that, if the ship owner gets his way.
    Cheers
    Brian

8. Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Brain, It is just amazing the way technology is advancing so quickly. But as others have said what about the impact on jobs etc!
    I would think that concerning the charging of the batteries this will be done (1) charging will be by shore side power supply as in Plug in? (2) Solar power assist, but not sure how that will work up in Norway especially in the winter months as there is not really a lot of day light?(3)She may be fitted with a wave turbine along with her propulsion propellers and as she is under way the Turbine will spin due to the ship moving through the water and thereby recharge the batteries or assist in topping up. I am not basing this on any knowledge of the concept just my opinion.
    Battery power has been making massive strides over the years. They even have a motor cycle race now on the IOM TT called TT Zero. The improvement in performance of these machines year on year is amazing.
    Year
    Rider(s)
    Machine
    Lap time
    Average speed
    mph
    km/h
    Mark Miller
    MotoCzysz E1pc / MotoCzysz
    23:22:89
    Michael Rutter
    MotoCzysz
    22:43:68
    Michael Rutter
    MotoCzysz
    21:45:33
    Michael Rutter
    MotoCzysz
    20:38:461
    John McGuinness
    Shinden San / Team Mugen
    19:17:300
    John McGuinness
    Shinden Yon / Team Mugen
    18:58:743
    Bruce Anstey
    Shinden Go / Team Mugen
    19:07:043*
    190.572, the 2017 race was slower but this was due more to weather and some issues during the race.

Look at the advancement in the car industry as well with Hybrids and even all electric cars available.

10. Likes John Pruden liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What happened to all these nuclear powered ships that were envisaged 20 years or so ago. JWS.

Lewis McColl Guest

I am sure the only commercial one ever built was the American one the Savannah in 1959.
    I think her problem was a lot of ports around the world said they would not allow her port entry.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Savannah.
    If they are looking for Zero emissions and let's save the planet, go back to sail, have a read as the Irish & French are already doing it or planning to!!
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...arbonemissions

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Des Taff Jenkins;264972]Hi Brian.
    It's a great concept but unfortunately it comes at a time when what the world need is more jobs not less. None of the wealth created by this type of futuristic and if I may say great innovation helps the present day youth get a job at sea, that is now just a dream, something us old fellers do a lot of these days.
    Cheers Des

The problem is that today's youth do not want to go to sea. Certainly not as ratings. Unfortunately, those entering the profession as cadet officers are in the main University graduates some in their late 20s/30s disillusioned by work offered to them shoreside.The situation at sea does little to improve their lot with little chance of advancement. I think you just have to accept times are a changing Des. You would not recognise what is out there now.

14. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Jim not sure if I agree about todays youth not wanting to go to sea. It is just that owners will not want to foot the cost of training so the job opportunities are sadly not there. I think Bibby still sponsor some as do BP Shell and Northern Marine also maybe TK shipping. I would be very surprised if anyone actually sponsors Deck or Engine ratings anymore, there may still be some Catering Ratings (cruise ships etc! I know there used to be the Jim Slater fund but not sure if that is still going.
    Minimum requirements
    At least 18 years old.
    A minimum of 64 UCAS points (or equivalent) including Maths or Science OR
    A minimum 5 G.C.S.E.s at grade B or above in English, Maths, Science (with Physical Science content).

These are the requirements for a Cadetship with BP shipping.
    It is a real shame how the industry has gone from when I first shipped out in 1969, let's face it even as far back as that the jobs were disappearing due to cheaper crews. My last couple of years at sea I was sailing as Gas Eng on LNG tankers also my roll was in training UAE nationals , sorry but lazy arrogant a********s everyone and dangerous, I have said it before you could train a monkey quicker.

16. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast