1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

Fully-Autonomous Container Ship Planned for 2020

13 Comments by Brian Probetts (Site Admin) Published on 13th June 2017 11:40 PM
    No copyright infringement intended, I do not own this Article.
    Brian Probetts.

First Zero-Emission, Fully-Autonomous Container Ship Planned for 2020

May 9, 2017 by Mike Schuler
    Manned operation is planned to start in the latter half of 2018, with remote-operation beginning in 2019 and fully-autonomous operation starting in 2020. Credit: Yara/Kongsberg Norwegian fertilizer producer Yara and maritime technology firm Kongsberg Gruppe are teaming up to build what they say will be the world’s first fully-electric and autonomous container feeder ship.

“The new zero-emission vessel will be a game-changer for global maritime transport contributing to meet the United Nations sustainability goals,” the companies said on Tuesday.

The planned autonomous container feeder ship, to be named YARA Birkeland, will cut emissions from road transport when it starts shipping products from Yara’s Porsgrunn plant to Norway’s Brevik and Larvik ports, the companies said.

Brevik and Larvik ports are about 14 km and 26 km away from Porsgrunn respectively by road. The vessel is expected to reduce emissions and boost safety by removing up to 40,000 truck journeys per year.

YARA Birkeland will initially operate as a manned vessel before moving to remote operation in 2019, and later to fully-autonomous operations from 2020 onwards.

Kongsberg will be responsible for the development and delivery the technology required for the vessel, including the sensors and integration required for remote and autonomous operations, in addition to the electric drive, battery and propulsion control systems.

“By moving container transport from land to sea, YARA Birkeland is the start of a major contribution to fulfilling national and international environmental impact goals. The new concept is also a giant step forward towards increased seaborne transportation in general,” says Geir Håøy, President and CEO of Kongsberg.

“Developing systems for autonomous operations is a major opening and natural step for KONGSBERG, considering our decades of expertise in the development and integration of advanced sensors, control and communication systems for all areas of ship operations.

YARA Birkeland will set the benchmark for the application of innovative maritime technology for more efficient and environmentally friendly shipping,” Håøy added.

In 2016 Kongsberg teamed up with the UK’s Automated Ships Ltd to build what they claimed would be the world’s first unmanned and fully-automated vessel for offshore operations. If all goes as planned the offshore vessel, named Hrönn, could enter service as the world’s first full-size unmanned ship as early as 2018.
    Brian Probetts (site admin)
    R760142

2. Total Comments 13

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fully-Autonomous Container Ship Planned for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by [[B
    B]UAE nationals,[/B[/B]] sorry but lazy arrogant a******s everyone and dangerous, I have said it before you could train a monkey quicker.
    Is there such a thing Lewis. I seem to recall in the 80s the UAE did much to promote 'Arabisation'. The lead came from the ADNOC who stopped recruiting Brits and insisted that all new positions would be offered to Arabs. The problem here is people from all Arab speaking nations were being employed as there were precious few home grown UAE nationals. Basically, they were Bedou and that was it. So, Egyptians, Iraqi's, Syrians, Jordanians and all those Nations along the North African coast flooded into the UAE, taking every position available that used to be held by expats. The problem is further compounded by the very fact that all these Arabs have one thing in common and it is not the language, it is that they all hate each other. Two Egyptians working together great, no problem. Two Jordanians fine, no problem. Combine any of the above such as an Egyptian and a Libyan and then expect a problem. This problem is illustrated when you a berthing at SBMs and you have a say an Egyptian pilot on the bridge who has the con and say a Iraqi pilot on the Foc'sle relaying info to pilot on bridge. Occasionally, things happen that cannot be explained. Further a thought to leave you with. Following the 'six day war' in 66 the Israeli cabinet warned Mrs Golda Meyer that she can now expect big problems from other Arab nations for defeating Egypt to brutally and efficiently. Her answer was 'My troubles will start when I can get two Arab nations agreeing with each other'. That answer/statement was true 51 years ago and also holds good today.
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 15th June 2017 at 02:22 PM.

4. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My previous post No.11 on this thread refers to UAE Nationals which I tried to Highlight and enbolded but, it did not work resulting in 'At least 18 year old training' being highlighted.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When one thinks back...for most on this site when first went to sea, the average 10,000 ton cargo vessel had mostly 40 plus of a crew. They were definitely needed. The average ship had 5 holds and 10 derricks. It took 4men to top or lower a derrick. The holds had wooden hatch boards and 3 or 4 tarpaulins to cover with. Portable beams to replace in the coamings and would sometimes take up to 3 hours to prepare for sea. With the moderisation of steel hatch covers, cranes, and all the smaller things which changed allowed he shipowner to reduce his manning with the connivance of whatever government department was necessary. Today I take the easy way out and say I couldn't care less what they do as regards manning of ships as is no longer my job to sail them. However I foresee they will have many problems in the future, and when they do go back to re manning of vessels for safety reasons if nothing else, they will find there are very few proper seamen remaining. JWS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is no such thing as zero emission.
    For the sake of argument less take a one kilowatt hour battery with no losses and 1005 efficiency (makes the whole scenario easier).
    When it is connected to vehicle it omits no CO2, fact.
    When it is drained of power it requires charging either at a charging station or at home.
    To replenish the drained battery it requires 1KWw hour power from the mains, which is generated by a power station.
    To generate 1KWHR of electricity 1.lbs per kwhr, source carbonfund.org.
    So there is no such thing as zero emission.
    Regards
    Vic

8. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2