Jun 2021
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

A seamans Story

4 Comments by David Okell Published on 2nd November 2022 11:20 PM
    My trip as a deck hand on the Thor 1, was preceded by my first trip at sea at age 17 to Japan .

We encountered a cat 5 typhoon halfway between Japan and Alaska. Returning to Vancouver, where I lived.

But it’s Tahiti that stands out in my memory. Imagine my surprise when I googled Quinn’s bar and a photo of Susy no pants was there to see!

After that voyage I returned to Vancouver again but went on one last trip on an old ex-banana boat from Ecuador.
    Mexican captain, who was often drunk, a Bolivian first mate, another fellow from the Canary Islands with his dog.
    The dog would run off with the captain's pipe, with him chasing it along the deck. Very funny.

The radar didn’t work , the captain would be quite drunk, kick and swear at it !

The engine broke down three times crossing the Pacific on the way to pick up a cargo of New Zealand apples before returning to Vancouver.
    I worked on deck 8 hours per day, four hours on watch, abc four hours at the wheel.
    On my 21st birthday mid pacific I was presented with a case if New Zealand beer and proceeded to get drunk myself, then at midnight, it was my turn at the wheel! Lol.

One morning at dawn white water was visible dead ahead of us, breaking on a reef with no land in sight. Luckily it was daylight !

After that the captain taking a liking me wanted me to stay on the ship to circumnavigate South America.
    He regaled me with stories of his travel as a young man from Mexico to the tip of South America. This while sitting in his captain's chair, me at the wheel steering the ship.

He had an Elvis hairdo with ducktail, black leather jacket, collar turned up and would pull out his switchblade to use as a toothpick .. he was an unforgettable character.

That was just the beginning of extraordinary trips to the UK, Spain, Morocco, travelled all over Europe, and drove a VW camper with my girlfriend and two sons from Spain to Pakistan then on to Sri Lanka.
    I was kidnapped by four armed men in northern Pakistan, managed to escape luckily , but nearly succumbed to thirst.
    All in all I’m lucky to be alive still with my then girlfriend now my wife, having been inseparable for 59 years now .
    Yes she knows about Susy ..
    we are pensioners living on Bowen island near Vancouver.
    I’m British by descent and Canadian born.

David Okell.

2. Total Comments 4

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A seamans Story

Enjoyed reading that, David. Okell that is a Manx name are you a long lost member of the Okell brewery in the Isle of Man. Great beer I may add.

4. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi David
    Welcome to the site and many thanks for a great Opener!
    The sort of thing we always look forward to reading, keeps the Mind open and Alert!
    So many of us here have had good and bad experiences, and i guess that the way life was in the what we call the good oild days!

I too havehad quite a few harrowing Experiences, and like you lucky i guess to still be around!

Also with my lovely Wife of nw nearly 55 Years, but is of course the third one, so could have been over the 60 Year mark by now! LOL

Look forward to possibly more Stories from you.
    Cheers

Enjoy the site!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that David a mirror of my sea and family life amongst many similar characters on this site. my culture
    is British born to a wonderful Canadian Father. Regards Roger. (M)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great story David, took me back to a few of my travels at sea, thanks
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget