Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gsnc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Gsnc

Hello all, Im a newbie to this site. I was at sea 1947 to 1977 in catering. My first ten years I more or less operated on a programme of one ship,one trip but of course at times the Pool had different ideas. However usually when I had a girl friend I liked the GSNC ships which were short trips and I could get home each night when in London, Irongate Wharf,London Docks or Regents Canal Dock. They were all good little ships and a DOCKING BOTTLE each week more or less as it was the Captains bond. My first ship was WOODCOCK in 1950 on the Bordeaux run stayed in her about 4 months. Next was Seamew to Oporto another three months which of course involved several short runs That was 1953,. Also then did a short spell on Royal Sovereign running day trips Tower Bridge to Margate & Southend. Another girlfriend another GSN but something a bit different Dec 1954/Jan 1955 (home for Christmas) on the troopship Empire Parkeston running Harwich/Hook of Holland with troops of the BAOR. An amazing point about this ship she sailed at midnight docked about 6am next morning so I was in bed all voyage.... I was officers mess steward. In 1955 couple of monthson the little Drake. Running to Tonnay Charente nearest port to Cognac and that was our cargo. In 1956 FAUVETTE and a diffrent run through Kiel Canal to Copenhagen with private visits to Carlsberg Brewery as a leisure activity. Second period on DRAKE followed in quick succession by WHITEWING and GANNET. Last ship with them was HERON in 1957, nice little ship. There were other company ships in between some of the aforementioned, but I was very fond of GSNC which was a subsidery of P&O. The crew office was right on Tower Bridge at Irongate Wharf ,this site now long gone and a hotel.
    Once on Gannet in mid 1956 (Spt ?) we left London in the evening and I was in bed when I awoke to rough seas smashing against porthole and engine silence. Went on deck to discover our lifeboat launched and going to rescue crew of TRAQUAIR, Gibsons of Leith which was foundering and sank later. All crew rescued safely due to Gannets C/O and four ABS. We dropped them in Hamburg. I donated some spare gear and cooked sausages for survivors. Almost a year later whilst on Heron I was called to head office,wondering what was up,only to be presented with a wristwatch presented by the ships insurers. It was a good watch and lasted for years,only hope the lifeboat crew got a gold one as it was a rough old night. Anyone out there on any of these ships about same time ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool G.s.n.c.

Hi R396040.
    No name,so what do we call you?
    Nice to meet someone else who sailed
    with the G.S.N.C.I think that you are only
    the third that Ive "Spoken"to.I only sailed
    on the one ship,the Lapwing,during 1953,Cook
    Steward and me cabin boy.Can still remember going
    ashore in diffenrent ports with great big baskets
    to buy stores,and the Cook Steward would only
    buy from the C0-OP if possible because he got
    dividend points.Maybe you can help me.Ive
    collected the cap badges of all the Companies
    I sailed with,now Im trying to collect uniform
    buttons for my collection.Only short of two,Houlder
    Bros,and G.S.N.C.,maybe you know where I can get
    hold of one??.Hope that your keeping well,if you get
    the chance,drop me a line.

Dave Williams(R583900)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Daishop

I sailed on the 'Swift' from Oct., 55 round to Feb 56. Good ship good crew. Why did I leave wanted to go back deep water. Mike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile GSNC from R396040

Hi Dave
    Sorry about delay in answering I am still trying to work out this site. Got used to Ships Nostalgia which is similar but different to use. Yes of course I remember Lapwing but never sailed in her, they were all good little ships. I usually sailed on them when I had a current girl friend so got home more, lived near Staines in those days so home in an hour. Sorry I have no buttons except standard MN ones or HM Customs. Have you a photo of Lapwing ? I have GSNC book with all the photos of fleet so could copy Lapwick if you wanted ,
    Best wishes,
    Stuart Henderson R306040

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool G.s.n.c

Hi Stuart.
    Just came across your posting on the Postings,I had looked for you on Private
    Messages,Ive got my wires crossed,but all sorted now.I only did the one trip
    on the Lapwing,but it looks like you spent most of your sea time with the G.S.N.C ?.
    Maybe you could help me.I collected the Cap Badges of all the Compnies I sailed
    with,now Im collecting the uniform buttons,but Im short of two,you've guessed it
    the G.S.N.C.,if by any chance you come across one,perhaps you could let me know.
    It was nice to hear from you,I hope that you and your Family had a nice Xmas and
    New Year.I hope that your keeping well,and if you get five minutes to spare,drop
    me a line.

Dave Williams(R583900)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool G.s.n.c

Hi Stuart.
    Your messages are coming up fast and furious???.In my last message
    I mentioned "buttons" forgetting that I already had asked you.Sorry!!!!
    Thanks for the offer of photo's of the Lapwing,but Ive got four or five
    of her.Ive been lucky to obtain photo's of every ship I sailed on.Please
    stay in touch.Hope that your keeping well.

Dave Williams(R583900)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool

stuart,
    you are not really allowed to copy pictures from a book,its called copyright.
    if you would like more pictures of your ships,go to the following site
    www.photoship.co.uk
    mike
    Gallery Manager and Friend of the Website

R 693816

Please visit the Gallery to see the latest photos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G'day Mike, interesting topic about copyright. Ruling over here many years ago was that uni students could copy photos from a book if part of an assignment and not breach copyright. Opened a can of worms thats for sure, but ruling still stands.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mike Hall

Hey Mike. What wonderful site you've put up www.photoship. I found 4 of mine which i never thought I'd see. Many thanks well done. Mike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up the Heron

Hi,
    I am trying to find anyone who may have known Trevor Jenkins. He sailed aboard The Heron around late
    50s early 60s,He was origionally from Acton but married a geordie girl and moved to Tyneside
    He was killed in a tragic accident in 1969,
    I am the husband of his daughter who would love to speak to anyone who knew her Father and could fill in some of the missing pieces of his life,
    hope someone remembers him thanks

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast