Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Just a warning to ALL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Just a warning to ALL

Keith,
    I have had dealings with that mob just recently, concerning a very elderly aunt. They target elderly people and rely on their memories being poor.
    They dress it up to look like a renewal so the target thinks they have dealt with them previously. My aunt has alzheimers but at the moment it is mainly memory that is patchy. It skates very close to being criminal and their phone operators are real sleaze bags.
    I told her you don't need it, never had it anyway, as I bought her a new washing machine and cooker in the last 12 months.
    However they wheedled a bank account number out of her but fortunately it was for a savings account which would not accept direct debits.
    I have given her a "Pockit" card which I can put cash on and all she does is tap it on the card reader, she cannot spend anymore than what is on there and there is no route for the scammers to get back to her bank account.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Moss View Post
    I have been getting calls regarding my internet connection will be shut down tomorrow stuff. Given I don't have an internet connection, I am prepaid on a dongle I have been deleting this call. Telstra say that if you check the incoming calls they put up a fake number that almost looks legit but isn't. Their advice is delete, delete so that's what I do.
    Vick, This seems to be the latest fad with these scammers i was warned twice last week that my connection would be turned of they go on to say press 1 to speak with your provider or press 9 to speak to technical support its very important to simply put the phone down and block the number not that it will stop them once they have your number they have 100s of phones at there disposal, But never press either 1 or 9 or any other number just ignore it. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One received not more than 20 mins ago, dear amazon customer, regarding your order of an Apple iPhone 11, you must be bloody joking, i cannot use the one i have got properly !!!. I have heard of some clever person who scammed the scammers out of a large amount of money, if true, brilliant, thieving from thieves , sounds good to me, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Woodard View Post
    I use Paypal and have no problems. When I set it up I had to register it with my bank account which I did to the number one account. Also had to give credit card number which I did. I then cancelled that credit card and got a new one with new number. Kept getting requests to update my credit card number to them for about six months. They gave up on that so now Paypal is only linked to an account that has nothing in it. So when I make a purchase I make sure that I transfer the said amount into the number one account. Been doing this for years now and confident that if a scam artist cons me they will get bugger all out of Paypal for sure. Do not know if this of any use to members but it is out there now for anyone thinking along these lines.
    Certainly makes sense Les. I only use pay pal for online purchases it is a safe outfit of that i have no doubt but its certainly worth bearing you advise good thinking partner Terry,
    {terry scouse}

5. Thanks Les Woodard thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that RLT it has worked for me for years now. Being carful of scammers can work out being more costly but well worth I reckon. Example of this? Got a phone call from someone saying that they where from NRMA (roadside assist similar to AA) and that my membership was due for renewal and did I want to renew now. Said that I would go onto the website and do it online as did not want to give out particulars over a phone call that I did not initiate. Was then told that if I renewed over the phone that they would reduce the payment by a substantial amount. Yep told them that I would do it on line and pay the full amount. Not sure if the call was kosher or not and that I had lost on a good deal but feel safer doing it the way I did.

On another topic but still a big con is that they have detained another ship here in Newcastle NSW. A bulk carrier Unison Jasper because the crew (11) have not been paid correctly and have been on her for fourteen months straight plus 9 officers. First paragraph in todays paper. The alumina ship detained in Newcastle be federal government agency for non-payment of wages and other breaches was "the tip of the iceberg", the international Transport Workers Federation (ITF) said yesterday.
    The federations Australian co-ordinator, Dean Summers, said that between 300,000 and 400,000 seaman were trapped at sea oon more than 15,000 vessels unable to get off because of COVID-19 restrictions in every port.

Sorry about changing the thread but being dedicated ludditt have lost how to start a new thread but just goes to prove to all those that where so anti union what they have done to the shipping trade. So bloody glad that I got my time at sea signing on under the protection of a seamans union (UK) that even if weak did have some muscle until the sixties strike buggered it all up.
    Last edited by Les Woodard; 3rd August 2020 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Ships name is Unision Jasper not Union Jasper
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have always maintained that the working man has to have a union for protection. All anti-union rhetoric is just
    that ...rhetoric , so if they aren’t covered and land in strife,they only have themselves to blame. JS
    PS. The last thing the NUS. Was fighting for in the. 60s was Captive time anyone know what happened to it , or was it blown away after 1966. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd August 2020 at 11:06 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have never owned a credit card or mobile, though we are thinking of getting a cheap one for emergencies when we drive to Canberra.
    But shows how these ars$#$s ply their trade if one is nor careful. Our bank here in Cooma closed two years ago, so any transactions we do we have to go to Canberra, or a place called Marimbilla same distance the other way 100Ks, we got a garbled phone call saying that our account had been accessed and to let them know the password so they could check it, or to call this particular number to let them know.
    Jesus I have been conned to join some rust buckets in my time but this was pure armature stuff, trouble is there are many out there who are getting on in age who get caught by these Bastwards and are losing their savings. Time to bring back hanging.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had a call some time back which for a couple of minutes sounded genuine.
    Then he mentioned the phone company, not mine so I put the phone down on him.

He called back a minute or so later, her indoors answered.

He asked why we had hung up on him, the reply from her was amazing in telling him to do things to himself which I considered almost impossible.
    He may well be walking with a limp if he tried it.

But had a video the other day from USA where a guy answered the caller telling him he was police conduction a murder enquiry into the man he was calling. Carried it on for several minutes.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a right bloody idiot on the phone the other week, Remember the cook book you applied for online a few days ago................... NO, Yes you must be into fine cuisine to want my recipe book i commend you sir you have fine taste and you wont be dissapointed, All i need is your sort code number and i will take £1 for postage and package,Why a £1 is that worth a phone call, Well sir i am that confident that once you try a few recipes as your a man of good food and taste you will come back for a more detailed book. No ta i don't want your book Sir please what bank are you with, Halifax i said which i am not, Your sort code number will begin with 11 they all do with Halifax go and get your card and give me the other numbers the book will be on its way to you today. How many have fell for that one. Lads if it sounds to good to be true then it obviously isn't its as easy to put the phone down as it is to pick it up Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We all cannot allow ourselves to get ga ga, they would clean us out in minutes, but being ex seamen we grew up with scams all over the world, and got pretty shrewd with it. A few trips through the Suez and a call into Aden certainly kept your wits about you, kt
    R689823

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast