Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Doeskin Uniform Set

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Wanted: Doeskin Uniform Set

Hello all,

I have been looking for a nice Doeskin fabric jacket and trousers set for some time now.

Without wanting to sound like a cheap so and so, doeskin is extremely expensive to buy new now and I'm just not able to find a tailor that will do this for a price that is not extortionate. Even then, these are only Royal Navy tailors as almost all Merchant Navy "tailors" now give you off the peg uniforms, which are normally either a Polyester and Wool mix or barathea.

I'd be looking for a size 42" chest and trousers with a waist of about 36" (bearing in mind I can have these taken out further if they're too small). Also, as they would be worn for occasion I'd be looking for something in good condition which would last.

I suspect that this is a long shot, but any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kind regards,
    Jack.
    P.S, I would be happy to take anything which needs braid or buttons replacing, but where the fabric is in good condition.
    Last edited by Jack Taylor; 7th December 2014 at 10:39 PM.
    Kind Regards,
    Jack.

OOW Unlimited, British Merchant Navy.

Founder at: British Seafarers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Wanted: Doeskin Uniform Set

Don't know where you are living, but last time I was in Fagins at Cullompton, near Exeter he had all kinds of uniforms and supplies the film industry. Fagins is an antique dealer, you'll find them on the internet

3. Thanks Jack Taylor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Ivan,

Many thanks for you reply.

I'm up in Fleetwood, but would not hesitate to take a trip down if there was something available. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

If anyone else knows of any other sources then please do let me know.

Many thanks,

Kind regards,
    Jack.
    Kind Regards,
    Jack.

OOW Unlimited, British Merchant Navy.

Founder at: British Seafarers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Used to be Woods of North and South Shields, don't know if they exist anymore. Had 3 uniforms MN regular, in 49 years at sea, first one stolen in BA. Second one shrunk and third one was paid for by others for a ceremonial occasion. Most companies deep sea used to have their own companies livery which was usually grey in colour. Any MN uniforms you see with companies braid and badges is not legally a uniform it is company livery. The regular MN uniform is as stipulated and was officially laid down by the Crown I believe. Woods in Shields used to do a roaring business due of course to the large amounts of seafarers in the area , as said believe they no longer exist as regards the MN supplies. Cappy will know as frequents Shields quite often. As regards Doeskin, although was the common thing in my days, would be extremely hard to find now I should imagine, even the one I got for ceremonial purposes was made with Barathea. You would probably find in Saville Row if willing to go to that that expense. All these masters of passenger ships dressed up as Xmas trees 9 times out of 10 are not wearing MN uniform as most do not wear official MN braid. Cheers JS PS When going to Woods in Shields to be measured up, they also asked if any ribbons or service medals were required on same, so they had a means of supplying such also. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 8th December 2014 at 03:21 AM.

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Going back 26 years try S.M.Bass and Co. 16 Paragon Street, Hull, HU1 3ND, Phn o482-224780 A wild gamble Cheers John S

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

jack try the MN site on e bay all new and sent to your door..jp

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is only one time I can ever recall that a master on one ship had a fetish about the O.O.W. wearing a uniform cap on the Bridge. This was ok as I was 2nd. mate and the 3rd. mate shared one between the two of us and used to leave in a convenient place when coming off watch so the next user could pick up. The only flaw with this though was at morning and noon sights where a bit of juggling had to go on especially if the old man was on the Bridge, Don't know if he ever copped on to it, but never said anything.. Most of the old skippers I sailed with their only concession to uniform was when the owners were visiting the vessel. Do remember one time when working for the navy were invited to the officers Wardroom for drinks and a meal, we wore mostly the woolie pullies as supplied. Big scrounge around looking for epaulettes, the Ch.Eng. finished up with a pair of BOAC pilot ones. Nothing said so maybe no one noticed, being the polite lot they were. All got slightly inebriated in any case. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 8th December 2014 at 11:44 AM.

12. Likes cappy, Ivan Cloherty, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got rollocked by the Captain on the Empress of Canada for appearing in a photo with a tourist and not having my cap one. This occurred during a First Class bridge tour when the passenger in question was having her turn to get photographed steering the ship, grabbed hold of me, put my cap on her head and told the photographer to take the photo. All photos used to be posted up the next day in the foyer by the shops and the Captain used to examine them daily. The day after my photo sans hat had been taken I was on my way to post up the noon position and put up the miles steamed in the last 24 hours for the passengers raffle, when I saw the captain examining the photos from the previous day. He suddenly straightened up and stared closely at one photo, looking around he spotted me and beckoned me over, pointed at one picture that had a rather startled looking deck officer {me} with a females arm around my neck and her sporting my cap. He wanted to know why I had no cap on but when I explained that the lady in question, a dame of the British empire, had just grabbed my hat and put it on her head, he was somewhat pacified. After that we had to keep a spare cap on the bridge for passengers use only.
    That particular bridge tour was memorable. The usual procedure for the 1st class bridge tour was for me to go to the 1st class lounge where the passengers would be sitting reading or writing up their journals whilst listening to the pianist tinkle the ivories and the bored 1st class barman polished glasses with no customers. The barman would announce to the room that anyone wishing to have a tour of the ships bridge should follow me. Most of the time I would only have one or two interested with most of them just looking at me as if I was an alien from outer space. This time though as I approached the lounge I could raucous chatter and laughter coming from the lounge and on entering was greeted by the sight of a very harried barman trying to keep up supplying a large group of passengers, led by a very smartly dressed,well spoken middle aged lady {who turned out to be a Dame} whilst the poor pianist tried vainly to make his tinkling of the ivories heard. On my presence been announced this whole gang fell off their bar stools and demanded pitchers of cocktails off the barman for them to imbibe whilst they were on said bridge tour. I led this gang of them, along with all their drinks, up to the bridge all the time wondering what I let myself in for and what the Captain would say if he witnessed it all, probably nothing as they were 1st class.
    Once I had them all on the bridge they were more akin to a bunch of school kids on a days outing. Trying to maintain any sort of order was nigh on impossible, they were just wandering around drinking and attempting to pay with any and all the gear. I just managed to stop one of them from ringing full astern on the telegraph's, he had asked me what they were for and I explained that they controlled the engines {could not be bothered to explain steam turbines to him} and thus the ships speed. He had his hands on them and was about to ring them astern when I got to him before he could actually move them.
    Trying to keep a bunch of half nizzed 1st class passengers in line on a bridge tour was one of the most exhausting experience I ever had whilst I was on the Canada
    rgds
    JA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My small experience with passengers who I found more troublesome time wise than the general cargo we carried with even horses on deck at times. We carried a 22 year old cadet who was quite capable of taking the 4 to 8 watch and the old man always used to try and insist on my coming in for Dinner with the passengers, think I got caught twice to have to do this. The accepted dress code for this as was mainly tropical trips was black trousers black cumberband white shirt and black bow tie, no mess jackets as such. As we had 4 different masters during the 12 months I was there managed to find an excuse, such as having to take stars or too much traffic around , or the cadet wanted assistance. The Lobster thermodore or whatever delicacies were available had arrangements with the stewardess to leave in my cabin. However was always having visitations from the same passengers as they knew we had our own bond prices much cheaper than the passenger bar. You have to be of a certain type I maintain to go to sea with passengers, to me I looked on them as freight which paid for our wages. Those mates and engineers who sailed on passenger ships cannot of had a great need for money as should imagine some of their bar tabs would of exceeded some of the wages some of us got. Every one to his own, those who liked the lifestyle of a passenger ship the best of luck to them, was not my cup of tea, I always felt at a social disadvantage. Cheers John S

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John S
    On the E of Canada the Officers who had there own tables in the 1st class saloon and who had to sit with passengers at their table, got a "entertaining allowance". They were also allowed and expected to, drink in the passengers lounges.
    All the pursers plus the Master, Staff Captain, Chief and 1st Officer, Chief Engineer, Staff Chief, Senior 2nd Engineers plus Chief Sparks also received this allowance.
    I believe in P & O at the time all Officers received an a allowance as they were all expected to mingle with and entertain the passengers whereas in C.P. , apart from the above mentioned ranks the rest of us were strictly forbidden from being in passenger areas and if we met any passengers whilst in the passenger areas going about our business you were "to make polite conversation and to move on as soon as possible"
    rgds
    JA

16. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast