Likes (Received)

Default M.v. Northumberland

Hello Shipmates
    I sailed on the M.V. Northumberland M.V.Sussex and the Rakia
    Agu 1956 -- Sept1958
    I built a model of the Northumberland @ 1/48 scale in 1973
    and sail in across the river Mersey

Northumberland.jpg
    Last edited by Brian Probetts (Site Admin); 1st May 2021 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: M.V. Northumberland

Hi old sea salt I too sailed with Federal Steamship Company 63/65 the Essex and Middlesex it was a good company to work for being on deck we worked plenty of overtime. When I joined the Middlesex early 64 I was told when signing on its a long trip approx 9 Months we were sailing from N/Z /Aust/to American ports eastern side and up to Montreal Canada they call this the MANZ run at the end of 9 Months guess what we were rechartered and signed off in Montreal after spending 17 months away from home my mistake I should have read the small print on signing on form. Was talking to fellow deckie later mentioned about being away along time he said that’s nothing he was on a Ropner tramp ship get this 34 Months before he signed off poor soul. Michael Montgomery
    Last edited by Brian Probetts (Site Admin); 1st May 2021 at 11:04 AM.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not sure that is correct, my understanding of ships articles is that we signed on for a max of 2 years and providing the ship was proceeding toward a UK port at the end of that period we were still on articles. When the ship arrived in home waters then we could demand to be paid off. After 2 years if the ship was still trading outside of home waters and was not bound for home then we could demand to be paid off and repatriated back to the UK. I came ashore in 1964 did the rules change after that? because I find it hard to believe that a seaman could be kept on articles for 34 months.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3 you are correct in 1950's/60's and later the maximum was 24 months on UK FG Articles, the small print stated could be extended to maximum of 27th months if the vessel's future itinary showed that it was due to call at the UK upon the expiry of the 24 month period. In later years with the demise of the Red Ensign and the preponderance of foreign crews manning the remaining red ensign ships more and more company-agreements were introduced and were too varied to go into here, although from what I remember it was 6 - 9 months for officers and 12 -17 months for ratings, but depended on the trade routes and class of vessel. Others will know more.

However fantastic model Donald and it must bring pleasure to many on its sailing days
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 4th November 2021 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: M.v. Northumberland

Yes in 1958 signed Articles for 2 Years with UCL. That was then the Normal~
    Cheers

What a great Model you have done there! Very Impressive i must say!
    Good on Ya! Matey!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: M.v. Northumberland

I must have missed this post, April 21. What a lovely model of a Federal ship, anyone seeing it sail across the river Mersey would want to join her.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

9. Likes N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2 Bit by bit after you left the sea the rules of engagement slowly changed , it was more frequent later to see a Running Agreement in force , this cut back the 2 years to 6 months and so was called the 6 months running Agreement. This meant that even though the ship returned to the UK the Articles did not have to be closed , and if a seaman wanted off he had to Put in 72 hours notice before arrival and he was free to go. The only draw back was if he hadn’t done. 6 months he had to pay his own travel expenses home. His expenses were only paid if he was fired , which made it very awkward at times as some saw that as a way off the ship. You could in theory make any adjustments to the standard agreements going by having such clauses in the Articles, not saying they would be accepted though, however certain ships I joined I had such done. On Indian crewed ships have seen a clause put in that they had to have a daily ration of Dahl put in the provisions clause, and certain clothing classed as cold weather gear supplied in certain Latitudes . The list goes on. JS.....
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 5th November 2021 at 03:02 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Beautiful model and a Happy ship when I was on her. Joined her in March 1970 paid off in Blackwall (not sure of name just outside London) Aug.1972 where she was laid up. Did 1 H/t 2 F/r. One F/r was 5 months the second 22months on the Crusader run Kiwi to Japan. On the last run up to Japan pilot made an error and the strong current pushed us on to the breakwater hitting us amidships where we bounced off on entering the harbour of Kagashima in southern Japan. I was a member of the Aft mooring party and literally saw the ship flex as it hit then spring back 6 weeks in Yokohama back to Kiwi. The skipper Capt Hollingworth a real gentleman on his last voyage before retiring sent home even though the Northumberland was homeward bound from Kiwi

12. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: M.V. Northumberland

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Turner View Post
    Beautiful model and a Happy ship when I was on her. Joined her in March 1970 paid off in Blackwall (not sure of name just outside London) Aug.1972 where she was laid up. Did 1 H/t 2 F/r. One F/r was 5 months the second 22months on the Crusader run Kiwi to Japan. On the last run up to Japan pilot made an error and the strong current pushed us on to the breakwater hitting us amidships where we bounced off on entering the harbour of Kagashima in southern Japan. I was a member of the Aft mooring party and literally saw the ship flex as it hit then spring back 6 weeks in Yokohama back to Kiwi. The skipper Capt Hollingworth a real gentleman on his last voyage before retiring sent home even though the Northumberland was homeward bound from Kiwi
    Michael ,you probably mean when she was laid up in the River Blackwater .Good Link HERE
    Graham

14. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Graham Mike T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast