Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: mv Hertford

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default mv Hertford

Be real chuffed to hear from anyone who was on Hertford in 1965/66.

Brian Probetts - Second Steward.
    Brian Probetts (site admin)
    R760142

2. Likes Doc Vernon, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian. I was 2nd/Stwd on her in 60/61. Last trip I done with the company as got married in March 61 and went ashore, lasted 6weeks and joined one of Houlders, 'Shaftsbury' stayed on her for a year back and forth to Sth America and then became 2/Stwd on their 'Newbury' fair ship but the crew mostly from Wales (Cardiff) and brought their squables with 'em. Next time home the W.R. said ashore or finish and so began a career in the Post Office.

4. Likes Doc Vernon, Terry Sullivan, Ian Walsh liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Michael..

I was on the Hertford a few years after you, Captain Dell was the master and George Ford the Chief Steward.

Brian.
    R760142

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian. Captain Dell was Master on her in 60/61 and 'Nobby' Clark was C/Stwd. They took him into hospital in our 1st port of call Auckland, but because I was just 21 they put a more experienced 2nd on with me. He done the discipline and I looked after the bookwork until 'Nobby' was fit enough to rejoin us. Crikey how time flys.

8. Likes Doc Vernon, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I joined her the month you left, we went to Australia and Tasmania, the only 2 photos I have from my MN days were taken on that trip

10. Likes Doc Vernon, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

George Ford Chief Steward - John Bright (Chuckles) Chief Engineer - Jack Hill Chief Freezer - Davey ? - Cook.
    Had some good times whilst on Hertford but I was keen on promotion so left her and went to Rangitoto as Extra Second Steward.
    R760142

12. Likes Doc Vernon, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool ex MN Catering

Some great reading. I joined Hertford as Asst Steward for one trip return trip to NZ via the Continent (late1959 I think) after 15 months on the MANZ run on the WHANGAROA. Later I did 2 trips on the CAMBRIDGE ( she then went to Japan to be broken up. . .very sad) and then I was sent to Falmouth to join the HINAKURA , as 2nd Steward. It had just undergone a refit so was one hell of a mess and I could just imagine Mr Reid in Royal Albert Dock NZSCo Offices, laughing his head off! 'Timber' Woods joined in London as Chief Steward and, as Training Chief Steward,sat on his bottom most of the trip giving orders over his pink gins. One trip was enough so back in London I joined the CORNWALL for my final voyage. . and have lived in Australia since. Altogether I was with NZSCo for about 10 years. My first trip was in 1954 on the RANGITANE, then RUAHINE, RANGITOTO, OTAKI, and as mentioned the WHANGAROA. Looking back it was an almost unbelievable lifestyle. . and one which very much enriched my life and I'm thankful for.

14. Likes Doc Vernon, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Im pretty certain that Ding dong Dell gave out a few DR,s on that fateful trip discribed, about 1964 65, I jimmy Duggan and a Howard Brown known as Bobbalouy both collected DRs in their books, Ive been trying to trace both of these men , one married in Southend Jimmy Duggan i think, and have no idea where Howard Brown ended up. The DR,s virtually destroyed their deep sea Careers , and last i heard they were rock dodging around the British coast.
    Captain Ding Dong Dell was pretty well known for his DR,s and his attitude.

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The late Captain Dell was a rather strange man.
    I was the Second Steward and on one occasion in Auckland he chewed my rear end off after an inspection and then gave me ten bob to go ashore 'to the cinema'

George Ford, the Chief Steward was something else.
    R760142

18. Likes Doc Vernon, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Inspections

I suppose there were quite a few eccentric persons at sea, no doubt a factor of this was the long periods of isolation, no doubt even worse now by the ever decreasing crews on ships. This eccentricity when applied to the master was more noticeable. I was with one who on Sunday morning inspection used to go around the crews quarters with white gloves. His pet fault however was the taps in the washbasins and the drain hole in same. Had to be polished and if not would get the seaman to do and if not satisfactory on return would threaten to log same. I questioned the legality of this after the inspections, when C/E, Ch. Stwd. and self were back in his cabin for the usual Sunday morning in his cabin. His reply was the usual pompous answer, in words in short he could do as he wanted. Another one was I was told who when on leave did the same with his wife, who was a small person, he ran his finger along the top of the wardrobe and told her to get it dusted. She didnt, so he picked her up and put her on top of wardrobe and wouldnt let her down until she had done.This was told to me by a reliable source. Plenty of eccentric people at sea who we put down in most cases as characters. I know what most of our wives would have done if we had tried the same. Regards John Sabourn P.S. Ref the post worse Xmas at sea, the person who described the Rosewood and the murder off the Chilean coast will know who I am referring to as regards the white gloves. John sabourn
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 19th January 2013 at 01:40 AM.

20. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast