Thread: mv Hertford

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Inspections

But you can remember some of the crew names,so
    your memory can not be all that bad.
    Would you have sailed from London or liverpool.?
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 4th February 2016 at 04:01 PM.
    Gallery Manager and Friend of the Website

R 693816

Please visit the Gallery to see the latest photos

2. Thanks John Raydon Thomas thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: mv Hertford

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Baker View Post
    Im pretty certain that Ding dong Dell gave out a few DR,s on that fateful trip discribed, about 1964 65, I jimmy Duggan and a Howard Brown known as Bobbalouy both collected DRs in their books, Ive been trying to trace both of these men , one married in Southend Jimmy Duggan i think, and have no idea where Howard Brown ended up. The DR,s virtually destroyed their deep sea Careers , and last i heard they were rock dodging around the British coast.
    Captain Ding Dong Dell was pretty well known for his DR,s and his attitude.
    I was AB in the MV Essex in 1969, Dell master and Butch Charlesworth as mate. A 11 month double- header, UK NZ USA AUS UK. A happy ship in spite of those two!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went to sea in 1964 on my first trip on the Rangitoto, how I remember those kiwi girls, especially Diane Bell, known as ding dong bell, a lovely girl.
    Our chief steward was a very large man whose favourite expression was "Fcuk me dumb", more in hope than anything else, if you get my drift, So we nicknamend him Old Fcuk me dumb!
    Richard Maddock R802198

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Re: mv Hertford

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Probetts (Site Admin) View Post
    Be real chuffed to hear from anyone who was on Hertford in 1965/66.

Brian Probetts - Second Steward.
    I followed in your footsteps Brian. I was 2nd Steward in Hertford from April 1968 until August 1969. Purser/Chief Steward was George Ford. Master was Sandy Stalker, although I believe Ding Dong Dell was Master when you were there. When I was in Somerset, prior to joining Hertford, we were alongside Hertford in Montreal sometime in 1967 during the World Fair, and John Forster was 2nd Steward then. He must have taken over from you. Happy Christmas.

7. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never sailed with NZS or Federal but amongst my collection of menus have several from the Rangi boats given to me by my wife’s late brother in law Johnny Howard. Also a silver salt pot.His wife was also a stewardess on the liners, where they met, and her maiden name was Isobelle Geary. They also passed on menus from the Castle Mail boats and The Queens

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Probetts (Site Admin) View Post
    Be real chuffed to hear from anyone who was on Hertford in 1965/66.

Brian Probetts - Second Steward.
    The New Zealand Shipping Company gave me a scholarship to HMS Worcester, and took me from Melbourne to Liverpool on the Hertford from 20/10/59 to 04/01/60 as a supernumerary. I remember captain H.C.R. Dell, (Roger), 3rd mate Jim Thompson and 4th mate Mike Eglon. I still have a Christmas card that capt Dell gave everyone. After 2 years on the Worcester I did my 3 year deck apprenticeship with the Australind Shipping Co. (who worked with the N.Z.S.Co.). My worst memory was the stewards serving me (an Aussie) blue cheese. Yuck!

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#26 Graham re your CV , going from the Worcester to Everards as is read, people will say what happened there then. In the 50’s a lot of seamen I sailed with who had been bad boys were supposedly sent to such to do their penance so they told me. Think though but may be wrong but they were the last or one of the last to fly the flag, if not still doing so. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd December 2021 at 01:45 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was 2/RO on the Hurunui in 1962 and "nobby Clark" if he is the same one mentioned by you, was C/stwd. A good bloke and myself Nobby and the Mate used to have a few pre lunch gins together during the long haul across from Panama to NZ.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #26 Graham re your CV , going from the Worcester to Everards as is read, people will say what happened there then. In the 50’s a lot of seamen I sailed with who had been bad boys were supposedly sent to such to do their penance so they told me.
    I sailed with Everards as 2/m after my apprenticeship, don't think I did anything too onerous to get there, but what I can do is recommend it to everyone who just finished their time as it was a great learning curve both in navigation and responsibility, both thrust upon you at an early age, bluddy hard work, no change there then, really enjoyed it, but warmer climes induced me back deep sea

15. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A mate of mine went as far as skipper with them Ivan , when up for second mate he couldn’t get passed think it was the maths or one of the papers that was in the 2 mates cert. so went for mate H T. Then master H.T. Then after sailing master for a number of years , they brought in middle trade , so had to go back and start all over again wth F.G. Think he finally got it . Finished up he came mate with me on offshore agreements before getting his own masters job. Bloke surname of Tarn did you know him . It probably came in after you went ashore but certification went askew as far as I was aware ,and I wasn’t particular bothered about finding out about it as long as I was ok. Originally there weren’t so many master F,G Certs. In the North Sea and a lot of the skippers were sailing with a second mates cert.with a Command endorsement . Then came the master 1 2 3 4 5 which I never really understood and is too late to bother with now. And too long in the tooth to think about. Having an evil mind I always connect it with the EU. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th December 2021 at 09:15 AM.
    R575129

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast