Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The dreaded duvet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The dreaded duvet

Each week at bedding change, myself and my wife do this together, and to get the duvet in to the new cover, we just work the duvet each doing one side each. Today my wife said she wanted to do some urgent gardening job before it rained, and we would put the clean bedding on when she came in. Now i know that once she starts gardening, she just gets carried away, and its normally dusk before she come in. I told her i would change the bed, and she had said, do the pillows and the sheet, and we will do the duvet together when i come in.
    Now only a couple of days ago, one of the local radio presenter was saying he had just been shown this incredibly easy way to change the duvet, he said the rolling method. Anyhow i thought i would try to do this method and give the wife a surprise that i had done this easy method on my own. I thought to go on youtube and look at this method, and sure enough its there to be seen, but they also show another method, he called it the ghost method, which briefly, is to have the duvet cover inside out, reach into the corners, grab the corners to the duvet at the end of the bed, and then shake the lot with vigour. This looks simple to me, so thought i would give this a go. If anyone had videoed me, it would have been a scream, i shook this bloody thing as described, and ended up with this pile of bed duvet etc, and really went in a frenzy of shaking of shaking this lot, crashed back wards into the wardrobe, knocked one of the bed side lights ass over head, and broke the bulb, and collapsed on to the bed exhausted.After another 20 minutes straightening everything back to normal, i now wait for the wife to come in and we will put it on together !!. This got me thinking , how would i get on if left alone heaven forbid, but i have come up with the absolute answer, buy two sleeping bags, and dhobi one each week. I wonder how others get on here onboard ?. kt
    R689823

Marian Gray Guest

Default Re: The dreaded duvet

May I suggest good old fashioned blankets

This is my method and depending what size of duvet I'm wrestling with I sit down on the bed for balance.
    Have the duvet lying in a straight line on the floor at your feet and ditto for the cover on your knee.

I always start at the right cause I'm righthanded. Then lift the righthand corner of duvet and feed it up through the righthand side of your cover.

Having secured both righthand corners with right hand, then repeat with the left. Both top corners now in situ.

Still sitting, carefully use whatever hand suits and reach for the top middle of duvet and feed that also up through top of cover.

Depending on your height, with a tight grip you can stand up and shake [keep it clean] With a bit of luck cover and duvet will fall together length wise.

If not then place on bed, match duvet & cover at the bottom with the fasteners, only then shake with all your might if it is a feather duvet.

May add.... it took me longer to write this than changing the actual cover!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

will give it a go next week, when i,ve recovered Marian, lol
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Suggest you try this.Mrs Beetons book of household management. A true gem.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife is disabled so I do all the housework and have always used the ghost method for many years with no problem, never knew it was called that. My mistake is if the weather is bad putting the duvit cover in the tumbledryer with something else and it always ends up with a dry duvit cover but a wet towel or T-shirt rolled up inside the duvit.

UK003715

Marian Gray Guest

#4, Oh dear John really! Mrs Beeton the well known plagiarist, a must have, no doubt for Georgian households when first published in 1861. Unfortunately the modern duvet wasn't introduced to the UK until the 1960's by Terrance Conran with the slogan ''Sleep with a Swede''. The last UpToDate version of Mrs Beeton published around 1914 at the very best would only have provided care instructions on the Victorian eiderdowns.... remember them. Not to worry though those of the lower class who couldn't afford such a extravagant and handsome tome no doubt relied instead on the Boar War equivalent that their fathers had worn that continued straight through to Billy Connelly's era.
    NB And you couldn't wash them either

https://www.facebook.com/ukcomedyfan...0468882587305/
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 15th March 2023 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Formatting & adding a link that works!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    ''Sleep with a Swede''.
    During my time I've slept with a couple of vegetables but never a swede !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink Re: The dreaded duvet

Just found another reason why I love my wife.
    She does it.
    Graham R774640

Marian Gray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    During my time I've slept with a couple of vegetables but never a swede !
    Don't worry Iyam, one might turnip and then your heart will beet faster.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like you Graham
    My dear Wife does all that side of things, i of course do help in other aspects of the House, but Bed Making is a No No for me these days , as i think i had enough of that while in the Forces! Eeeeek!

As for Duvet , well i used to like them , of course in the cold Winters here, bt had found them far too heavy and Cumbersome, as were Blankets!

We had found new Light Blankets made of some or other Material, but really Warm, so now only use those!

All our Blankets and Duvet are now packed away and possibly will rot LOL
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

11. Thanks Graham Payne thanked for this post
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast