Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The dreaded duvet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The dreaded duvet

Hello Keith,
    If you use a top sheet as well as a bottom sheet, then the Duvet cover does not need changing so often.
    Every week put the bottom sheet in the wash. Top sheet to bottom.(turn it round) Clean sheet on the top.
    Easy peasy
    Brenda

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Um!!! I always remember a great aunt My mum asked her Alice why is your cardigan inside out. Easy I can wear it twice as long. This was really before the days of deodrant and a bath or shower once a week.

Kicked the duvet into touch years ago. Decent PJ's top sheet and a quilted throw and a well insulated house.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Um!!! I always remember a great aunt My mum asked her Alice why is your cardigan inside out. Easy I can wear it twice as long. This was really before the days of deodrant and a bath or shower once a week.

Kicked the duvet into touch years ago. Decent PJ's top sheet and a quilted throw and a well insulated house.
    I once had a first trip junior who wore his engine room dhobys four ways round, standard, back to front then same again but inside out. Soon changed when some of the nasty consequence were detailed out to him

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#13 It was standard practice in the days of collar less shirts with loose collars fastened on with studs. to wear a plastic collar for a year at a time, all it needed was an occassional wipe with a damp cloth, the alterative was paper collars. The shirt itself was another story and apart from the smell you would never know as was covered by the jacket. what can you expect with water rationing on a ship ?. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have single beds and use Duvet's but only put the cover on in the winter for extra warmth, don't have any problem with putting the covers on. One good thing we discovered this last year was to take them down to the laundry to get them washed, our little washing machine would only do one at a time, and with my wife having trouble walking we take the sheets there as well, easy peasy.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14 Washing Machines..... The first washing machines I saw on a ship was in 1964. RS Dalgliesh put 6 domestic machines about 80 pounds each at the time , on the Pennyworth an ore carrier. There was method in his madness as he also expected the ships laundry to be done in same . To which he was kindly reminded that was not the crews job. An arrangement of payment was then agreed on . However the main Laundry still went ashore to the cleaners. About the same time as previously said the galley boy seeing his big claim to fame asked him personally for a spud peeler . I warned him not to but he went ahead and spoke out , in the kindness of his heart Dalgliesh supported him in his aims and supplied , but at the cost of the galley boys job as he was considered superfluous to requirements at the time. Such is the way of shipping , you win some but lose more if too outspoken. Cheers JS
    R575129

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have two of them, one for winter and one for the warmer months.
    Cover only comes off for a wash about every three months.
    Fitted bottom sheets and a top sheet so no basic contact with the bloody thing.

But we now have on sale ,weighted blankets'.
    When I say weighted I mean just that, picked o up must have weighed about 7 or 8 kilos.
    Not sure how you use them but one on top of you in bed and you will not move an inch.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think I'll forward a lot of these tips to 'Woman's Hour'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Years ago mum did a wash once a week, now the washing machine is on nearly everyday. Certainly is next door , then the tumble dryer going for hours. Not as if the house is full of kids. I heard her mention to my wife the other day the cost of living is terrible these days my electric bill this quarter is £744.00. Wife shouts to me what is our lecky work out for the quarter less than £250.
    Obviously she is not to worried about the cost of 20 cigs a day.

Let's face it years ago most had a tin bath once a week. also everyone smelt the same so one never noticed it.
    Last edited by James Curry; 16th March 2023 at 09:50 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Let's face it years ago most had a tin bath once a week. also everyone smelt the same so one never noticed it.
    They all used the same Talcum Powder

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast