Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: assiduity

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks for the info Gulliver.been looking for ages unawere of the name change.

Regards mike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Assiduity.......

Many thanks for the info and picture. New to this site.

I sailed as a 'cabin boy' back in 1971 during my six week school holiday. ( could never do it these days) Joined her at Coryton Refinery and sailed up and down the East Coast. paid off in Kings Lynn. Ipswich was the first port of call. Went back to school and then rejoined Everards to get discharge book after leaving school then went deep sea. Sailed on The Duchess and Frivolity before going deep sea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default assiduity

hi pedro
    you and many others got disharge books through everard ships , a good company as were alot of other coasting companies for getting away to sea without going through a sea school, i myself getting mine when i joined GSNC ,MARSWORTH in goole where i live back in 1966 .great britain had a large fleet back then [ what happened to it ?] i wonder.
    don

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Everards

I was in the Spontaneity for a short time i could not wait to get out of her coal dust in my mattress when i joined her .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default discharge books

i am glad to see somebody other than myself went to sea before getting a discharge book .in my case i shipped out with doreys of guernsey on the portelet a 900 ton collier in april 1956 .i was on her for 4 months .i left her and went to the pool for a deep water berth . all i had was my weekly pay slips .they laughed and said you are bound for the vindicatrix sea school . the vindi was a piece of cake after 4 months on a collier .i did go deep water afterwards with smiths of cardiff on the indian city . the end of november 1956 . peter mccann r664235

6. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy Aureity

Hi Folks I did six weeks on the Aureity, what a heap of junk, the quadrent on the steering gear had three teeth missing steered like like a drunken cow, the Decca navigator kept breaking down, and we steered point to point, spent three days in Gravesend steam cleaning the tanks, my skin was like rubber for weeks,
    The old man was an 7 day adventist would not allow swearing or booze on the ship.I was lucky I did not get D.R.ed, as I had words with him one night crossing to the Hook,ended up having him by the throat, he made me do 4 hour stint on the wheel for getting drunk, I was glad to see Hull. Keep the stories coming, its great reading, Best wishes Darrell Kellett.
    Last edited by Darrell Kellett; 31st August 2010 at 10:52 PM.

8. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Everards

i sailed on the Alchymist,regular run to the Channel Islands great skipper and crew,also sailed on Ethel everard on the Casablanca Kings Lynn run with phosphates,and signality running up to Norwich ,all great jobs and fond memories Kalibah Charles

10. Thanks Robert George Young thanked for this post
    Likes Robert George Young liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default selectivity

Hi mike,
    i joined the selectivity in blyth on 5/12 60, i had to pay off at greenhithe due to an accident i had at plymouth. We were moveing bearths and i was a young ,keen o.s.
    Climbing the mainmast to hook up the whistle string. The whistle string had no lanyard
    so i was climbing one handed. Well i missed a rung,( only one ) and with a blast from the
    whistle i landed flat on my back on the winch island, luckyly missing the winches.
    I was carried from plymouth to greenhithe aboard her on full pay. One of the directors cars, with a uniformed driver, took me to kings cross, the driver had orders
    to stay with me untill my train left for doncaster.my old man m et me on the station. I had broke a bone in my foot but it turned out ok and i joined the supremity in drydock at
    goole 2 months later. It was a shame, i used to like the yellow perils.i was on three always foreign going.good days.
    All the best,
    tom aber........:d:d:d

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default similarity

HELLO ALL
    The Similarity was my first ship after leaving Gravesend S.S..Joined in Goole feb' '55,paid off in Goole
    Sep' 55.Regular run from Goole to Kingswear in Devon.Abit of an eye opener for a very green young'n.

Cheers,Len.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink yellow perils

hi, wondered where the box of toys were hiding, 1986, my last ship, the city, sat on greenhithe station waiting for the wife to bring my last bit of kit, a tesco carrier bag with 2 pairs of socks, 1 pair of underpants all my worldly goods. you know how it is, have to come from newcastle to greenhithe, your on a railway station and your thinking i cant carry this f-ing case anothern yard, idea if i throw it over a hedge i can pick it up later. so pissed on ossy white and vodka, couldnt remember which hedge it was.a rather sad end to 16 yrs at sea, but i thought it was better for me to finish with the sea than the sea to finish with me. was on the old selectivity 71 or 2 was cook on the new selectivity. cook on the doris1 remember her. my name is cyril, be nice to catch up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast