Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: everards 80s

Gulliver Guest

Default The Falklands Everards.....

Thank You “ Corrientes”,that explains it.The ‘Everard ships were really Comben Longstaff ships which retained their names when Comben Longstaff was taken over in 1980.

(Reading into a part history of Comben Longstaff,published by Mark Rowbotham in Shipping Today & Yesterday-May 2010)

‘On 30th April 1980 the ownership of Comben Longstaff was transferred to F.T.Everard & Sons Ltd.
    The 9 Comben Longstaff ships were quickly integrated into the Everards fleet,retaining their names and hull colouring,but with Everards funnel colours.

The Leicesterbrook and Lincolnbrook were the two ships which sailed for the Falklands in late 82.Both were of 1,599 grt built 76/7,and unlike the usual Comben Longstaff vessels,were fitted from new with hydraulic cranes which proved very reliable in operation.
    They made several voyages to the Falklands carrying a variety of military hardware and stores and were particularly well-suited to the transport of Chinook helicopters. “

Fates:
    LEICESTERBROOK Sold 1991. Foundered SE of Cabo Verde Islands 15.10.99.
    LINCOLNBROOK (Pic below) Sold 1986 . Foundered mid-N.Atlantic 30.01.08

Gulliver

2. Thanks john gamble thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everards were also in the suez crises of the 50's. and had two ships trading in New Zealand carying bulk cement , the ethel everard renamed Guardian carrier was one. They also traded regularly Kings Lynn to Casablanca and on the Russian run, some coasters dont you think?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Everards

Quote Originally Posted by EIFION View Post
    Everards were also in the suez crises of the 50's. and had two ships trading in New Zealand carying bulk cement , the ethel everard renamed Guardian carrier was one. They also traded regularly Kings Lynn to Casablanca and on the Russian run, some coasters dont you think?
    I was on the "Speciality" in 1958 as 2/m

I was also in SUEZ 1956 invasion on the lead convoy commodore ship "Salinas" going into Suez on 6th November, cannot recall any Everard ships, do you know which ones they were.

Agree with you that a lot of "Coasting" ships went deep sea on long voyages, the old "Cornishbrook" 1400grt went across the North Atlantic a few times, bounced around a bit though!!!!!!

Ivan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i was on the singularity in 81 and i was out in states, mexaco . and dare i say it she went though the canel to columbia ,and also they had another ship out there the jack walton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default everards

well boys i was a land lubber by the 80 s but was on the good old ft in 67, kirkness to workington newcastle run, ah those northern lights and them ffiords, memories boys enjoy them

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Leicesterbrook and Lincolnbrook weren't the only Everard ships on the Falklands run, the Singularity and the Jack Wharton also made several trips into Port Stanley - I sailed on both of them in '82 & '83.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Falklands

My dad John Payne sailed on the Leisterbrook to the Falklands, but this was just after the conflict finished.
    They took down chinocks seakings and fixed wing aircraft load in boxes. The chinocks flew the boxes into Ridham Docks and they were then stripped down and loaded onboard. I know he spent Christmas of 82/83 onboard as I bought the christmas tree for the crew mess!! Another name I can remember was a AB called Chris Bent. Dad was also on the Jack Warton running down to LIbera and the med, the Stability and Ligar Bay, and loads more. Everards sponsered my brother through sea school in 1986 and he did one trip with them on the Lincoln brook I think. Dads still at sea on DFDS at Dover but probably finishing up soon.

9. Likes john gamble liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

David, my memory isn't too good for names, but I may well have sailed with your Dad. I did a lot of time on the Jack Wharton, Stability and the Ligar Bay in the early to mid 80s.
    Med, West Coast of Africa etc...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 1952 I used to go in the Office of Everards in Greenhythe, and Ethel was a secretary , she was lovely, and at the age of 17, I fell in love with her. BUT only at a distance.
    If I had married her , I WOULD HAVE BEEN YOUR BOSS.
    I last heard of her when she married a vicar, dont know if it is true. she took over her fathers, FRED , company.
    In 2006 Everard sold out to James Fisher and Sons in the £24 million deal;
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 7th January 2012 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nickburt View Post
    David, my memory isn't too good for names, but I may well have sailed with your Dad. I did a lot of time on the Jack Wharton, Stability and the Ligar Bay in the early to mid 80s.
    Med, West Coast of Africa etc...
    Hi there
    My dad spent a long time on them three ships and also a few more. When he pays off wednesday I
    will ask him what other ships he was on. We live in Sittingbourne, and if you was running into Ridham on the Jack Warton my grandad used to pick the guys up and drop them into town so they could go on the lash and them pick them up and take them back at chucking out time.
    He was on the Ligar Bay running up the Thames and finished on her when they got rid of her and replace her with a new Ligar Bay which I think was red, but he didn't sail on her. She had a blue circle funnel on her if I remember right.
    I presume your name is Nick Burt so I will run it passed him wednesday, but he is pretty crap at names, what did you do onboard?
    Last edited by David Payne; 8th January 2012 at 04:55 PM.

13. Likes john gamble liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast