Thread: Joe Payne.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Joe Payne.

Hi All,
    Did anyone ever sail with Joe Payne chief steward with Anglo American then Esso during the
    1940s-50s and 60s a great Liverpool character, I sailed with on numerous occasions and found
    him a great person.
    cheers Norman.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Joe Payne.

Hi Norman
    You posted this some time ago, but I have just seen it. Joe Payne is my Grandfather, now departed. He was indeed a character, and I loved to hear the stories he told of his time at sea. I always believed them, even if my wife didn't! We had a big family reunion a few years back and several relatives didn't doubt some of the things he told me, particularly during his time in the War.

It is good to hear you enjoyed sailing with him, it would be great to hear back from you.

Cheers
    Mark Payne

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mark, I hope I am corrected but Norman lived about a mile away from me, I used to mail him often and we had intended to meet up over a coffee in a little coffee shop not far from either of us, That was a few years ago until replies to my emails stopped. I don't think the guy is around anymore sadly. Regards Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Payne View Post
    He was indeed a character, and I loved to hear the stories he told of his time at sea. I always believed them, even if my wife didn't! Cheers
    Mark Payne
    Alas it is very difficult for shorewallahs (no disrespect intended) to believe what happened to us at sea, or what we did for entertainment, I sailed in the immediate post war era, so nearly all my shipmates for the next few years had sailed in war time, They were just glad to be alive and lived life to the full and led us youngsters (willingly) into adventures and sometimes misadventures (more often than not), how we never ended up in the clink in foreign climes is still mystery, but you continue to believe your grandfather, as embellished a little or not they will be based on fact. When on the ocean itself we didn't need to seek adventure mother nature provided plenty of her own, sometimes very frightening and unbelievable, and at other times pure nivarna in views that can only be seen in a 360 degree horizon when at sea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Terry, I’m sorry to hear this, thanks for letting me know

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ivan. I’ve just been reading some of the stories of things that happened at sea, from the the good times, to the bad, all whilst taking a break from working at my desk at home. So you’re right, it hard to believe sometimes but largely true, so I’ve taken a mental note to not complain about the ‘tough’ day I’ve had!

9. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post