Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Esso Edinburgh scrapped in Taiwan 1976

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Esso Edinburgh scrapped in Taiwan 1976

Were you a member of the crew on board the Esso Edinburgh in 1976?
    It was only my second ever trip and was lucky enough to have Captain Edward Harrison (the Cardiff Yank) in charge.
    I was the youngest member on board when she was scrapped in Taiwan in October 1976.
    I remember lots of characters from my 5 month journey which start in May at Norfolk Virginia.
    My other ships included
    1976 - Caledonia & Fawley
    1977 - Mercia & Ulidia
    1978 - Dalriada & Cambria

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cambria

The Cambria drove me nuts, 4 hours ashore in 5 months ahggggg food was good, crew was good mostly,
    cabins good, it was just the run! 9 knots max....I was on the Edinburgh about 72, it was my first ship.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hi Mark and Lee,

I was Lecky on Cambria Edinburgh Mercia on the following dates:

Mercia, Rastanura 04/10/69 to Milford Haven 05/11/69
    Mercia, Milford Haven 06/11/69 to Rotterdam 05/01/70
    Mercia, Rastanura 08/04/70 to Rotterdam 27/04/70
    Edinburgh, Rastanura 23/07/70 to Portland USA 03/10/70
    Cambria, Fawley 05/05/72 to Rastanura 10/08/72
    Mercia, Fawley 28/11/72 to Marseille 05/03/73
    Mercia, Mina al Ahmadi 16/04/73 to Savona 04/08/73
    Mercia, Mina al Ahmadi 12/12/73 to Tenerife 26/01/74
    Mercia, Bahrain 19/05/74 to Fawley 01/07/74

Regards Steve R77014 South Derbyshire

4. Likes Mark Williams liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Esso Edinburgh.

Mark,was she the old Esso Edinburgh,originally George W.Mac.Knight or was she a later one? I was in the Esso Newcastle,origally Robert F.Hand.They were some of the original Anglo American Oil Company ships,before it became Esso Transportation Company.This was back in 1950. Might have to change my namr to Ancient Mariner.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Hawkeye,
    this ESSO EDINBURGH was built 1963/4, one of a 47,000 ton class, including the Esso`s`CARDIFF and LINCOLN.
    I sailed with Mark when I was on the ESSOs, Caledonia, Ulidia and or Esso Dalriada, I think he was a Cadet and I was Third Mate.
    Cheers
    Hi Mark.
    Cheers, Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only Brian I can remember was an Engineer - had a lovely wife called Pat.
    Spot on about me being a cadet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Brian

Just looked at your profile, and that has brought back some memories.
    Were we on all those ships together?
    You loked after me in all fairness - hope you are well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mark, yes we did sail together with ESSO,
    Here are the ships,

Esso Ulidia, Third Mate, 19 January 1977 joined at Milford to Fawley then round the Cape to the Gulf.
    Paid off in Slagen on 14 April 1977.
    I remember an Engineer called Brian Wooton with his wife, they came from the Isle of Wight. Happy ship, Good Captain.

Esso Dalriada, Third Mate. Joined 2 October 1978 in Dubai and paid off 1st February 1979 after having my leg crushed on Sea Island off Rastanurah, the ship was outward bound for Singapore. The Arabs in Al Khobar hospital tried to amputate the leg, "No problem we take it off and fix you for good. " I got out of there fast with a brush as a crutch. I still have the leg.

How time flies, only seems like yesterday when we on those VLCCs.

Been retired for a while now the only sailing I do now is the world cruises every year with Cunard mostly,
    Hope your keeping OK.

Cheers and all the best,
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Angry Lets go back a few years!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Hawken View Post
    Mark,was she the old Esso Edinburgh,originally George W.Mac.Knight or was she a later one? I was in the Esso Newcastle,origally Robert F.Hand.They were some of the original Anglo American Oil Company ships,before it became Esso Transportation Company.This was back in 1950. Might have to change my namr to Ancient Mariner.
    The G W Mac & Robert F Hand etc were the old Director named ships that were still sailing when i joined the Company in Feb 1948. The Company name had been changed to Esso Transportation Co. shortly before that. Did my first trip on T2 Cleveland [Cleveland Petroleum was asubidiary of ESSO] Spent 7 months Abadan to Palermo & other places in Tunisia. Spent most of my time working for ESSO . The food was damed good and a decent crew. She had just been seam strapped in Newport News. My discharge book was left in t
    he U.K. when I came to the States in 1967 so where it is now is anybodys guess!I can remember signing on one of the old ships for a run job to Bremerhaven. Was on the CHristobal, Avonmouth and a heck of a lot more. Flew to N.Y. [two complete crewes for the Richmond and Rochester] and luckely iwas on the Richmond. The Rochester broke in two onthe St Lawrence on its way to Aruba. We spent 17 months on the Aruba/N.Y.[Con Edison ] run with ocasional side trips.We carried tarmacadam in the centre side tanks.
    Today one just lives on memories.Ah well !!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Esso Edinburgh

Hello all
    Just joined this site so i thought i would spend my first post with a comment on my first ship the Esso Edinburgh. I joined in Halifax N.S in March 1973 (i think), as Deck Boy basicly, 17 years old and fresh out of Sea Training School Gravesend. In those days the new crew would meet at the Esso head office in London. Guess who got to carry the mail? First time I had been on an aircraft, first time I had slept in a hotel and the first time i had ridden in an American Limo. As most new faces to the Navy I was experiencing a lot that was 1st, my town of Rochdale was not renound for its seafaring history.

I cannot recall many people i sailed with but i can say that i was made most welcome by everyone. A well built ship with wooden panels in the officers accommodation. Spent 4.5 months and paid off in Singapore having passed through the Panama Canel on the way across. I recall telling myself that 'this was the life for me'. I rejoined the ship in 1974 as a first trip Mechanic having come off the Esso Hampshire as a Trainee. I can't remember where i joined the second time but i think it was Baltimore. I stayed with Esso untill June 1985, my last ship was the Esso Clyde i was motorman by this time due to the rapid decline of our Steam ship numbers.

Regards to all past ship mates who ever/ Where ever you are.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast