Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Esso's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ESSo

ref post #1

It used to also mean, "Every Sucker Signs Once", or "Every Sat and Sunday Off", But both those quotations were not true when I sailed with them in the Early 60s, it nice to think I have a small pension to come soon from Exon/Mobile, it will help pay my Gas bill, John.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 30th October 2009 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John,
    I sailed with ESSO on the American coast 1957&1958 on the Esso Syracuse
    and Esso Montivideo did the same run as yourself, realy enjoyed it. A change
    from the Persion Gulf.
    cheers Norman.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy It was falling to bits!

Hi All,
    I first went to sea on the Esso Winchester in 1961 as a junior engineer, not a bad ship but we only did boring runs to the Middle East and back to either Fawley or Milford Haven.
    However, my second ship was the Esso Exeter - and that was a rusty heap that threatened to (and did) fall apart at the slightest provocation! I have never worked so hard in all my life as I did on that heap!
    The only bright side of that sign-on was that we went to some interesting places in the USA/Caribbean/Venezuela/Dutch West Indies/etc - well, if you can call the seamens' missions at those places interesting! LOL!

And that was my career with Esso, I couldn't wait to quit when I got home after six months on the Exeter. After that I joined Cable and Wireless, talk about chalk and cheese, those C&W ships were immaculate and I had some truly great times in some beautiful parts of the world.

Peace to All.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dave Wyatt?

ref post#11

Hi Trader
    do you remember a Third Mate Dave Wyatt for the Isle of White on the Esso Lambeth?
    I sailed with him as Second mate in the mid seventies, he also stood by Esso Anglia and finished up marrying the Travel Agent in Chanteurs-de-Atlantique before they sailed.
    Best wishes,
    Steve R777014 South Derbyshire
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 30th October 2009 at 08:42 AM.

Ron Hamilton Guest

Default Esso memories

I feel like a relic from the 'Ark' when I read that Trader said the worst accommodation he had was steel bunks ,tin lockers & 3 to a cabin ! I sailed on a variety of vessels which it would be hard to convince people today of the conditions , so I'll say no more at this point . I sailed on the D.L. Harper in 1949 ( previously a German vessel ) with Esso , couldn't believe my luck , great food , good officers & Captain Pugsley , & crew. Sailed to gulf & west Indies , Tenerife (before the tourists stuffed it up ) St Vincent, etc. & in 1950 the John Flanigan to the Gulf. I think I must have stayed too long in the sun at this point because left her & joined a wreck , the 'old' Luminetta ,Moss's of Liverpool which is a story of horrors on it's own , which I keep promising myself I must write before I pass on! I joined the Esso Birmingham in '53 for 3 trips up the Gulf & decided I'd had enough of tankers despite Esso being the best company I sailed with & when I came ashore eventually I faithfully would only purchase petrol from Esso petrol stations , bypassing BP everytime ! Ron , N.Z.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hi Ron

Good to see your post Ron and incase you dont know about it (you probably do) try the link and look at all your old ships turned into Toyota Cars and Razor Blades by now

http://www.aukevisser.nl/uk/id299.htm

All the best and regards

Steve R770014 South Derbyshire

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nearly 10.000 photos and info of only Shell tankers

Do you want to exchange photos and info of Shell tankers?
    Will send CD´s and DVD´s with photos.
    Brgds Jorgen
    WSS member 07200
    jorgen.tankers@gmail.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I spent 5 years with ESSO What a company till they stopped the overtime. Ended up in Japan on the Esso Winchester I think , Boy what food . The best on I was on was the ESSO Cardiff. Any one want to talk abot ESSo my email adress is michaelscouts@optusnet.com.au.
    Mick

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hi Captain Kong,

What other ships were you on? wondered if our paths have crossed? Do you remember Mate and Master Bryn Mayer I see him now and again. I am also in touch with Alan Pampling Sparks with IMR he still lives with his Dad in Harlow. Have you listed your ships yet?
    Regards
    Steve Sherratt R770014 South Derbyshire

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Esso

Hi Brian, happy days and it took me years to get used to Shore Side. In 79 I set up my own business and it ran for twenty years and then we wound it up when work dried up. I see Bryn from time to time at Family gatherings (he is a cousin by marriage or as we used to say “their cat crossed our garden”)
    Are you able to attend our Third Liverpool Meet Up next Saturday? I see you are from Bolton and that’s not too far. We are expecting 18-20 and should be a good day out swinging the lantern Norman Wormwald will be there he’s Ex ESSO too.
    Must go the day job beckons
    Steve R770014 South Derbyshire

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast