Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: ellerman papayanni 50s to 60s

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brian a blast from the past there,Chatty Matty the mess room mauler.Peter must have gone at a very early age,very sad.Your brother would have been really p--d off with that set up bet he made it his business he never fell in to sailing with you again.I was AB on her Dont recall who i shared cabin with now, 51 years long time eh.Good times love to go back do it all again.Cheers.
    Charlie
    Last edited by Charlie Hannah; 14th November 2011 at 01:48 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Charlie,
    Yes ar Kid still moans about it 51 years later,
    Here are a couple of photos, One I took from the Nest with an old kodak Brownie Box camera, the old France doing somersaults in the Western. may bring back a few memories. I always enjoyed going on her, never stayed long but would always take her when Charlie Repp offered it in the Pool.

Chatty Matty from Cincinatty must have gone to the breakers with her.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 14th November 2011 at 09:44 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian i first joined the France in July 54 paid off Jan.55.Chatty Matty was on it then,she wasn't a bad job.Good pics.Thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi Brian thank s for the memories and the photo of the France did sail on her as asst /cook 23 /4/54 to 3/ 8/ 54 worked on the roast corner in the forward galley with jimmy wilson" he was on the France along time & another ast cook called Ivan cannot think of his surname ., he was a Scouse bloke as well he played a great came of football as well great days i learnt a lot about good food on the France thanks mate' Lennon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi Tony recon i remember that trip you guys might have started w.w.w3 with the Garry business . the things we got up to hey! crazy days , we had one of the first loads of oil pipe's on board that trip for B P the start of the oil drilling there''i know we had a lot of top B P & local Toffs? on board when we got to Benghazi all to do with getting a shipping contact ' i remember i had to but a meal on for them of a sort, then there was the free gift of vino on that Ship by the Bucket{ Literary { you should
    remember as you where the CHIPPY but it looks like we survived mate great times but it was my last ship on the UK pool on my last trip i joined the strike got V N C then after the strike was over could not get another ship . later i came over to Australia &did 14 years on ship s here a lot of water under the keel since BENGHAZI mate thanks for the flash back lennon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Maltasian

Hi Mr Lenon,i was on the Maltasian as Galley Boy 24-12- 56 untill Feb57,the second COOK BOB jONES Asked me to lend him Hundred cigs,anyway when we got to Famagusta aweek later the Customs came on board the ship,and asked to search our cabin,he gave me the 100 cigs back there and then,i got fined £2-10 shillings for having 100 cigs over the odds ,i was only £9 a month One Bad ?he was from Garston:Liverpool.The cook was Gerry MACKMANAMAM Ahead case.still enjoyed the trip.Sailed on about six more ellerman ships later.Take Care from Ken.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default hi chris

iwas with ellermans 1950s 1960s mv lucian and mv palmelian as 4th eng happy days

8. Likes brian clark liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default lucian

hi john my first ship was mv palmelian a very unhappy ship due to the seconed eng and a chief eng who preferd the captains company ratheran his enginners company so when joining mv lucian i coudnt believe the comaraderi they were happy days exept on one ocasion when leaving cadiz about midnight with the pilot on board we sank a fishing boat that cut across our bows with the loss of two lives and even though the pilot was on board lucian i think ellermans were prosecuted is there any one out there who was in the lifeboat with me when searching for survivers ps i left lucian november 1960 so i just missed you great little ships the 5 of them palmelian lucian darinian mercian and crosbian the 5 of them almost identicle nice to speak to you john
    Last edited by alan turpin; 12th January 2012 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Portugal & The Med

Started with the S.S Venetian, what a Med run Gibralter, Malta, Cyprus, Israel, and Casablanca on the way back, then over to the M.V Lucian, Portugal in the 60s too much.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default two names

Hi Ken, re the maltasian .I joined the City Of norwich in London Vic dock in 64,then took her up to West India dock where she changed her name to Maltasian and hence the med run.I believe that she was running to the east prior to me joining( its hard to remember that far back) ,is this the same ship ,we were all aft and steam whinches ,plus old cowl vent straight into the cabin above my bunk, soaked twice that trip, when forgot to turn them much to the amusement of the crowd regards Bob c

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast