Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: ellerman papayanni 50s to 60s

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bond View Post
    Hi Keith
    I was on the Lancastrian during 1958 for 5 trips working in catering and yes we did have curry for breakfast.
    I can't remember the name of the cheif cook but he was a scouser and a decent bloke. We used to put a fried egg on top of our breakfast curry.
    Happy days
    Regards
    Chris Bond
    Hi Chris,
    looks like we were on the Lancastrian at the same time, to be quite honest i dont recall who was who on the ship, iwas a jos at the time. I dont really recall where we went, except it would have been to the Med, regards Keith Tindell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was in the Patrician in May 1963 coasting. The bosun asked me if I wanted to go deep sea in her, but I didnt like the sailor's accomodation, right above the steering flat, and it was a steam steering engine, so the racket was unbelievable.
    Anyway, I turned it down , and the next thing I heard was that she sank off Gibrallter after a collision with a US ship,( 'Steel Exporter' I seem to recall.)
    A year or so later I did a trip in the Grecian. I remember little about it, but there was always lots of boozing going on
    Regards,
    cranesailor

Gulliver Guest

Default s.s.PATRICIAN Collision....

Just an information update:-

s.s.PATRICIAN cargo ship blt .1947 3,520 grt.Owners Ellerman Lines,Liverpool was on a voyage from Constanta to Dublin with general.On 8.7.63 she sank after being in collision 4 n.m.off Tarifa(Gibraltar) with s.s. SANTA EMILIA,a C2 type ex American cargo ship,blt.1945 and of 8,211 grt.Owners M.J.Ossario.This vessel was repaired and eventually scrapped in 1971.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John i was in the patrician sailed belfast xmas eve1953 left her in liverpool due to illness 6/54 i now live in elizabeth sa might meet up sometime john your name rings a bell my name tom noble ps did you by chance know jim rosseter
    Last edited by Tom Gedge Noble; 5th November 2011 at 05:23 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ellerman Papayanni

Hi The nearest I can get is My Old Man Joe Murphy Steward Arcadian, Florian,Lovely Liitle ships good run don't know why He didn't stay may be it was the money,but thats seafarers for you.He was on loads of ships I could name them If you want, also have a very good colleague Bert Pearson Purser Blue Star 28 yrs.
    Thanks for now Terry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi tom i was on the tamaroa xmas 53 i did know jim rosseter if it is the same bloke sailed with him on the mobile Flinders out of south australia in the early 80's i live out at kadina s/a these days also sailed with a great old chief cook in Ellerman papayanni called Tom Gedge on the ionian if i remember may 55 till June 56 tom came from the newcastle area but lived in birkenhead good to hear from you mate i still recon will had the best days john

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    The strike was on for about three weeks then the Committee decided to stop the strike for two weeks, a lot of guys who really didnt want to strike then got away, I stayed out, I did not believe the two week break would do any good. It didnt so the strike started again and lasted about three more weeks at the end of August. I was off the Pool then until I sneaked aboard the Empress of France on 1st of October 1960 and got a Pier Head jump.
    I joined the France on 6 Oct1960 that was on the Monday. We signed on on the prom deck and the shipping master tried to rub the seamen' s reform stamp out of my book i grabbed it out of his hand and told him he leaves things as they are, and never ever pull a stunt like that again!i thought he was going to choke he turned purple.
    Last edited by Charlie Hannah; 12th November 2011 at 02:06 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Charlie, I have just found my discharge book, a bit tatty now and falling to pieces.
    I signed on the France same time. and paid off again on 25 October. 1960. I think she had a Southern Irish crew on board for the strike.The Bosun was an Irish man who had taken George Britains job.I was AB then.
    I still have my card...........here it is.............
    I think most opf the Committee are dead now, My mate Peter Barlow died young, Paddy Neary went back to Belfast not longer after he came out of gaol and then he died

Cheers Brian.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine is the same Brian, falling apart,we were on it together paid off Oct 25.I Cant recall there being any Irish in the crowed,though,i remember at the last strike meeting on the Friday we all agreed not to front the pool till the Monday when we picked it up.I signed. on the France.Sad news About Paddy. and Peter, R.I.P what happened to cause peter to go so early? R.I.P
    Last edited by Charlie Hannah; 13th November 2011 at 01:22 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Charlie yes we did sail together, only 51 years ago,
    No there were no Irishmen in the crowd , only the Irish Bosun stayed on, I had many a go at him, George Britain was the regular Bosun but didnt come back. .
    When the strike started the CPR Shore gang took her to Cork and then an Irish crowd took her out and they got off when the strike finished
    Peter Barlow was a fireman, I first sailed with him on a Shell T2 tanker in 1954 and he was a real good fellow. When the strike was on his mother had a Canny near Vauxhall Road and his Mother used to feed us for free during the strike.
    Peter died in the earl 60s I think he had some kind of Liver disease.
    My younger brother was also with us he was a deck boy so I always made him do my look out on the 8 to 12 at night so I could go in the Pig.He didnt like it cos the other fella never relieved him either. I was in the same cabin as Chatty Matty, the messman.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 13th November 2011 at 12:36 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast