Thread: Ellerman WilsonGroup

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ellerman WilsonGroup

Hi To all, I sailed on the SS Leo from 6/765 to 13/9/65 three weelkly trips to the med and back except when we went aground on the breakwater coming out of Bengazi, Just my luck Iwas on the wheel, we stayed there for about 10 days before we were towed off,then stayed (impounded ) for another two weeks, god we were all glad to see the back of that place.
    My second Ellerman ship was the SS Carlo, three weekly trips to Sweden and back to West India Docks,from 21/9/65 to 7/3/66, great ship great crew, great times, until we got stuck in the ice over night, in the morning the ice-breaker come to free us bumped our bow, and the lower stem plate sheered off, we had to pump out the lower fore-peak, then get the plates off the upper- peak , so as the water could drain away, then shore up part of the upper-peak and the chain locker, ready for the force 8 that was expected once we got through Kiel and did it blow, instead of 36 hours from Kiel to London it took us nearly a week.still we made it and the fore peak was reasonably dry.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All,
    I was on the Cattaro July 62- Aug 62, 4 on 4off, good money, but a crew of piss heads, whose main pleasure was fighting, so pleased to get off and get back deep sea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ellerman Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Kellett View Post
    Hi To all, I sailed on the SS Leo from 6/765 to 13/9/65 three weelkly trips to the med and back except when we went aground on the breakwater coming out of Bengazi, Just my luck Iwas on the wheel, we stayed there for about 10 days before we were towed off,then stayed (impounded ) for another two weeks, god we were all glad to see the back of that place.
    My second Ellerman ship was the SS Carlo, three weekly trips to Sweden and back to West India Docks,from 21/9/65 to 7/3/66, great ship great crew, great times, until we got stuck in the ice over night, in the morning the ice-breaker come to free us bumped our bow, and the lower stem plate sheered off, we had to pump out the lower fore-peak, then get the plates off the upper- peak , so as the water could drain away, then shore up part of the upper-peak and the chain locker, ready for the force 8 that was expected once we got through Kiel and did it blow, instead of 36 hours from Kiel to London it took us nearly a week.still we made it and the fore peak was reasonably dry.
    Well lads reading the above, it seems it would be best to check the crew list before signing on with Darrell, who doesn't seem to be the luckiest person at sea !!!!!!

I did a relief job on the "Teano" in 1961, you cannot have been on that one Darrell, as I'm still here !!

All the best
    Ivan