Thread: Missing Logbook

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Missing Logbook

My Father Frederick Ellis, born in Toxteth, Liverpool 18th. September 1893, went away to sea in approximately 1908/1909. His Discharge Book number was R162326. This number is the only record we have of his Discharge Book.

We believe from the beginning he was with Elder Dempster. In 1914 at the outbreak of World War One he joined the Army an served in Salonica throughout the duration of the War. In 1911 he married Mary Gorman of Toxteth, Liverpool. They had Six Children. Three Girls and Three Boys born 1920, 1923, 1927, 1929, 1931 and 1934. I Denis Francis Ellis was the youngest born in 1934.

In 1936 my father went back to sea, With Elder Dempster. What we know is. He served first on the Adda becoming an AB and then Bosun which he was when she was torpedoed and sunk On May 26th 1941. The next ship we know that he served on, as Bosun, was the Elder Dempster Liner Dagomba which was torpedoed and sunk on November 3rd 1942.

The next ship which we know of, his last ship. Was the Thurland Castle. Later renamed the Fulani. He was to make one more last trip. The Thurland Castle left Liverpool on November 30th 1945, on the way to New York, via a stop at Belfast. on December 7th. 1945. My Father, Bosun Frederick Ellis, died and was buried at sea. I do have the abstract of the ships log for this day.

How can I fill in the Gaps of my Fathers Life at sea. To whom can I
    contact for this information. I honestly and sincerely would appreciate any assistance that may be offered.

Thank You
    Denis F Ellis
    KunzEllis@comcast.net

A little about me
    My discharge Book number was R517414. Following a 6 month apprentice Cook Course in the Liverpool Nautical Culinary School. (Dicky Bond’s) and a three month Pastry Cook Apprenticeship. I then served on the Accra as a 16 year old Kitchen Boy making my first trip to the W.C. Africa on January 30th 1950. 12 Days after my Sixteenth Birthday. Coming down with a touch of fever on the sailing day of July17th.1950 I was sent to Liverpool’s tropical School of Medicine for treatment and then, after some Shore Gang works, I was assigned to the Apapa, with a promotion to Junior Assistant Cook.

1951: A change in Life was about to take place. Following some strong influence of my senior peers on the Apapa I applied for, and while being underage for the position. I was accepted, on May 14th 1951, as an Assistant Cook on the Canadian Pacific’s Liner, Empress of Scotland. I went on to become the Senior Sous Chef, on the Scotland and then in October of 1957 following the Scotland being sold to the Hamburg Atlantic Line I. Was transferred to the Empress of England. I remained on the England until I emigrated to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in October of 1960. A new life was ahead of me.

The American Hotel Company that I joined in Canada in 1960 transferred me to the United States in 1963 where I have remained since. I retired in 2004 after some 55 plus years in kitchens around the world. I am Widowed with two sons. I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Thank you
    Denis F. Ellis
    And Family.
    KunzEllis@comcast.net

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Missing Logbook

Vernon it would appear has not seen this posting yet.
    Once he does he will be more than able to offer you some assistance.
    He is the very best at this and can be trusted to get it right.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Denis
    Thank you for the Thread, i and others will try and assist where we can, it is a bit difficult when one has died at Sea, Records are hard to find.
    However your Father is recorded as you know Deaths at Sea.
    Age at 50 Born 1895 Died 1945. On the Ship you mention.

At this time all i can give you is the National Archive Ref Number for this,if you can get it ,may hold more info that you seek.
    Possibly you can Email them and ask how to go about it all.

Ref is BT334/6 Box 0106 Page 4 British Armed Forces and Overseas Deaths and Burials Died of Haemorrhage Of What ???? MPB481 ?? Not sure what the Letters and Numbers stand for.

So as said hopefully this will guide you futher into where you may be able to actually get his Service Records ,
    Good Luck
    Cheers

In case you dont have this here is a copy of his Medal Card

Your own personal Sea Record i guess you have it anyway it is in this Batch Ref.
    Cheers

BT372/1246/46

BT 372/1246/46

ELLIS, Boatswain, FREDERICK, M.V. Thurland Castle (Liverpool), Merchant Navy. 7th December 1945. Age 50. Son of George and Sarah Ellis; husband of Mary Ellis, of Grassendale, Lancashire. Panel 107.(Tower Hill).

https://www.benjidog.co.uk/Tower%20H...0to%20110.html

If you would like (Or you may have them already) the Movement Cards of the Ships you mention here then i can assist in that??
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 11th September 2020 at 07:37 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you, Doc.
    I will proceed from here. I will let you know how I do.
    Take care and have a good weekend. Denis F Ellis. 6:19.am.
    September 11th. 2020.