Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Elder Fyffes lost shipmates

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Elder Fyffes lost shipmates

Hi all, I was with Fyffes 1974-1984. Started as Engineer Cadet left as 3rd Engineer but managed 1 trip as 2nd Engineer. Sailed on Magdalena, Motagua, Manzanares, Manistee, Bayano, Davao and Darien. All motor, no steam.
    Great time with great folk. Left when the ships started to be laid up prior to transfer.

2. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Maurice, just looking back to see if I got any contacts. I tried to contact you before but I got no joy, perhaps you would like to chat to me now. I believe Mick fulton Is now dead, He was my best Mate at sea. You are the only person who has contacted me here. Hope you contact again.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jerry and others. I was on Fyffes Nicoya from Jan 1950 to May 1950 doing three runs from Avonmouth to British Cameroons as EDH then QM for the final run. Great small ship which went for a few hours to a village up a river somewhere near Tiko. I recall buying a marmoset at the village for a few woodbines but said beast was so inconsiderate it jumped overboard and swam ashore Then did two trips from May 1950 to July 1950 on the Ariguani from Avonmouth to Jamaica as EDH then QM for the second trip. Not such a good ship.
    Ken T
    R412277

6. Likes Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My father Leslie Norman Johnston was with Fyffes, on the Tenadores, Tilapa, Sulaco, Sinola and Turrialba from 1961 to 1962 he was 2nd Cook and Baker.
    He passed away on the Turrialba on the 29th November 1962, he was buried off the coast of Arrmuelles, does anyone remember him?

I was sponsored through catering college in Liverpool by Fyffes and sailed on the Matina III August 1964 to November 1964, Great ship intro to Appleton's Rum still drink it today.

8. Thanks happy daze john in oz, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jerry, sorry that I cannot place you on any banana ships but that not mean I did not sail with you.
    I was also on the Comito, Goito, Zent, Samarlia this last one was an ex-gun boat during the second world war, how Fyffes got hold of it I don't know, it was prone to breaking down and we went down to West Africa for bananas and then back to Avonmouth where I paid off and joined the Samarlia. have no idear what other trips I did with Fyffes as I cannot remember what happened to my discharge book.

10. Thanks Robert Brew, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Robert Brew liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Allan, I can't remember the dates I was on the Turrialba, it was the last ship I sailed on before I left the sea to come to NZ, I was also 2nd cook & baker the name was Bob Brew , the cook was George Lovering from Garston Liverpool, ( he passed away many years ago ) the sad part we also lost a sailor from heart problems, also buried at sea, it never leaves you.
    If I remember I did 2 trips on her, I can't remember the cook on the first trip, but george was on my last trip... I was also on the Reventazon with George Lovering, she was my favorite, eric hughes was 2nd cook & baker before me.
    Its been along time since I left the sea, a lot of memories are still with me at 82. but age dulls the gray cells.
    Anyway allan take care from this side of the world, cheers Mate Bob.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Chris
    Don’t know if you remember me , I was cadet/3o from sept 78 thru till dec82 on M class?
    Great times that I will never forget probably the best cadetships ever lol.Ended up master with Hansons before coming ashore.
    Andy Gwynne

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jerry and others.
    I sailed on the Nicoya (The replacement) as JOS, EDH & QM from Jan 1950 to May 1950. All trips were to the British Cameroons for bananas. A great ship which I believe was seized from Germany at war end. After leaving the Nicoya I was EDH & QM on the Ariguani from May 1950 to July 1950 running to Jamaica.
    By coincidence, I have recently corresponded with one Bob Emmett who was RO on the Nicoya (The first??) when she was torpedoed in the St Lawrence in 1942. Bob, who is now 95 and lives in UK, is not a member of this site.
    Ken T
    R412277

Sorry guys. I find I had replied to this string previously. Evening madness??
    Last edited by Ken Trehearne; 16th November 2020 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Writer's confusion.

15. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3