It\s a nice beautiful sunny afternoon here, just S. W of Brisbane".Having a few Bevies," as they'd say in Scouse land."Give us a ciiggie there our kitd, ,an one for the judies auld fella"
No -one could have ,"gone to sea" without hearing these expressions , and others new to ones years.
As I look over my left shoulder to the Book case,,prominently displayed is the print of a young smiling fourteen years old,Raymond Steed.With the accompanying Poem , by Capt. Joe Earl.( 1947 )
Within weeks ,of joining the Merchant Navy in 1943 .. Ramond became a victim of a sinking ,
That young hero ,never survived to sit back in comfort and reminisce about his times at sea..

I.ve been a very satisfied member of this Web .Site, and others. the only avenue we have of speaking the sam e language, as it were.the phrase comes to mind, ;forgive them , for they Do not understand.
Alongside Raymond Steed Is a great photographk, Of Captain Donald Sorrell,of whom. I had the honour of being one of his Qm.s during a period in the nid, fifties.. He survived his apprenticeship ,and through the second World war , to become probably the most popular Master of the Queen Mary,Crew wise, that was undisputed. Amongst his other attributes, was his influence in raising funds galore for his favourite Charity.The Missions to Seamen..
capt Sorrel , Survived to retirement. unfortunately He succumbed to a Heart attack ,six months after retirement.
Why I.m writing this i think.Is because of the postings which the ship chrstal has attracted .THe postings , to me cover every aspect of a life at Sea, the dangers (taken for granted) .The families left behind, their survival acceptance of loss, ,children left behind ,and so oon.
from personal experience, i found that when the almost inevitable ocurred, (which it obviously didn't ,otherwise I wouldn't be sitting here now)One was more feared of the anguish one has caused ,by trying to follow, his ior hers calling.
to Wrap up. the postings ,of the Chuscal ,says it all.
Thank you for your time.