Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Submersible missing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Submersible missing

Just a bit of information I found on the missing submersible diving on the Titanic.

A Canadian research submersible, believed to be OceanGate’s Titan submersible, has gone missing while exploring the wreck of the Titanic. The submersible is truck-sized and holds five people, and usually dives with a four-day supply of oxygen. The U.S. Coast Guard is searching for the missing submersible and its five-person crew.
    Ship can dive to a depth 4000 mtrs the Titanic is at a depth of 3800 mtrs.(that depends on what website one gets the information from) some sites say
    Not sure if I agree with the idea of diving on the Titanic for profit. Tickets cost $250,000. I hope they can find her in time and it all ends well.
    This link maybe posted in another thread

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65953872

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Submersible missing

According to one USA expert on the subject the connection to the mother ship died after a bout two hours.
    Only 96 hours oxygen and no way to get another submersible to it in time.
    Even if they did there is no way they could be got out at that depth.
    On the front there are 17 bolts which the shore crew set when the people are inside.
    They can only be opened ashore.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins, cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it was less than half way down to the titanic so could implosion ruled out the balast tanks must have failed somehow it would be a very sad loss but still hope??jp

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My one desire whilst at sea was to stay above the water, myself and fellow seafarers did our best to obey that code, I had no desire whatsoever to find out what was in Davey Jones's locker.

If you play with fire you are liable to get burnt:-

As more and more facts emerge it becomes more evident that this was an unsafe practice. A statement from someone who has made the journey has advised that before embarking on the journey that participants have to sign a waiver stating that they understand that they may encounter breathing difficulties, panic attacks, subsequent medical conditions and that they may not return from the expedition, and that they are fully aware that the undersea vehicle they are travelling in has not been surveyed or passed by any regulatory body.

You pay anything from US$200,000 to $250,000 for the privilege of signing that piece of paper. The old adage comes to mind in that some people have more money than sense. If the Titanic had been a naval vessel, it would have been allocated as a War Grave and divers would not have been allowed anywhere near it.

We don't yet know the circumstances of the silence and we can only live in hope that survivors are indeed found alive, but alas that may be a forlone hope, but an investigation needs to take place about the operating practices currently employed by the company and founder, but it seems that the founder may be one of the people on board, which is yet to be confirmed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You wouldn’t of liked saturation diving then Ivan . I was asked once by the Navy if I wanted to be the third man in the diving bell and that was only to 500 feet. I declined . However I was quite happy to watch then swinming around with the goldfish on the tv monitors , Cheers JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is what the CEO of the company was supposed to have said last year, as mentioned he is one of those onboard the sub.

Stockton Rush, CEO told CBS news last year,you know, there’s a limit. At some point safety just is pure waste. I mean if you just want to be safe, don’t get out of bed.

‘Don’t get in your car. Don’t do anything. At some point, you’re going to take some risk, and it really is a risk/reward question. I think I can do this just as safely by breaking the rules.’

Um!!!Think there is a big difference between falling out of bed and falling to the bottom of the ocean.

Ivan your reference to if it had been a warship it would have been classified as a war grave. Sadly those rules do not seem to apply as they once did. An Illegal operation is being carried out by a group of Chinese they have been diving and doing salvage operations near Singapore onHMS Prince of Wales & HMS Repulse.
    https://news.usni.org/2023/05/25/u-k...of-wwii-wrecks.
    Last edited by James Curry; 20th June 2023 at 11:14 AM.

10. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Ivan your reference to if it had been a warship it would have been classified as a war grave. Sadly those rules do not seem to apply as they once did. An Illegal operation is being carried out by a group of Chinese they have been diving and doing salvage operations near Singapore onHMS Prince of Wales & HMS Repulse.
    https://news.usni.org/2023/05/25/u-k...of-wwii-wrecks.
    Yes I read about that in depth (pardon the pun), but the Chinese have always been a law unto themselves, as we both know from personal experiences.

I take my hat off to the Malaya Govt for having the nounce in arresting the Chinese vessel, the Mainland has strangely quiet about the situation.

12. Thanks James Curry thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

#4, This interview gave me some heart at lunchtime Ivan, Hamish Harding, a formidable individual and an experienced Explorer.

https://www.facebook.com/GBNewsOnlin...6684161317465/
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 20th June 2023 at 01:36 PM.

14. Thanks Ivan Cloherty, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A very sad thing this is , and can only hope for the best outcome BUT???
    And how uncanny as a Movie old one with similar Craft etc also went missing! Remember it?

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea is a 1961 American science fiction disaster film, produced and directed by Irwin Allen, and starring Walter Pidgeon and Robert Sterling
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

16. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

During the 4 years I worked on a DSV I have worked with submersibles both manned and unmanned , Jim Suits , and actual divers in the water at deeper depths than normal . Like Ivan had never any ambition to do so myself. As to diving at deeper depths in a rubber suit having hot water pumped continually round it to prevent actually freezing to death never appealed to me but was also part of what our special forces had to undergo . I suspect today some are still undergoing the after affects such as Athur Ritis and all similar medical complaints apart from all those who have already succumbed also to the various atmospheres and gasses they had to breath. These submersibles were to do away with all this as they breathed their own atmosphere. However as has proved time and time again The sea will always demand its pound of flesh. To undergo these risks for pleasure I could never understand. Maybe such people have something to prove. Apart from putting their own lives at risk they also put many others who will have to undergo the same risks. If they haven’t made contact at least by underwater telephone by now I wouldn’t hold out too much hope. It was amazing to me how clear underwater messages were so clear as many think water is not conducive to carrying sound , it is very conducive believe me but I don’t know up to what depth. A possibility strange as it may sound they could have had an argument with a whale in those waters.JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st June 2023 at 01:08 AM.
    R575129

18. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast